Fallout From GB Anti-College Letter – This Will Cause Problems!

by Seeker4 179 Replies latest members private

• Dagney
    Dagney

This is a huge test for parents. All parents want the best for their children. Most realize education will make the difference in landing jobs and earnings. Will they continue to sacrifice their children's future on the WBTS alter or will they grow a pair and do what is best for their children?

• sir82
    sir82
    it would appear there is no scriptural basis for this new rule.

...and this is surprising, how, exactly?

• tak
    tak

Is there a trick to cutting and pasting on this board. I am trying to copy from the JW CD an article from Awake 1998 March 8th but I just keep getting an error.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic
    it is okay for children to go to Elementary School and High School, but not college?

asilentstone, thats because its required by law. Also, once JWs make it to high school, a number leave for home schooling or alternative schooling so they don't have to be around "worldly" kids and have more time for spiritual pursuits. It would irritate to no end, when parents put their kids in home schooling just so the kids would have time to pioneer.

Also, I'm hearing about a number of elders that stepping down or just leaving the org. Last week, an active JW friend wondered out loud what was going on the org because so many elders and others are leaving.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

This whole thing about not going to collage or university started as far back as the early 70's, back then they bemoaned the idea as a waste of time since

this system of things was soon to pass and Collages and Universities were evil godless places that could cause harm spiritually.

In reality they wanted as many as people as they could get to sell their literature in the door to door work.

This is being played out for few reasons such as controlling the information the follower receives and Universities don't shine a bright light

on religions in a whole. They perceive hinger education as a danger to the executives up on the tower and they really want to indenture more working slaves

in Bethel to be utilized at their discretion.

Unless of course your wanting to be a lawyer for the WTS., if thats the case they may pay your to go to Harvard .

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    Because once one's offspring becomes of age and moves out whether off to college or work there is little a parent/elder has control over. So how could this affect one standing as elder or ms?

Good question - one of many that will have to be answered before this policy can be enforced.

• sir82
    sir82
    Because once one's offspring becomes of age and moves out whether off to college or work there is little a parent/elder has control over.

True, but even the most liberal of JWs would never dream of allowing their child to attend university while not living at home. Of JWs who attend college right out of high school, I'd say at least 90%, maybe 99%, attend a local university while living at home.

In the JW-world, any offspring living with a parent, regardless of age, is considered part of the "household" of the father, and the offspring's actions do reflect on the father.

• james_woods
    james_woods

I am beginning to think this may be one of the worst blunders the Society has made in all it's history. There is just something about ordering people around about what to do about their kids that naturally rubs people raw.

Wouldn't it be the ultimate irony if this turnes out to be straw that broke the camel's back? After "generation redefined", the UN NGO scandal, pedophilia cover-up, 1975, the blood/noblood/fractions, vaccinations/no vaccinations, etc...this might just be the one that makes many elders and many of the rank & file wake up and smell the coffee. And, all those others would have seemed to me to be much more shocking and obvious.

I have not observed any other issue that has so many of us posting that ordinary in-the-org publishers and even elders are saying openly "what in the world is going on with the WT Society these days"?

• jambon1
    jambon1

This is shocking to say the least. How much control do they want?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

A few clarifications:

As passwordprotected pointed out, this was not a letter, but part of an outline the CO goes over with the body of elders when he visits each congregation. I used the wrong word in the title.

Also, the examples we discussed earlier, as Marvin S. noted, were part of the outline, and not the invention of the CO in question.

And, this information is being considered by the COs at least in English speaking Europe as well as here in the US.

A few more pieces to the puzzle and a little clearer picture. Thanks to all who contributed or PMed me on this.

Min - I agree - you don't have to exaggerate anything about the JWs to make them seem a whacked out religion to avoid.

S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit