Any actually embarrased to admit they were Witnesses?

by Robert7 38 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo

It depends who I am talking to...

I was always embarassed to say that I was a JW, and I rarely told anyone. I now only mention it if it is relevant to the conversation.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75
    I was more embarrassed to admit I was one when I was in.

Now I'm fully out I'm proud to annouce I was one and escaped the cult!

I'm the exact way!!! I use to get so nervous when religion came up in discussion. I would try my best to change the subject out of fear someone would ask what church I went to.

Now, it's funny the freedom you have and the openess to discuss. I usually just say I was raised in a cult. Of course they ask what religion. When you tell them they are so shocked that you were one!!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    I'm the exact way!!! I use to get so nervous when religion came up in discussion. I would try my best to change the subject out of fear someone would ask what church I went to.

Me too! Even when I was very active I felt that way. I always knew something was very wrong but I guess I just choked it down.

• anewme
    anewme

Nobody understands Robert. It just invites criticism and ridicule and many wonder why the heck you ever joined such a weird organization.

Its like telling your co-workers and friends you were once in an insane asylum. (crickets) Hear the silence? People put two and two together and you look like a real dope. Your reputation and esteem in their eyes may never recover.

I know because my first three job experiences, post JW dfing, I felt the uncontrollable urge to share
    my true story with others (who did not deserve to hear it) and I literally saw my respect level go down in their eyes within minutes.

I vowed never again to share that 35 year stint of JW imprisonment again unless it was on YouTube for
    commedic purposes.

I do need closure and resolution and restitution for my lost years, but not at the expense of the future.
    Since I made my vow not to speak of the JW past I have made great strides in my work experience, rising to assistant manager now. More doors are opening for me now that I have set that boat on fire and pushed it out to sea! It is gone!

Anewme

• flipper
    flipper

ROBERT- If it comes up in conversation I will discuss it- but I don't go out of my way to control or steer the conversation that way if it's not what I'm talking about. I'm not embarrassed to admit I was a witness- because ANYBODY can be a victim of cult mind control- even intelligent people. It has nothing to do with stupidity, just being conned . Which can happen to anyone. I was raised in it from birth- so I had no choice. But if people ask me these days about the witnesses- believe me, they get an earful

• PEC
    PEC

If religion comes up in a conversation, I just say "organized religion is evil" and leave it at that.

Philip

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

You don't owe anyone an explanation of anything. If you feel like volunteering the information, you'll find most people are aware it's a cult, or at least one of the weirder religions of the world. Mostly non-JWs don't really care and there's no need to discuss it unless you feel like talking about it. For a long time after I faded, I didn't talk about it because I wanted to leave it behind and move forward in life. Now I talk about it, mainly due to JWD, to let people know it's a cult. That doesn't mean I preach to everyone about it; just means that if the subject comes up naturally, I don't hold back any more.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

If the subject of religion comes up I say that I am an Episcopalian. That is the church that I have attended for over 20 years. My JW past I only mention if the discussion is about the Witnesses. But like some have mentioned, it was embarrasing to admit to being a JW when you are still in the cult.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was df'd in 1988 and was embarrased until I watched the Dateline program in 2001. Now I talk about it to anyone if it comes up, which is frequent since some of my family members are still in. fading or also df'd. When I heard about a year and a half ago that a relative was fading, I emaled some close friends and acquaintences who I knew participated in prayer chains to ask them for their prayers for him. It went WORLDWIDE in just a matter of a day and half. I received emails and phone calls from so many people who were very understanding. No one has ever been critical of me for being a jw, since I got out.

Comfort with the past usually comes in time. Once that happens, the more you open up to people, the more chance you have of saving someone else from the grief that you experienced while a slave to the WTB&TS. It also gives you a chance to replace some of the people you have lost. For instance, there are a few ladies the same age as my mother, who aren't related to me and have taken her place. In my worldly family, a cousin and an aunt who are about the same age as my mom actually had an argument on which of them would take me in as a sort of foster daughter.

It's normal to feel ashamed about being conned, but it by no means makes you a stupid person. Mental manipulation is used for a purpose, and you have nothing to be embarrassed about.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

I'm not embarrassed. At least in my case it provides ample opportunity for comedy. A lot of people I know are embarrassed about their religious upbringings anyway, I'm just another one in the mix.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit