Does Wearing Your Nations Uniform Automatically Ensure a High Moral Ground?

by hillary_step 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Preston
    Preston

I's like to think that most people who put on the uniform are just a little bit better than the rest of us. It's not an easy thing going to a strange country with the possibility that everything about you will be lost in an instant. It makes me think of those that died in the front lines in Normandy, their combat lasted just a few seconds but their sservice made it possible for others to carry their work forward and people to remain free, and they'll never get their lives back.

It is my understanding that the military encourages servicemen to wear their uniforms in public, even when they are on vacation and I have no problem with that.

I do think that that functions plays an important role though. For instance, I don't think a young man who has fulfilled basic training should wear his uniform to let's say a graduation ceremony, I think the funcition for the setting is the cap and gown, and entirely different.

- Preston

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

Thank you, Dinah!

Actually, anyone who enjoys freedom can be proud of "those who went before." Some paid a tremendous price, some the ultimate. It takes 12 soldiers to support the one who is on the line of fire. It takes 1000 citizens to produce twelve soldiers. It takes ten-thousand to make the twelve feel appreciated.

Think about where you are today and from whence you came. If you feel fortunate (or-if you have squandered your opportunities to feel fortunate), someone(s) somewhere made that available to you. That is a real source of pride, whether it involves a front-line soldier, a support role, or a population who values their freedom and their history.

My own history is filled with those "who did their part." One great-grandfather, who was an officer in the 51st Indiana Infantry, was wounded twice during the Civil War. One grandfather and one great-uncle who saw action in Cuba during the Spanish-American War. A great-great uncle who, as an Army Colonel, was territorial governor of the Philippines after that same conflict. Another grandfather who enlisted and fought in France during WWI. A father who enlisted during WWII and then saw action as an officer in Korea...along with an uncle who did the same. Ethos and tradition are sources of pride for me - as it is worthwhile fight for what's worth fighting for. I feel no different about the situation today. There are those who would harm me or mine to satisfy their "zeal" without a second thought. If it's up to me, they won't get the chance.

Carlos

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Anyone can cloak themselves in any arrayment of things. They still are who they are.

• Carlos_Helms
    Carlos_Helms

Yes...but you must qualify to be a Marine, not just change your clothes.

Carlos

• dinah
    dinah

My grandfather and two of his brothers fought in WW2. I think Grandpa was in Italy. He was MIA once for three days. But they all came home alive. Good thing he did, or I wouldn't be here.

My Dad was drafted for Viet Nam, but his number put him in the National Guard. Thankfully, he didn't go to war, or I might not be here. The military really wanted my Dad to make a career out of it because his IQ was so high. But he didn't trust them (it was the 60's), and he was engaged to my mother and wanted to go home.

One of my friend's from high school just retired from the Navy. He is a great guy. I saw him at our reunion and we have kept in touch since then. Another friend from high school just retired from the Air Force, he's teaching school now. He is a great guy, too.

I guess the military is like everything else. You have your jerks, but you also have quite a few good men.

• chickpea
    chickpea

soldiers (marines, airmen, etc) are who they are
    regardless of their uniform...

check out the @sswipes in uniform who grace
    the pages of perverted justice's forum boards....
    bottom feeders can enlist as readily as persons
    of high caliber integrity and honorable intentions

wearing the nation's armed services' uniform,
    aside from any claims of pride and patriotism,
    is indicative of a legal agreement between
    the service member and the US govt.....
    both sides are required to honor the agreement
    and failure to do so should lead to ramifications....
    esp when it is the govt failing to live up to its promises

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit