What is this about Marking?

by Missie Eff 18 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Marking is not rare at all. It is just a form of organized cruelty.

More than that, it's not SCRIPTURAL. That should be the important thing for all Dubs to recognise. As has been rightly pointed out, the marking was to be done INDIVIDUALLY i.e. each one would make his/her own personal decision. If they truly love the Bible as God's Word, how can they conscientiously carry out the instructions of an imperfect, man-made organisation which flies in the face of the Christian message. More than that, even, how can they carry out rules which ARE ADDED to the Bible?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"It's better to light a candle than to curse the darkness."
    Anonymous

• Angharad
    Angharad

I remember someone being 'marked' in my old congregation, years ago.

It was explained that he had done something that warrented disfellowshipping but as he was an unbaptised publisher they couldn't and so he was marked.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I'm bastised and marked, because Ihaven't come to the meetings in awhile, that's all.

Weird.

ashi

• paulvarjak
    paulvarjak

The body of elders that I was a part of, in Texas BTW, was a marking machine. It was a regular feature and I have personally talked to the service desk in NY regarding the "proper protocol".

The most common marking is for those dating or marrying unbelievers. But it can apply to almost any situation and is at the discretion of the elder body for anything that is not technically a disfellowshipping matter but would represent shady conduct. By the protocol outlined from WT, the person is to be counseled first. If they don't respond and continue with their course then they would be informed that they are going to be marked.

This takes place with a talk from the platform where the person is not specifically identified, but the congo is given specific enough info to get the idea of whom and why. For instance, 'Would we want to associate with one who flaunts righteous standards by dating a worldly man...' or 'We should guard against association with ones who would be involved with (fill in the blank)', etc.

paul

• DIM
    DIM

the only "marking" that I know about happened to a guy that I grew up with. He sort of slept with a married girl but wouldn't admit it to the elder body, although there was circumstancial evidence. The way it was explained off of the stage was that he was bad news for now and then he'd be invited out socially or something and then it'd be ok. I also thought the society did this so as to avoid lawsuits, because if they df'd somebody w/out the person admitting to anything, they'd be f**ked. I could be wrong though. One thing I am certain of, however, is that this practice is not in the bible and was invented by the Watchtower Society.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Ahh,

another example of their "warm Christian love for one another".

By their love, you will know my disciples..

Well, that says volumes.. I guess they aren't Jesus' disciples after all..

- Wannahelp

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Well...in my son's case...they didn't even WARN him before marking him. When we talked with the PO who scheduled the talk for the local needs part (and by the way; the same talk was given by the congregation sharing our hall four days before the wedding) he said they never talked to my son because they were "GUN SHY". Oh for crying out loud...go figure that one out.

We pointed out that even the watchtower says you must warn someone before you punish him; but that was totally ignored. The big guys can do anything they want to anybody and take no responsibility basically for their actions.

And how can someone raised a JW and standing up for their beliefs her whole life be called an Unbeliever? A terrible misinterpretation of scripture and utterly taken out of context. (Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers).

Someone get me a beer.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Marking is alive and well and practised here in the Midlands uk.- at least about 4 years ago when I was on the Body Of Elders.

Sister X.. had backslid a bit ,and someone grassed on her for giving a Christmas gift to her new born grand child.. The elders wanted to "mark her" because they could not make a judicial charge stick. I argued against it at the elders meeting but it was clear they were determined to do it .
    That meant no one was supposed to have social contact with her but she could take part in field service and meetings . As I recall, we did not see her much after that although my wife and I went around and chatted, and dissuaded her from dissassociating .

Wife and i said at the time that it did not seem to make sense , makes perfect sense now as i see it as another tool to keep the unruly ones in line..Power to the Elders!!

• Cook My Socks UK
    Cook My Socks UK

Looked this up as a serch as it's an issue locally. I did some research and I don't think that much has changed in the procedure.

1. Talk to the person, if he doesn't desist then

2. A talk to the cong is given, those aware of the situation are alerted and may choose to mark (withdraw from) the person.

As far as I am aware no names are mentioned and marking is individual not congregational. The original thought of course was concerning those who were disorderly, breaking up the peace, meddling in the business of others. Marking today doesn't always follow this.

See w99 7/15 Questions from readers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit