Do you use your PC to make phone calls??

by joebin 8 Replies latest jw friends

• joebin
    joebin

What are you currently using and how does it work and cost?

• oompa
    oompa

oh yeah and love it....totally free on skype........oompa

edit...actually it is free computer to computer....I think they do charge if you call an actual phone....very easy to use too

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have a BellSouth phone with integrated answering machine (great for recording Brother Hounder's calls). It costs me only about $25 a month for basic service--with all the calls I make, it would make little sense to use my computer for that purpose.

Besides, I prefer using it to help ruin the Washtowel.

• tfjw
    tfjw

What oompa said, and yes Skype can cost from pc to phone depending on your area. Skype does require a good connection. I travel a lot in our family's Winnebago and the connection can be bad sometimes and you lose the call.

• joebin
    joebin

Thanks for the replies. Can't get bellsouth here but skype I will try. If I understand right, it's free for PC to PC but if I call land lines, long distance fees apply?

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

I use a standard phone that plugs into a wireless Vonage phone adapter/router.

It saves a bundle. I don't like to depend on my PC to make calls. Vonage works like a regular phone line and has unlimited calls in the US, Canada, and UK for about $30 (including tax) monthly.

A@G

• oompa
    oompa

if you do have good pc to pc connection....skype is amazing...esp for free...I thought was a scam at first....They have been a number #1 down for a long time since e-bay bought them....I do some business with a company in China and we talk ofent on it....then the friends of my sales contac Zhang want to call me to practice their english!!! cracks me up....but there is a ton of that with those oversees....you can even pay people to teach you a foreign language all on skype and since you can record the sessions for future use...it is a pretty amazing tutor system........oompa

I want to learn Italian

• Dagney
    Dagney

Okay...I want to know about this.

Do you keep a basic phone connection a la AT&T for the DSL line, then use the vonnage or skype for all the phone services? How does this work?

TIA

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

altmy wife would like better phone service...spend, spend, spend!

Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit