Any actually embarrased to admit they were Witnesses?

by Robert7 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    As a kid I was embarrassed to admit I was a witnesses. and i felt guilty because I was embarrassed.

as an adult, I mention it only if it is part of the conversation, or for anti-witnessing purposes.

lisa

Ditto that. Except my name isn't Lisa.

• Casper
    Casper

After a few years in, I became totally embarrassed to let it be known that
    I was involved with them.

Today after 10 years out... I will mention it, if it comes up.

Cas

• Layla33
    Layla33

I am not embarrassed per se, but I don't bring it up in conversation unless there's some reason, there is nothing in my life that I do or how I live that relates to being a JW, other than dealing with some things with my family, which isn't that close to me overall.

Basically I just say I was forced to be in this religion and when I was 17/18, I got out and made my own life.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Thank you Heather. That was very well said...

• chickpea
    chickpea

it isnt something i herald as i walk into a room,
    and while i still am amazed that i was ever so
    blind as to allow assimilation, i will admit to it
    if there is a relevance ....

• oompa
    oompa
    robbie7:When I was active, I was always (usually) proud to talk about being a JW, our faith, reasons for our stupid beliefs on Birthdays, X-mas, etc.

Funny, but every since third grade....I was always so ashamed I avoided it at every chance....if ever the name JW or anything even similar of religious nature.....I would NEVER come clean with it..............hid it like like a gay in a closet..................oompa

damn em to hell

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Any actually embarrased to admit they were Witnesses?

Of course I was. So was every other dub. Those who were not at least a little embarrassed to admit it were either liars or clinically insane. Some of you may be shocked to learn that one person was so embarrassed to state to outsiders that he ws one of Jehovah's Witnesses that he went to great lengths and great expense to avoid it.

Was that Michael Jackson? Nope. It was none other than the LEADER of Jehovah's Witnesses, Nathan Homer Knorr. He traveled first class on airplanes just as do all the WTS elites. But he always bought TWO first class seats together. One for himself and one for his briefcase. Imagine spending several thousand dollars per trip for a briefcase. Before he started doing this he realized how uncomfortable it was when a passenger sitting next to him asked him what he did for a living. Briefcases don't ask such questions.

Knorr was not only a first class arrogant asshole, he was the ultimate hypocrite.

Farkel

• LearningMore
    LearningMore

I was always uncomfortable/embarrassed to admit it when I was a witness. In fact, very few people who I worked with actually knew. I think most people in high school knew, but after that I pretty much kept it to myself. Fortunately, I didn't live in my service territory; I was petrified of meeting anyone I knew.
    <br><br>Now, I still don't talk much about it. No one at my job knows that I was one in the past. In fact, a coworker was just telling me about a family member who was a witness, and I didn't say anything. Part of it is that I just don't want to get into it. I don't think I am embarrassed so much as I just really don't want to explain anything.
    <br><br>Really, the only person I talk to about it is my fiance and a little bit with his family if they ask questions.

Edit: Actually, I just remember a coworker recently asking if I was raised religious, and I said, Yes, a Christian. That usually stops people, however, my coworker pressed on which religion. I just told her that I didn't like to talk about it, which kind of makes me feel bad like I blew her off.... Your past really does follow you around, doesn't it?

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I spent YEARS in denial (making excuses for the Society and thinking they weren't "that bad") while simultaneously never mentioning to my friends and colleagues that I had been raised a JW. When an oddment would arise that would need an explanation (family not celebrating holidays, etc.) I would smile and say, "You don't want to know. I'll explain it over a pitcher of beer someday."

Now that I have found these boards and know about the Watchtower LIES and incredibly harmful deceit that has cost countless lives, I'm not so pandering anymore, and I entered the anger stage. In the anger stage... I blurted out that I had been raised a JW a LOT... too often, I'm sure. I just needed support and healing, and vented a bit too eagerly. Interestingly, a great friend that I have known for well over a decade just found out a couple of years ago that I had been raised a JW, and was incredulous that she had never known that before.

I think the anger stage might be softening a bit now, too.

Hope so.

Cheers,
    Baba.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit