Do you have tofu recipe?

by asilentone 18 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

I just bought tofu recently, I thought I would try it, so I would like to have a very simple tofu recipe. Many Thanks!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

First of all, buy the firmest tofu you can get. If it isn't "Extra Firm," put it between two plates and put some weights on top - 2-3 cans of vegetables are about right. Leave it there until there's a puddle of water on the lower plate.

Now, here are two of our family favorites:

1. Slice it thin, less than half an inch thick, and bread it exactly as you would your favorite fried fish. Egg, breadcrumbs, and especially SEASONED SALT - the whole bit.

2. Buddha's Jewels - looks intimidating, but it's really no more complicated than meat loaf. Where this recipe says "Bragg's Liquid Aminos," use soy sauce - they taste very similar, and Bragg's is routinely used by health-food nuts as a soy sauce substitute.

3. Eggplant with Tofu - Haven't tried this, but it looks good as well as simple.

4. And you can always use "Tofu" as a search term at Epicurious or Recipezaar.

gently feral

• Gregor
    Gregor

Freeze the tofu first. Let it thaw and then press out the excess water with a towel. This makes it firmer and gives more texture. Slice and season with soy sauce. Place in a hot, greased frying pan and brown it on both sides. Then carefully scrape the whole mess into the garbage and don't ever buy the crap again.

• Scully
    Scully

I make a vegetarian version of teriyaki noodles that my kids really like:

Cut thin strips of green and red bell peppers, onions, celery, mushrooms and carrot (also shredded cabbage and bean sprouts are good in this recipe); separate a broccoli into small florets. Set aside in a bowl.

Cut extra firm tofu into small cubes (about 1/2"). Set aside in a bowl.

In the meantime, cook some linguine until done to your preference and then drain. Make sure the noodles don't stick together.

In a large pan on medium-high heat, stir fry the vegetables and when warmed through but not soft, toss in the noodles and warm through.

Add a jar of teriyaki sauce and toss everything together. Add the cubed tofu and give a final toss to coat with the sauce before serving.

• Currientology
    Currientology

I would agree... (you already have some, but if it is not... in the future...)...
    Buy firm or extra firm tofu. Soft and Silken tofu is more difficult to work with for the beginner than the firmer stuff and requires more knowledge and Creativity. You can substitute tofu for any meat / poultry / fish. It can be cooked in a variety of ways... Stir fry, bake, grill, bbq... Tofu is very good at absorbing flavors. Cut it up into ¼ - ½ in cubes, strips, whatever shape you desire. Marinade in whatever you would with beef / chicken (obviously lends itself to Asian style spices). Drain. Cook at a med – med-high heat... In a pan or wok generally with 1 table spoon of oil. It will brown. Serve with rice / needles and vegetables... Also works well for making things like.... burritos. I've made tofu stuffed ravioli , Vegan tofu and vegetable lasagna....

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

God I hope not. My fat clogged ateries would die if tofu went into them

Hill

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

I stir fry mine with sliced Portabello mushrooms, onion, and green pepper with a tad of sesame oil and teryaki sauce, and add a little hoisin sauce toward the end for a robust flavor. Simple, but yummy!

• sandy
    sandy

I also buy extra firm . . .

Cut it into 1/4 squares
    Bread it w/ flower and garlic salt
    Fry in olive oil, brown each side
    Pour Soy Sauce w/ lemon flavor over it
    Also add chopped green onions over it

I like it and my fiance thinks I make it better than a local Ramen house near us. I like mine but the restaurant's tastes better to me.

• PEC
    PEC
    Then carefully scrape the whole mess into the garbage and don't ever buy the crap again.

I'm with Gregor.

Philip

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

slice up some onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, whatever takes your fancy. Have some chicken broth and coconut milk handy. Saute veggies until somewhat tender, then stir in a generous amount of curry powder, or a less generous amount of curry paste (that stuff is hot) until it is fragrant. Add coconut milk until all the veggies are covered and add some chicken broth, up to the same amount. Simmer it down a bit, then cut the tofu in cubes, put it in the curry and heat through. Serve with rice. Very good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit