Power of "Awake" article on Window Cleaning =Thousands of Witness Washer!

by Witness 007 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

HOW MANY IS THERE! W.W.C {Witness Window Cleaners} I was one for three years. Started from scratch, taught by another Witness Window cleaner...we had 4 in our Hall. I never knew why there were so many, till I found an Awake article about employment which recommends geting a bucket and starting to clean windows! {cant find it now - help} Is this the power of the magazines! Soon it spread to all western countries. Where-ever I go....Witness Window Washers in every hall.

• shamus100
    shamus100

sigh....

Witness Window Washers... how pathetic. I wouldn't get hooked up with any 'brother' no matter what. I can tell you that there are scammers out there, and I was one that got scammed. Anyone having dealings with witnesses beware; they will hide behind the elders and you will never get paid.

• besty
    besty

flexible hours, start earning on day 1, low barriers to entry, plenty of customers (which you get by erm..knocking on doors)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    "Capitalizing on a Chore Everyone Hates"

"I don’t do windows," is a line heard all too often by prospective employers—and perhaps husbands. Writer Joan Libman, however, says there is a way to cash in on people’s aversion to washing windows: starting a window-washing business! She calls this "capitalizing on a chore everyone hates."

This was just one of 50 suggestions given in FamilyCircle magazine (10/26/82) to people who would like to start businesses they could run from their homes. Some of the ideas require a bit of specialized knowledge ("Antiques Appraisals," for example). Others require far less: providing hot meals for busy families, house sitting for out-of-town homeowners, messenger services, household-chore services, and so forth. Can you, too, think of a chore "everyone hates" that you would be willing to perform for the right price? Then you may be on the way to having your own home business. But before you leap, take a good look. Says Joan Libman: "Slowing down can save you from some dreadful, as well as costly, mistakes." Organizing yourself, studying your market, planning your finances and getting advice are some of the suggestions she offers for the would-be, home entrepreneur.

-- AWAKE! May 8, 1984, page 25
  • WTWizard
    WTWizard

I wonder if it's possible to make enough money to pay for the gas it takes to pioneer by washing windows. And still have enough to put in the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

If a guy really needed a job, why not. Very low initial start up costs.

A cheap way to break into the Construction business is hanging and finishing drywall.... minimum amount of tools and if you have the knack for tapping and mudding the learning curve is quick. Paint work ..if you really learn how paint works...how to prep and work for a good teacher for a while is a low overhead small business.

You guys rag on this too much. I did some janitor work back in the day... and may go back to it sometime. If all the underqualifed "worldly" people in this country were willing to wash a window, collect scrap iron (not cans... real iron), mow lawns, screen windows, paint we would not have some of the problems we have today.

JW shysters... there are crooks and liars all around. In a closed society like the WT wolves eat sheep. No one wants to be a sheepdog. Getting ripped off in the Tower in the same thing anyplace ...greed on the part of one person.... stupidity on the part of the other. You cant con a con and you probably cant con an honest guy who is willing to work hard on his own situation.

I am sitting in AC today playing with a computer. 30+ plus years in the workforce... started pushing lawnmowers and doing odd jobs. Built houses, broke into the electrical trade... now I consult on trade issues. I did some pretty hard shitty jobs in between too. A guy with an old pick up can make $25 K if he looks around and is willing to bend his back.

Never fault any man who is willing to work. College and education is a great thing but without drive and initiative you are nothing.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

There were about a dozen window washers in my hall. I did it for 5 years, and fell back on it a couple of times later when I was between real jobs. The money was good. I earned more washing windows in 1985 part time than I do today as a network administrator full time. I couldn't stand it for long though. My health went to shit, and the sheer mindlessness of the work drove me to drink.

W

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The WT has a dismal veiw of education..we all know that.

In the US... something like 20-25% of kids do not graduate high school. Certain demographics are worse. Indians in Oklahoma, for example, graduate a higher percentage of kids than Native Americans on reservations. That stat is in the 30% drop out range with OK being a bit better than Indians at large.

The WT (I cant believe I'm saying this) never discouraged High school... and I remember reading things that encouraged taking classes that built skills while in High School... Even for the most jaded anti witness... I think that could be taked as having Plan B in place if College or Armegedon takes a while to get here.

I did not want to go to college right off the bat. I took advantage of everything offered in High School...Advanced placement academics and a very good skilled trades program. Right out of school I was offered work as a draftsman or tool and die maker... and things were slow them.

Since then I have worked a lot of formal education in to the mix... but I could feed myself and family all along.

What percentage of JW kids in the Western world graduate high school?

Hill

I won a spelling bee... I just cant type

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Hey i'm a window cleaner and in the summer it's the best job in the world. Winters a different matter though.

I would never have been one had it not been for being a witness, i used to do it back then. I had my own business for years then when that went down the pan i went back to window cleaning just to tidy me over. Work snow balled as not many do it now. Now 2 1/2 years on i have an established small business with commercial contracts as well as domestic work.

Don't knock it, it's a good way to make a living. However i'm not going to do it for the rest of my life so I am also in the process of doing a part time degree, it fits in well with that too.

Paul

• tinker
    tinker

Becoming a window washer is not the issue. It is the fact that Too Many JW's are window washers, carpet cleaners, janitors and lawn mowers. And too few JW's are engineers, doctors, CPA's, attorneys, teachers or professional business persons.

I have had my own janitorial service for more than 30 yrs and make a very comfortable living. Believe it or not, window washing pays well. I even enjoy the work. But I do not feel I work up to my potential. I should have gone to college for a degree in design. Teachers tried to push me to earn a schorship but I refused because I was a pioneer and ALL THAT CRAP! We all know the story.

My heart breaks for the young JW's today. So many have talents that are wasted. I know a young man, extremely talented artist, father is the PO so he will not go to art school. It is an absolute tragedy.

GD Religion

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit