Don't want to hurt your parents/famly's feelings huh?

by dawg 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oompa
    oompa

Question for Dawg...from this part of your post:

Dawg: how you still are being abused mentally by both this religion and your family by worrying about their feelings while they have total disregard for your thoughts and/or feelings?

Dawg....listen to yourself here....if you know this then you can walk on water and reach out and grasp my sinking doubing @ss! I know for a fact it is KILLING some of my friends and family to feel the need to think poorly of me, much less shun or do anything else considered abuse. How do you know they have TOTAL disregard in this area????............sincerely.....oompa

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Hey Dawg,

I'm one that's still 'in', but already checked out. So, I'll take a shot at answering. It'll help me clear up in my own head where I am and where I'm going. I won't attempt to speak for others, they'll have their reasons. I'll try to be direct in my personal reasons.

I've read where many of you have posted that you "don't want to hurt family members feelings" and that's the reason you don't come clean about how you feel as far as the JW's go.

That is one of the reasons for me. I have other reasons, too. While I'm emotional, I'm also very analytical. You can call it either a rist/reward or a cost/benefit analysis. As I continually study my situation, I see that doing the confrontation and getting away will have some benefits, but very high costs, economically, physically, emotionally. By living this "double life(tm)", there is a cost, sometimes minimal, sometimes high. But at the same time, I'm optomizing the benefit that goes along with that. The rewards are financial (since I don't donate a cent and am building my financial independence), and mental (I'm taking the time to prepare myself and my circumstances for all the things involved in leaving).

I was wondering if it ever dawned on you who think like this how you still are being abused mentally by both this religion and your family by worrying about their feelings while they have total disregard for your thoughts and/or feelings?

True. There is a high level of mental abuse and control in the bOrg. I feel it sometimes. But as I learn here, get more experience, and analyze what's going on around me, I break the influence... and I work on breaking its influence on others.

I've never told a family member how they must think for me to talk to them; never hounded a family member to come to a meeting they have clearly shown they don't want to attend. I've never told any living soul that they must look upon another group of men as if they have God guiding their works.

I've been telling others how great it is to have less magazines, shorter PTs, and a free night next year. I've told them that some of this stuff is, well, nutty, yes, right in the elders meetings, too. I don't hound anybody. I speak freely with all the faders. Didn't invite even one to the Forgetitall, er, I mean Memorial. I've missed more meetings than an elder should. And I defend those that miss them, too. And I hassle any self-righteous sh!theads whenever I can pull it off.

My question is, why do many of you put up with that kind of behavior, refuse to speak out, when it's clearly not you but them who force these foolish JW rules on you that's causing the confrontation.

It still goes back to the current cost/benefit analysis. And when it comes time for the confrontation, I won't waste it here at home with the family. Due to my previous position and circumstances, I'd prefer to wait and confront the sons of bitches out in New York when I'm ready.

And please, don't come back with some make believe world where the JW's and your family leaves you alone about this crap, we all know how JW land works.... pressure, pressure, and more pressure to attend meetings, go in field service, and the like.

I know what you're saying, there's plenty of pressure. I've already lived in the make believe world a long time. Let's say I still have an address and phone there in JW land, but it's all getting forwarded to my new home in 'double-life land'. You remember the stories you used to get warned about as a teen. Until I quit, I can be a sneaky sneaker and go out to unacceptable movies, associate with "bad associates", and go to inappropriate places and drink unholy spirits. Sometime I go to meetings in other Halls (no, not really, I just say I do). I turn in fake hours. And I prepare for the WT study every week- THANKS BLONDIE!!

So, come clean and help me understand why many of you won't confront the abuse?

Well, that's about as clean as I'm ready to come right now. Maybe this doesn't make a lot of sense to you. You're more of a "don't spare the buckshot and take no prisoners" kind of guy, dawg. I like and respect that in you and others here on JWD. I hope your family wises up and gets out, too. I guess I'm more of a spy/sniper that infiltrates and does as much damage as possible until it's time to retire. So, yeah, I don't want to hurt my family's feelings. But I also don't have an urgency to get out ASAP. As you might have seen on my recent thread, I'm trying to deal with a load of issues right now, which I'm being rather vague about. While the problems are dub influenced to some extent, there would be sparks with the family even if none of us were dubs. Non-dubs have family problems arise too. Anyway, check out some of the recent bad weather stories and videos on the Internet and it will give you an idea of what I'm stressed out about. Dub or not, that's some bad stuff hitting people. B the X

• Alexia
    Alexia

I have no reason to blast my mother for this. I am not angry with her. She had a horrible upbringing, came into the cult as a young adult and barely survived a 27 years marriage to a man (not a JW) they “brothers” say she couldn’t divorce. There is not much family here and it will crush her if she knew what I feel. I am thinking of her feelings, not so much mine. This is not all etched in stone – I can change my mind tomorrow and “come clean”, but I don’t need that stress in my life, nor does she need it.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Dawg,

Do you have parents or grown children still immersed in the lie? Will they shun you if you make them listen to your views on the WBTS? When considering any relationship thay you truly cherish, there will always be some give and take on each person's part. Religious discussions often are like political discussions, they can become heated and feelings get involved. That does little to further the relationship.

I no longer attend any dub functions and I know my family is aware that I don't believe in their brand of religion. I don't care for it when they try to put pressure on me to return, therefore I don't put pressure on them to leave. We respect each other's beliefs or lack thereof.

I feel to push it to a point that forces them to shun me is to put a great deal of emotional pain on myself and them. My dub family doesn't want to shun me anymore than I want to be shunned. If I create a situation where the elders insist they shun me, what is the point? Am I not submitting myself and family to being forced to play the game? Sometimes, it is just better to leave well enough alone.

I put one exception on this and that is my husband. I have been totally open with him and we are working it out. In the end, each person has a unique situation and has to decide for herself how to best handle it.

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

Sometimes its compassion. I pity the poor misguided souls. Sometimes I was hoping to help them get out, other times its just plain exhaustion. Finally when they came to me and said, "You need to go to the meeting or we won't speak to you any more." I totally lost it and told them just exactly what I thought and felt. Funny, I thought I'd be DF'd after that but have not heard a word from them.

• dawg
    dawg

I enjoyed your answers one and all...

Oompa, total disregard may have been harsh and used wrongly... but it is disregardful of what someone else feels to ignore what they have to say, I can't imagine having friends that won't listen to what I think.

Chosinglife-all my family is in this bullsh5t religion, I feel I owe it to the many lives that follow to speak out.

All, I didn't just come out guns blaring, but moved slowly... after many years of dropping hints, writing letters and getting no where, then I came out full force. Some in the family agreed with me, while others started shunning. It's what I expected.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Dawg,

I hear you.. My SF put me through hell this past week when he visited for my graduation...

One of his lines was..."Can't you see how your decision is hurting so many people? Your wife, your parents, your friends in the cong? They are all hurting and its all your fault?"

Of course I stood up to him, and refused to accept what he said. He knows that I think the org is to blame for their suffering, not me. I used the illustration when a person decides to become a dub, his family may feel hurt. Would my SF blame the person for studying the Bible with dubs, or would he blame the family for being intolerant?

Of course, I wasted my words on my SF... but my wife and mother, on the other hand, could see that I was right.

A@G

BTW, do you ever talk about other subjects Dawg?

• dawg
    dawg

Yea Gilead, I have a complete file tucked somewhere in this brain of other topics...LOL! I just want this to end and can see that it's foundation is crumbing, I really believe that we can destroy this religion with a united front.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I see you're "emperor" class Dawg. That means you've been at this a while. Speaking for myself it's only been in the past few months that the truth about "the truth" has been revealed for me. I'm still working all this out and it has deep implications for sorting out my past, present, and future. It extends to complicated relations with relatives and friends. I didn't get here overnight and I won't work it all out overnight. Time takes time. Everyone's situation is different and we're all in different places in our lives. When the time is right we will all make our decisions. In the meantime don't rush people into having your viewpoint because you've obviously had more time to get to this place in your life.

• dawg
    dawg

Aphrodite, I'm glad you could come clean and suffer no injury... good luck

Page... Rush the rest of us or something like that? What? Read the above once again, I'm not talking about rushing, I'm saying being too afraid to speak your minds. Look once again at the way it all worked out for me, it took me years but I always spoke up to a point, I did so until I got to the point that I could =see the methods I was using was having no effect, then I broke completely clean.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit