visiting Richmond, Washing DC, Raleigh NC , Nashville IDEAS

by Champion 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Champion
    Champion

Hi everyone, I figured what better place to get the" truth" JWD. I am traveling with my sons to visit a few colleges June29-July5. My 16yr old son is looking at colleges and I am taking his younger brother(13) along with us. Would love some input if you have any.

We will first be in Richmond VA 29th and 30th.Visiting University of Richmond Monday 9:30. I will have a car so getting around is no problem.

Then Washington DC July 1st visiting one school. Will have time in the afternoon and evening

The on to Raleigh NC No time there visiting two schools in one day.

Flying to Nashville July 2nd in the evening. We will be there until the 5th. My son is taking a songwriting course at Vanderbilt(also checking out school) and will hopefully get to play at the Bluebird Cafe which is part of course (I think Wednesday ).

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have. My husband is not coming with us(someone has to work)but he is giving me his Garmin. My boys are already complaining about my getting lost and we haven't left yet!!

Thanks in advance, Champ

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Well what kind of advice are you needing? If you are wanting some sightseeing advice, I can give you some for Nashville.

While in Nashville make sure you go the Opry Mills outlet mall, also go and walk around the Opryland Hotel, they are both located side by side.

Also do a walking tour of downtown Nashville around broadway and the 2nd Ave area, lots of things to see and do.

• restrangled
    restrangled

When in D.C. I'd suggest taking them to the Smithsonian Air and Spece Museum....

http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/directions/

R's Hubby

• horrible life
    horrible life

In DC. The highlight of my trip, was the Library of Congress. Had to get free tour tickets, through my Senator. Almost skipped it, because..... I thought it was just a library. I was in awe. The paintings directly painted on the walls. The carved delicate marble, everywhere. The dome ceiling, showing the history of our nation, I could have looked at it for an hour, and not seen everything. The stories that the tour guide told, about the building of the Library.

Probably have to take Subway, don't know about parking places. Ask the Senators office. They can tell you.

You will have to call your Senator, and give SS#"s and birthdates, and Drivers Licence copies through fax. You may be able to get tickets. Don't think you have a chance, at this late date, to get tickets to the WhiteHouse, or Senate. Those go very fast, and long waiting period.

You could go to where they print the money, but you have to get there at 7:00 am?? and get timed tickets for the rest of the day. We got there at 8:30 am 2 days in a row, and they were out for the whole day. If you want me to give you directions to where you stand in line, I can tell you. Just PM me.

Arlington cemetary closes earlier than I would have thought. Since you will have a car, there is parking, you can cut off a long walk from the Subway to the cemetary. I would check online, to see closing time. Definately worth watching the changing of the guard at the unknown soldier.

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Richmond actually has some really good museums if you are at all into the Civil War, I believe the one is the Civil War Museum and the Whitehouse of the Confederacy is also very interesting. The downtown Richmond area has really come a long way in the past 10 years. There is an area called Carytown that is also pretty neat and monument avenue is also pretty interesting, with monuments of many of the Confederate Generals from the Civil War (or the War Between the States) and I believe one of Arthur Ashe which caused a bit of an uproar.

As for DC, the Holocaust Museum is an incredible place, but very moving and emotional (I have been four times and have still not seen it all), the Air and Space Museum is also wonderful as is the Museum of Natural History. If you want to take a tour of the Capitol Building, call your senator or representatives office and see if they can arrange it, normally can turn this around pretty quickly (much easier than the Whitehouse) and it is a personal tour by one of his or her staff members which can actually get you on the floor of the House Chambers if they are not in session. I also agree that Arlington and the tomb of the unknown soldier is an amazing site as well.

Washington is a great place for public transportation, pick up a metro guide, very easy to follow, cost effective and one feels very safe on it (unless they get in the Southeast Quad late at night). As for food in the DC area, the Foggy Bottom/GWU area has all types of food and it is a neat community.

If you are willing to drive a bit or take a bus, the National Cathedral is also pretty neat to see, and by heading up there you will drive down embassy row as well as past the Vice President's home at the Naval Observatory.

Have a great trip and good luck looking at colleges!!!

• horrible life
    horrible life

Insearchoftruth is right!! I forgot the Holocaust Museum. Get tickets online. They are timed. They are free at the door, or online for a couple of dollars. But you will have the tickets, just in case there are lines. Which will probably be the case.

I loved the Library of Congress, but the Museum would be where I would send you. Your sons may not really enjoy it, but the benefits of history, and the human aspect, they need to experience. When they hear the word Holocaust after seeing the Museum, it will take on a new meaning, and you are filled with compassion. (Something that JW's are severely lacking)

• insearchoftruth
    insearchoftruth

Getting tickets in advance is the way to go, because it used to fill up very fast in the morning, and they are only a couple of bucks and you can pretty much choose your entry time.

www.ushmm.org

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

While in Nashville, You gotta go see the country music hall of fame. It's right downtown. And while you're at it, since you'll be at Vandy, you won't be far from Music Row. I wish your son luck at the Bluebird. Wow, that place is an icon. And you gotta go to the guitar store downtown. I can't remember the name of it, but when you go, everyone will know which one I'm talking about. If you do go out to Opry Mills mall, you can go to Gibson's place there. It's a cafe, but they also have some of the stuff being built there. It's kind of neat.

Have fun while you're there.

• DJK
    DJK

Great suggestions for Washington, DC. The Ford Theatre was a nice take when I was there. Don't bother with the National Aquarium.

Same for Nashville. I honeymooned there nine years ago and I liked the Country Music Hall of Fame. It was still in the old building then while the new building was under construction. The Grande Ole Opry was a good time as well. You never know who might make a surprise appearence.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Where are you staying in Nashville?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit