Did GOD become a Man?

by UnDisfellowshipped 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hello Frank (fjtoth), how are you? Thank you for your comments.

fjtoth said:

"To argue on the basis of one Greek word that Jesus must be honored "to the same degree" as the Father is to overlook how that Greek adverb is used elsewhere in the New Testament. Kathos does not literally mean "exactly as" or "to the same degree as." For example, it appears in Luke 22:29-30. There Jesus said, "just as [kathos] my Father has granted me a kingdom, I grant you that you may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom." Jesus did not grant the disciples a position and authority equal to what his Father had granted him. He says it is "my kingdom," and any disciple who dares to make the claim in the sense that Jesus did is presumptuous indeed."

My Response:

I agree that the Greek word "kathos" can have more than one meaning, based on the context. That said, if you look up all of the passages which contain this word, you will find that in the majority of verses where it is used, "kathos" means "JUST LIKE" or "TO THE SAME DEGREE."

Thayer's Greek Dictionary gives the following definition of "kathos":

1) according as

1a) just as, even as

1b) in proportion as, in the degree that

2) since, seeing that, agreeably to the fact that

3) when, after that

(Joseph Henry Thayer, according to my research, was a Unitarian and did NOT believe in the Trinity or true Deity of Christ, just in case you were thinking he might be biased in favor of the Trinitarian viewpoint.)

Here is Strong's definition of "kathos":

Just (or inasmuch) as, that: - according to, (according, even) as, how, when.

So, "kathos" can mean "just like," "in the same way," or "to the same degree," according to the context.

At the bottom of this post, I have included a list of verses where you can look at how this word is used throughout the entire Gospel of John.

Also, look up that Greek word ["kathos," Strong's Number G2531] in the other Gospels and see how it was used.

Here is a famous Verse with that word in it: Luke 6:31 (KJV): And as [Gr: "kathos"] ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.

This Greek word ("kathos") is used 27 times in the New Testament in the phrase "As it is written [in the Scriptures]."

fjtoth said:

"The word also appears several times in 1 Corinthians 10:6-9. Paul wrote that we should "not crave evil things as [kathos] they also craved." To insist that kathos means "exactly as" or "to the same degree as" implies that we must not go out in the desert and crave meat to eat, which is the past incident Paul was referring to. That is hardly the sense of what Paul meant."

My Response:

Could it not be that Paul was warning Christians against craving anything evil to the same degree that those unfaithful men and women did in the desert? Paul did not say "Do not crave MEAT just as they also craved," rather, Paul specifically said "Do not crave EVIL THINGS just as they also craved." Paul taught that Meat in itself is NOT an "evil thing," therefore, Paul must not have been speaking about meat, but about any evil desires.

fjtoth said:

"He wrote: "Do not be idolaters, as [kathos] some of them were; as it is written, 'The people sat down to eat and drink, and stood up to play.'" To refrain exactly and to the same degree from idolatry as engaged in by the Israelites requires that we avoid worship of a molten calf whereas Paul obviously had something more than that in mind. He wrote: "Nor let us act immorally, as [kathos] some of them did." Paul had in mind the village of Shittim where "the people began to play the harlot with the daughters of Moab," but he would have been exempting Christian women if he precisely meant that Christians should stay away from Shittim and Moabite women."

My Response:

Once again, Paul is saying that Christians must watch out and avoid idolatry and fornication. Jesus and Paul taught that greediness and covetousness are idolatry, and Jesus taught that lusting for a woman was the same as having sexual relations with her. Therefore, in God's eyes, a person who is greedy or covetous is an idolater just as those Israelites were, and a person who lusts for women in his heart is a fornicator, just as those Israelites were.

Paul could rightly say "Do not commit idolatry or fornication just as they did." In this passage, "kathos" may mean "just like," or "in the same way." It could mean "to the same degree" also, because, as Jesus taught in the Sermon on the Mount, if you have committed these sins in your heart, you stand guilty before God, just as if you had actually physically committed these sins.

fjtoth said:

"Finally, Paul wrote: "Nor let us try the Lord, as [kathos] some of them did." If kathos means "exactly as" and "to the same degree as," then Paul was telling us not to desire going back to the land of Egypt, a very unusual restriction if meant for Christians of the first century and later."

My Response:

Again, Paul is saying not to test or try the Lord just as, just like, in the same way, or to the same degree, that the Israelites tested God. He's not talking about the method that those Israelites used in sinning, he's talking about the result of their sinning -- testing God. There are many, many different ways for sinful people to test God.

fjtoth said:

"Other examples could be cited, but these should be sufficient to show that a person is grasping at straws and has a weak case if he needs to read into the meaning of words what was not originally intended."

My Response:

Please carefully examine the Thayer's and Strong's definitions of "kathos," and then please enlighten me as to what the actual meaning of "kathos" is.

Most important in this discussion is the actual immediate context of John chapter 5. Please note that Jesus' statement in John 5:23 did not occur in a vacuum. Look at the surrounding context:

In John 5:16, the Jews wanted to kill Jesus because He was working on the Sabbath. In Verse 17, Jesus replied that He has the same rights and authority to work on the Sabbath that HIS OWN Father has. In John 5:18, the Jews try to kill Him even more now because not only is He working on the Sabbath, He also claimed to be equal to God by calling Him "My Father."

Now, take a look at John 5:18, and 5:20-24, and I think it becomes quite obvious what Jesus was saying to the Jews:

John 5:18, 20-24 (ESV): This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God. [...] For the Father loves the Son and shows him all that he himself is doing. And greater works than these will he show him, so that you may marvel. For as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, so also the Son gives life to whom he will. The Father judges no one, but has given all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son, just as they honor the Father. Whoever does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him. Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

The Pharisees (rightfully so) believed that ONLY Almighty God would render judgment and raise the dead and forgive sins and grant eternal life, but they failed to understand that God is not ONE PERSON, but THREE Persons -- The Father, The Son, and The Spirit, just as they also failed to recognize that Jesus was the Messiah.

Let's also take a look at how the phrase "just as" (irregardless of which Greek word) is used in John Chapter 5 itself:

John 5:21 (NWT): For just as the Father raises the dead up and makes them alive, so the Son also makes those alive whom he wants to.

John 5:23 (NWT): in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He that does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent him.

John 5:26 (NWT): For just as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted also to the Son to have life in himself.

John 5:30 (NWT): I cannot do a single thing of my own initiative; just as I hear, I judge; and the judgment that I render is righteous, because I seek, not my own will, but the will of him that sent me.

It appears to me that in each instance in John Chapter 5, the phrase "just as" means "to the same degree" or "according as," or "the same as."

What are your thoughts on those occurences of "just as" in John chapter 5?

fjtoth said:

"Nowhere does he describe himself or even hint of himself as three persons. I sometimes wonder if Trinitarians think they know God better than he knows himself."

My Response:

God referred to Himself as "We" and "Us" on multiple occasions in the Old Testament. (Genesis 1:26, 3:22, 11:7, Isaiah 6:8)

In the Old Testament, The Angel of The LORD is a distinct Person from YHWH, yet He is also addressed as YHWH, worshiped as YHWH, prayed to as YHWH, and does things only YHWH can do.

In the O.T. and the N.T., Three Divine Persons are mentioned together several times. (Isaiah 63:9-10; Isaiah 48:16; Matthew 28:19; John 15:26; 1st Peter 1:2)

Those are pretty good "hints" in the Bible that more than One Person make up the True God.

fjtoth said:

"Jesus claimed that he and the Jews knew God whereas others didn't. He told a Samaritan woman, "You worship what you do not know; we worship what we know, for salvation is from the Jews." (John 4:22) Jesus was not a Trinitarian, and neither were the Jews. So it seems to me that Trinitarians today are saying "Jesus put God in a box just as the Jews did, and we Trinitarians are above that. We know better than Moses, Joshua, Samuel, David, Isaiah, and even Jesus." "
    My Response:

We cannot base our beliefs on what the Jews believe, especially not on what the Jews of Jesus' day believed. We must base our beliefs on what Jesus and His inspired apostles and disciples taught, as well as what God's INSPIRED Jewish writers had to say. The majority of Jews in Jesus' day rejected Jesus and did not believe He was their coming Messiah.

If they couldn't recognize the truth that Jesus was their Messiah, which is one of the absolute requirements of the Christian faith, how can we base our beliefs on what they believed back then?

Here is the list of the verses in the Gospel of John where "kathos" occurs:

John 1:23 (KJV): He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as [Gr: "kathos"] said the prophet Isaiah.

John 3:14 (KJV): And as [Gr: "kathos"] Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:

John 5:30 (KJV): I can of mine own self do nothing: as [Gr: "kathos"] I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

John 6:31 (KJV): Our fathers did eat manna in the desert; as [Gr: "kathos"] it is written, He gave them bread from heaven to eat.

John 6:57 (KJV): As [Gr: "kathos"] the living Father hath sent me, and I live by the Father: so he that eateth me, even he shall live by me.

John 6:58 (KJV): This is that bread which came down from heaven: not as [Gr: "kathos"] your fathers did eat manna, and are dead: he that eateth of this bread shall live forever.

John 7:38 (KJV): He that believeth on me, as [Gr: "kathos"] the Scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

John 8:28 (KJV): Then said Jesus unto them, When ye have lifted up the Son of man, then shall ye know that I am he, and that I do nothing of myself; but as [Gr: "kathos"] my Father hath taught me, I speak these things.

John 10:15 (KJV): As [Gr: "kathos"] the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.

John 10:26 (KJV): But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as [Gr: "kathos"] I said unto you.

John 12:14 (KJV): And Jesus, when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as [Gr: "kathos"] it is written,

John 12:50 (KJV): And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as [Gr: "kathos"] the Father said unto me, so I speak.

John 13:15 (KJV): For I have given you an example, that ye should do as [Gr: "kathos"] I have done to you.

John 13:33 (KJV): Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as [Gr: "kathos"] I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

John 13:34 (KJV): A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as [Gr: "kathos"] I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

John 14:27 (KJV): Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as [Gr: "kathos"] the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 14:31 (KJV): But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as [Gr: "kathos"] the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence.

John 15:4 (KJV): Abide in me, and I in you. As [Gr: "kathos"] the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

John 15:9 (KJV): As [Gr: "kathos"] the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

John 15:10 (KJV): If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as [Gr: "kathos"] I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

John 15:12 (KJV): This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as [Gr: "kathos"] I have loved you.

John 17:1-2 (KJV): These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee: As [Gr: "kathos"] thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.

John 17:11 (KJV): And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as [Gr: "kathos"] we are.

John 17:14 (KJV): I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as [Gr: "kathos"] I am not of the world.

John 17:16 (KJV): They are not of the world, even as [Gr: "kathos"] I am not of the world.

John 17:18 (KJV): As [Gr: "kathos"] thou hast sent me into the world, even so have I also sent them into the world.

John 17:21 (KJV): That they all may be one; as [Gr: "kathos"] thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

John 17:22 (KJV): And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as [Gr: "kathos"] we are one:

John 17:23 (KJV): I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as [Gr: "kathos"] thou hast loved me.

John 19:40 (KJV): Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as [Gr: "kathos"] the manner of the Jews is to bury.

John 20:21 (KJV): Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as [Gr: "kathos"] my Father hath sent me, even so send I, you.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Carmel, hi, how are you doing?

Carmel said:

"Research the scripture where Jesus claimed to be the "perfect IMAGE of His Father" Explains much about why one might think Jesus was God when he in fact claimed to perfectly reflect. Different than being the essense of that which is reflected."

My Reply:

I think you're referring to Hebrews 1:3, correct? (or perhaps Colossians 1:15?) I will do more research on those two verses and get back to you soon.

I do know that Hebrews 1:3, in the Greek, says Jesus is the "Perfect" or "Exact" "Imprint" or "Copy" of God's "Essence" or "Being." It also says that Jesus is the "beaming forth" or "out-raying" of the Father's glory.

Something to think about:

Even if Hebrews 1:3 is saying that Jesus is the exact perfect copy of God's being, instead of Jesus actually having the same being as God, it would still prove that Jesus cannot be a creature, because Psalm 89:6 (and many other verses) says that no heavenly creature is anything like God, or can even be compared to God.

However, Colossians 2:9 clearly declares that all of the fullness of the Godship (Essence of God) dwells in Christ.

What are your thoughts on Colossians 2:9?

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Superfine Apostate said:

"ok, so you got some scriptures... but why the hell do you believe that?"

My Reply:

Very good question. In fact, there is arguably no better question to ask than that.

For the moment, let me give a concise answer to your question (because of me not having enough free time tonight to fully explain why I believe in the Bible), and then, tomorrow (hopefully) or Monday, I will give you the full answer to your question.

1:) From my personal research and examination of the evidence of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, I believe that Jesus of Nazareth, who died under Pontius Pilate in 33 A.D., actually did rise from the dead. This is the explanation that makes the most sense of all the facts. If Jesus really did rise from the dead, then this confirms everything else He taught, including the fact that He claimed to be God, and that He would raise His own Body from the dead.

2:) The God of the Bible explains and makes sense of everything we see in life much better than the alternatives (such as blind chance, the Universe coming into existence for no reason out of nothing, humans having built-in morals means there must be a moral law-giver, etc.).

3:) The Bible contains scientific truths that were not discovered until centuries after the Bible was written.

4:) The Bible is historically accurate.

I will try to elaborate and explain more either tomorrow or Monday.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Hi LD, how are you? Thank you for your comments.

LD said:

So do you believe God is a trinity?

Yes, I do. But my belief is based on what I studied and read and meditated on and prayed about in the Holy Scriptures. When my eyes were first opened to the fact that the JW's were not teaching the truth, it took a while for me to fully accept this teaching -- I struggled with this in prayerful for months, even though this is what I kept seeing throughout Scripture. It was especially hard for me to understand the role of The Holy Spirit because the JW's taught that He wasn't even a Person!

LD said:

If so, where does the Holy Spirit fit in?

Jesus said this to His apostles, on the night before He died, about The Holy Spirit:

John 15:26 (ESV): "But when the Helper comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness about me.

John 16:13-15 (ESV): When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

The Bible shows that The Holy Spirit has His own will, thinks, speaks, hears, chooses, teaches, feels hurt when we sin, prays and intercedes for us, searches and knows things, and can be lied to and blasphemed against. If The Spirit is not a Person, how could those things be true? (See Acts 13:2; 1st Corinthians 12:11; Romans 8:16; 8:26-27, more)

The Spirit glorifies Jesus. Jesus glorifies The Father. The Father glorifies Jesus.

LD said:

Is the Jesus God still a seperate person now? Is the Father God a seperate person? Is the Holy spirit God a seperate person?

Each Person of the Trinity is distinct or separate. They always have been and always will be. The Father is not the same Person as The Son. The Son is not the same Person as The Spirit. The Father is not the same Person as The Spirit. They each have their own mind and will and thoughts. However, they also all share the same Essence, Nature, or Deity -- this is what makes God be God.

There are Three Persons who share The One Essence of God.

The best way I can explain it (in my own imperfect way), is to compare the human relationship of husband and wife to The Father, Son, and Spirit:

1:) A human husband and wife are equally human in essence or nature.

2:) The Bible says that the husband should be the "head" of the wife, the one who has more authority than the wife within the marriage.

3:) Just because the husband has a "greater" position within the marriage does not mean he is better in nature or more human, than his wife is. His wife is equally human.

4:) The wife willingly and lovingly submits to the husband's leadership.

In a similar way (though not exactly the same), The Father is the Head who has a greater position of authority within the Essence of God, The Son and Spirit willingly and lovingly submit to The Father's will. However, The Son and Spirit are not less God in Essence than The Father is. They are equally God in Nature.

There are not three different Gods. That is Tritheism or polytheism -- the worship of more than one god. Mormons and some other groups teach this heresy today.

Also, God is not One Person who reveals Himself three different ways. That is known as Modalism. It is a heresy which is taught today by "Oneness Pentecostals" and some other "Jesus-Only" groups.

Each of the Three Persons is fully, 100% God in Nature or Essence. One is not more God in Nature than another.

I hope my explanations helped you (as imperfect and inadequate as they are).

LD said:

I remember growing up as a Catholic, the trinity was illistrated as an egg: Three different things making up one whole, yoke, white, shell. Is this what God is, an egg and if so what part is the Father?

I have heard several illustrations of the Trinity similar to that one. It is very hard to compare an infinite God to finite creations. I don't think that egg illustration does justice to the Trinity doctrine. I will see if I can post some better illustrations for you soon.

LD said:

I really don't know who Jesus is anymore. I thought I knew when I was a Jdumb but now I'm back on the search so these are questions that have come up in my search mode.

I want to thank you for your comments and to encourage you to continue on your search for the truth about who Jesus really is. Please continue to examine the facts and evidence that are available, especially for the Resurrection of Jesus, and also the Scriptures and historical records that shed light on His identity.

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to post them or send a "Private Message" to me here on this website, or send me an e-mail at [email protected] -- I really want to help answer your questions to the best of my ability and help you in any way possible on your search for the truth about Jesus, and I won't try to force my beliefs on you.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Witness 007 said:

Using Jesus words....to prove Jesus is God????

This would only prove it to people who already believe in the Bible. The first step is to determine whether the Bible is the inspired Word of God, or not.

Witness 007 said:

I think he was a "good teacher" who lived and died 2,000 years ago...do you think the diciples could have had an Agenda of there own when writting the Gospels? What about the Book of Judas or Thomas all the other books left out of the cannon.

I will post more info soon on the Gospel of Judas and Thomas, etc. But, as to any secret agendas the apostles and disciples might have had, what would their agenda have been? By becoming Christians and promoting the resurrection of Jesus, they automatically became the targets of a hostile government and hostile Jews who would be glad to see them all burned to death or crucified.

If the apostles made up lies, and faked the Resurrection of Jesus, what did they get out of it? What motive would they have had? "Gee, let's fake a resurrection so we can all be crucified or thrown to the wild beasts!"

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Winnower said:

Jesus and the Father are two separate and distinct entities.

First, how do you define "entity" in relation to God the Father and Jesus?

Trinitarians believe that God and Jesus are two separate and distinct Persons who share the same Essence or Nature.

Winnower said:

Jesus tells you that the Father is in a different location. Many times he refers to the Father as being in Heaven. Jesus was on the earth. He never said he was a time traveler back and forth.

I agree that Jesus taught that His Father was in Heaven and Jesus was on earth. However, Jesus also made some statements that seem to indicate that He was (in His Divine Nature) Omnipresent, even while on earth. (Matthew 18:20)

Winnower said:

The Father has knowledge that Jesus does not have.

That was true while He was a Man on earth. That is not true of His Divine Nature. (See John 16:30; John 21:37; Colossians 2:3; Revelation 2:23; John 14:13-14)

Winnower said:

If Jesus WAS the Father, then who was he praying to?

Jesus was definitely NOT The Father. He is a different Person from The Father. So, Jesus was speaking to a distinct Person, with His own mind and will, who shares the same Divine Nature.

Winnower said:

Ultimate decisions are made by the Father, not Jesus.

I agree that The Father has the greatest position within the Divine Nature, and that The Father makes the final or ultimate decisions, and that The Father initiates, while The Son and Spirit obey The Father's will.

Winnower said:

Again, Jesus is very clear that he was sent by another entity as an emissary.

I agree that The Father sent The Son. However, what exactly do you mean by "entity"?

Winnower said:

Jesus clearly tells you the Father is greater ( more powerful, highest authority) than he is.

Yes, "greater" refers to position of authority, not essence or nature.

Winnower said:

Jesus reveals his status as an ambassador; an authorized representative; an emissary

True, but the Gospel of John, as well as the writings of Paul, show that He was also far more than simply a representative of God.

Winnower said:

In considering the characteristics and attributes of Jesus, how could this jehovah god be anything like him? Jehovah god is NOT "the Father" that Jesus speaks of. Jehovah god is just another one of the many Hebrew gods used by wizard priests to control the people.

Wait, if Jehovah is not The Father of Jesus, who is?

Jesus specifically claimed in the Gospels that His Father was "The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob," the God of Israel, who spoke to Moses at the burning bush. If that wasn't Jehovah, then who was He?

Jehovah was merciful, loving, and forgiving, as well as just, holy, and powerful. He was not just a "God of War" or "God of Anger."

Jesus was just, holy, and powerful, as well as merciful, loving, and forgiving. He was not just a "God of Love."

Jesus spoke about Hell more than He spoke about Heaven. He also spoke of the destruction of cities that rejected Him, and in Revelation Jesus Himself will destroy the evil people of all the nations.

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

Superfine Apostate said:

"ok, so you got some scriptures... but why the hell do you believe that?"

Yesterday, I gave some concise reasons why I believe in Jesus and the Bible, and here they are again, with added information:

1:) From my personal research and examination of the evidence of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, I believe that Jesus of Nazareth, who died under Pontius Pilate in 33 A.D., actually did rise from the dead. This is the explanation that makes the most sense of all the facts. If Jesus really did rise from the dead, then this confirms everything else He taught, including the fact that He claimed to be God, and that He would raise His own Body from the dead.

I think we can all agree that the tomb was empty. No one in the first century questioned that fact, not even the many opponents of Christianity. What happened to the body?

If the apostles had stolen Jesus' body, and faked the Resurrection, why would they have died for a lie? Would they have suffered crucifixion just so they could continue to promote their own lies and fake resurrection? Why would they not have confessed and/or presented the body to the Romans or Jews when threatened with death?

If the Jewish leaders had stolen Jesus' body, why would they never have presented the body to once and for all put an end to the Christian uprising? If they had shown his body, it would have been the end of Christianity, just as Paul said in 1st Corinthians chapter 15.

Why did Paul, in 1st Corinthians 15, say that the most important thing in Christianity is the bodily Resurrection of Jesus? If you were faking the resurrection, would you have declared the following?:

1st Corinthians 15:14-19 (CEV): And if Christ wasn't raised to life, our message is worthless, and so is your faith. If the dead won't be raised to life, we have told lies about God by saying that he raised Christ to life, when he really did not. So if the dead won't be raised to life, Christ wasn't raised to life. Unless Christ was raised to life, your faith is useless, and you are still living in your sins. And those people who died after putting their faith in him are completely lost. If our hope in Christ is good only for this life, we are worse off than anyone else.

Paul also told people that they could investigate the Resurrection of Jesus by interviewing the 500 eye-witnesses who saw Jesus after He was raised from the dead! Did Paul really convince 500 people to give false testimony and lie about seeing Jesus alive after He died?

1st Corinthians 15:6 (CEV): After this, he appeared to more than five hundred other followers. Most of them are still alive, but some have died.

Also, what else, besides the Resurrection, explains the complete turn-around of the disciples? The apostles were discouraged and depressed and afraid after Jesus died. They thought Jesus had failed. Then, 50 days later, they are boldly confronting the Jewish leaders inside the Temple, declaring that Jesus has risen from the dead and is The Lord who created all things!

James, the brother of Jesus, who grew up with Jesus and did not believe that Jesus was the Messiah, (he even thought Jesus was insane!) all of a sudden starts preaching boldly and publicly, that his brother is The Lord of the Universe who rose from the dead! What could explain that?

If the disciples were faking the resurrection, lying, making up the whole resurrection story in the Gospels, why would they have made up the part where women are the first and best witnesses to His resurrection, when, in the first century, Jews did not accept the testimony of women?

2:) The God of the Bible explains and makes sense of everything we see in life much better than the alternatives (such as blind chance, the Universe coming into existence for no reason out of nothing, humans having built-in morals means there must be a moral law-giver, etc.).

3:) The Bible contains scientific truths that were not discovered until centuries after the Bible was written.

4:) The Bible is historically accurate.

Today, I am adding a few more below:

5:) Fulfilled prophecy. (Through His prophets, God predicted that Israel would be taken over by the Babylonians and also by the Romans centuries in advance. God predicted what Cyrus and Alexander the Great would do over 100 years in advance. God predicted that the Roman Empire would rise to become the next world power. God predicted over 400 years in advance, that the Messiah would publicly arrive in Israel as King in the year 33 A.D. and suddenly be "cut off." God predicted that the Messiah would suffer and die as a sacrifice for all of our sins, and that the Messiah would experience crucifixion hundreds of years before crucifixion even began to happen, and many, many more prophecies)

Things in the Bible which no human could have known without Divine Revelation:

* The Bible, written thousands of years ago, said that springs and valleys exist on the ocean floor (Job 38:16 written around 1900 B.C.; Genesis 7:11 and Genesis 8:2 written around 1400 B.C.; and 2nd Samuel 22:16 written around 900 B.C.), however human scientists did not discover this until a few decades ago.

* The Bible described the process by which clouds are formed, rain is produced and ground water is replenished (Job 36:27-28 written around 1900 B.C. and Ecclesiastes 1:6-7 written around 900 B.C.). Humans made the same discovery in the 1600's, thousands of years after these Bible Passages were written.

* The Bible said that the stars cannot be counted (Jeremiah 33:22 written around 600 B.C.). For centuries, astronomers thought they could count the precise number of stars in the sky. however, the number of stars in the sky remains a great unknown. Eventually, scientists concluded that the stars could not be numbered, just as the Bible always claimed. Discussing the number of stars in the Milky Way alone, astronomer William Keel claims that there are "about as many as the number of hamburgers sold by McDonald's." Then he elaborates, "The usual way to determine the number of stars in the universe is to consider how many stars there are in the Milky Way, and then to multiply that number by our best estimate at the number of galaxies in the universe. This suggests there are probably about 400 billion stars in the Milky Way. The number of galaxies in the universe is an entirely different mathematical puzzle. Other estimates range from more than 200 billion stars in our galaxy to 3 thousand million billion stars (3 followed by 16 zeroes), in the universe. On a NASA Web Page, they state there are zillions of uncountable stars.

* The Bible said that the Earth is "hanging upon nothing" or "suspended in empty space". (Job 26:7 written around 1900 B.C.)

There are more reasons why I believe in the Bible, but those are the most important ones.

• Perry
    Perry

Excellent points Undisfellowshipped!

May I add that God is by necessity a First Cause. As such, that would make him absolutely UNIQUE. Unique means one of a kind. So although we are in his image, spirit, soul, and body; he is still one of a kind. He is three in one... three persons but just one God.

This doesn't sound like something that anyone from this world would invent.

• mouthy
    mouthy

In Phillip 2: 7 says HE emptied himself.Of what did he empty then?

I have 8 translations. The Jeruslem Bible puts it that way, ( also RSV) The Living Bible says "although he was God He laid aside his power..."

NIV Says "but made himself nothing taking the very nature of a servant."

I Believe Jesus is GOD ...God had a son he became God( just as man has a son he becomes man)
    I understand it like this. The Queen of England has power...But imagine if she came to my house to clean my bathroom,She is still woman like me. the only differance I have no mighty power,she has ,so she emptied herself for the time she came to my place ...

Frank> So what does it mean to put God "in a box," an expression often used by Trinitarians to label non-Trinitarians Your allowed to say that But I am a Trinity believer & my God "aint" in no box my friend

• Terry
    Terry

You can't win a Trinity argument with anybody pro or con.

Why?

Because it is a litmus test.

Of what?

Of your consciousness.

How so?

Wanting to understand something like a Triune God is a rational quest. If you are rational, then, your consciousness is human, finite and de facto sinful, fallen, wretched, evil and feckless.

But--if you accept on Faith a Triune God you have been called to faith by God and given to Jesus through the power of the Holy Spirit. You have become something irrational, unfallen and--therefore, reborn to a different way of "seeing".

There is the rub!

Only fleshly people not born of the spirit will bother to engage in these sorts of arguments over words demonstrating their fallen status!

You cannot choose to understand. Your earthly, fleshy mind craves logical, rational, gestalt-driven comprehension which CATCH 22-wise, means you are doomed.

If you accept the Triune God, you don't need persuading by scripture reference, argument, debate or fact-sifting dialogues. You prove God has called you to his own.

See how this works?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit