Do you have tofu recipe?

by asilentone 18 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

From harsh experience, cook your tofu gently. I also prefer the firm over the soft.

These recipes are all home-tested and worked on my manly-man. You might like them too.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=166817

http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/mediterranean-stew-a-recipe.htm (This is all vegetables, no tofu. But it's good.)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1850,155174-249199,00.html

My spectacular failures included replacing lasagne noodles with sliced tofu (the tofu was too soft, and the sauce too watery), and something called "tofu puffs". Like I say, don't over-cook.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Scramble it as a low-fat alternative to eggs.

Recipe here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0NAH/is_3_29/ai_54189555

• Borgia
    Borgia

You may try to make Gado Gado.

The tofu is sliced and fried and leave it cool off.

Make yourself some nice peanut sauce (slice and hack an onion, heat up some oil, fry the onion glazy, put peanut butter in there, little bit of cooked water just to get it more creamy, bit of brown sugar, bit of lemon juice and sambal as much as you like, or use spanish peppers or cayenapepper and ginger), boil eggs (hard but not green/ blue) boil ketan rice, nice sticky and cut cubes.

Get some pepinos or cumcumbers. Slice them, and leave them in some lemon juice and a bit of sambal.

Get some common green beans, boil it and leave it to cool off.

Take some Mung bean sprouts, mix it with the coled of green beans and make it nice presentable with the slices pepino or cumcumber,the slices hard boiled eggs and the slices of Tofu.

Additionally you could make some satèh, chicken satèh is prefreble given the type of meat. Marinate it in a Manis soja sauce together with five-spice powder (chinese) with crushed garlic and leave it for a few hours in the fridge to pick up the taste, and roast it preferably over charcoal.

The finishing touch = Krupuk or Kerupuk. I believe the aussies call it prawn cracker. You can buy it at any chinese toko but I would encourage you to try the fry it yourself ones. There are dozens of sorts and any color size and shape.

All in all it's fairly easy to make and tastes very good and if you leave till the next day, it will taste even better.....

Have a nice party!

Cheers

Borgia

• bebu
    bebu

Mine is very similar to sandy's. It's the ONLY way I willingly eat tofu:

Cut firm tofu into 4 cubes. Heat 1 1/2 inch corn or canola oil in a pan (I use a large saucepan, since the sides keep the spattering down).

Coat each cube with corn starch. Fry in oil, turning over with tongs when lightly browned. Remove and drain on paper towel. Put each cube in a small dish and sprinkle with your choice of sesame seed/chopped green onion/fish flakes (often used for sprinkling over hot rice, "kakikomi"). Pass soy sauce. Fast, very easy--and even my kids like it.

jgnat, I can imagine your lasagna soup. I hope you weren't trying to serve guests...

bebu

• jgnat
    jgnat
    jgnat, I can imagine your lasagna soup. I hope you weren't trying to serve guests...

It was my second attempt to get my hubby to accept tofu. I knew if I failed on my third attempt, it was never coming back in the house. My third attempt was the breaded tofu and eggplant, grilled, and covered in tomato sauce and cheese.

Now he gets mileage by asking the brothers if their wives make them eat tofu while proudly patting his flat tummy.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

This is what tofu does to me.

• PEC
    PEC

I will try just about anything. Anyone care to have BD and I over for tofu?

Philip

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I'll remember that next time you all are out here - definitely tofu instead of ham or steak or something like that. LOL

• parakeet
    parakeet

I never cooked with tofu, but my son once made vegetarian tacos with tofu, and they were delicious. I think the secret is to cook tofu with lots of strong seasonings. The tofu gives the dish protein and texture; the seasonings give it flavor. I'll try to find that recipe. Good luck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit