Recent Awake! Directive

by whitman 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is a good idea to be prepared for reasonably expected events. I have seen people rush to stores for candles and batteries for a blackout, and I have seen snowstorms leave people housebound for a few days at a time.

It is a good idea to look objectively at what kinds of disasters are reasonably expected in your area. Do you live near hurricane prone regions (like the whole Eastern seaboard)? Or earthquakes? Are blizzards a fact of life, or do you get tornadoes and severe thunderstorms? Ice storms? Floods? Excessive heat or cold? Whatever it is for your region, preparing for it will be useful. And that could mean preparing for a 100 year event, just in case.

It makes no sense to prepare for Armageddon. If you do, you are going to be left with a lot of items you have no use for, and they will likely just go out of date. A general rule is enough food and water for a 2-3 week supply disruption, and enough batteries and/or candles for a blackout that will last 2 weeks. More is better, but you are wasting money if you buy batteries for 100 years out, or if you have enough canned food to last 500 years. That is just plain pushing it (which the Washtowel Slaveholdery is good at).

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Tribulation backpacks.

LMAO!!

• james_woods
    james_woods

Did they remember to mention the Thompson submachine gun and about 3 or 4 full clips?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The same kind of story runs in publications from everyone from Safety Councils to Para Miltary groups.

Most families are woefulley underprepared for house hold emergencies let alone a hurricane, tornado or extended power outage.

Even old Hill here keeps a "night horse" staked out in the grove behind the house. A bug-out bag (or whatever you call your kit) is good business.

Hill

• yknot
    yknot

When we lived in Houston we prepared like that regularly during hurricane season.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    Thompson submachine gun and about 3 or 4 full clips

Tommy guns weigh too much..about 12 pounds loaded.

AR man here... 6 pound weapon and a guy can load out 300 rounds of 5.56 and still have a rucksack full of beans and weenies.

Hill

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I remember something being said because out of the blue my sister in law invited my wife to the army supply store to get emergency supplies

• blondie
    blondie

I would expect that any information in the Awake is specifically targeted towards non-jws. But the KM has said this which could have come out of the Hurricane Katrina situation, pointing out the lack of information by the elders:

http://dwsilver.com/dpp.html

*** km 1/07 p. 4 Are You Prepared for a Natural Disaster? ***

Each year, millions of people around the world, including many of our brothers and sisters, are affected by earthquakes, tsunamis, monsoons, hurricanes, tornadoes, and floods. Since natural disasters occur unexpectedly and could affect any of us, it is the course of wisdom to be prepared.—Prov. 21:5.

InAdvance:Sometimes the authorities are able to warn of impending disasters. It is important to pay attention to those warnings. (Prov. 22:3) In such situations the elders will try to contact all in the congregation to help them to make necessary preparations. After a disaster, the elders will also endeavor to contact all who are associated with the congregation to see if they are safe and to discern what assistance may be needed. Valuable time can be lost if the elders do not have up-to-date contact information. So it is good for publishers to keep the secretary and their book study overseer informed of their current address and telephone number(s).

If the congregation is located in a disaster-prone area, the elders may ask publishers to provide the name and telephone number of a relative or friend who does not live in the vicinity and who should be contacted in case of an emergency. This will enable the elders to locate those who have evacuated. The elders may also wish to develop a contingency planfor the congregation that includes such things as a simple checklist of emergency supplies to keep on hand, evacuation arrangements, and plans for assisting those with special needs. Cooperation with these loving arrangements is important.—Heb. 13:17.

AfteraDisaster: What should you do if a disaster strikes in your area? Make sure that your family’s immediate physical needs are cared for. As you are able, give necessary assistance to others who have been affected. Endeavor to contact your book study overseer or another elder as soon as possible. This should be done even if you are safe and do not need help. If you need assistance, be assured that your brothers are making every effort to help you. (1 Cor. 13:4, 7) Remember that Jehovah is aware of your situation; rely on him to sustain you. (Ps. 37:39; 62:8) Be alert to opportunities to provide spiritual and emotional support to others. (2 Cor. 1:3, 4) Resume your theocratic routine as soon as possible.—Matt. 6:33.

While the threat of disaster causes the world much anxiety, we can look to the future with confidence. Soon all disasters will be a thing of the past. (Rev. 21:4) In the meantime, we can take reasonable steps to prepare for times of trouble and difficulties as we maintain our zeal in declaring the good news to others.
  • whitman
    whitman

Ok, I really did try...I checked out jw.org and listened to three Awake! articles to find the information on the emergency pack...but seriously, I can't listen to anymore. If I could get the month and title of the article at least I will only have to listen to one more mp3. I'd forgotten how bad those articles are!!

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

My AR-15 with a 90 round drum will beat your Tribulation Tote (tm) every time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit