Struggling with the concept of a "God"

by littleblueuk 50 Replies latest jw experiences

• littleblueuk
    littleblueuk

This topic, I'm sure, has been discussed many times, but today I am really contemplating the concept of God.

I remember vividly the Old Testament; the Israelites slaughtering everyone in their path, men, women and children at God's direction at Jericho, leaving no one alive. I remember thinking then as a child how cruel that was. There are many other examples.

Then reading the news today I read a section in the world news about India. It featured the food shortage. Something like 75 percent of the children are malnourished. It had a photo of a woman sitting helplessly by her infant's side while the infant was slowing starving to death. Other accounts of parents having to watch their children suffer and die just really breaks my heart...here we are in the US with child obesity rates at record highs and there are millions, if not billions, of people that can't even afford to buy a few cups of flour.

I imagine some will say that it's mankind's doing; corruption and greed that creates this. Yes, perhaps mankind compound it. But my question is WHY would a "loving" God as he so often calls himself in the Bible, allow this kind of suffering on such a monumental scale? What does he think he's accomplishing?

He's often referred to as "our loving father." Would any "loving" parent behave this way? If so, they would be prosecuted for child abuse.

How do you, if you have faith in God, reconcile this contradiction? Is it pure faith? How do you make that leap?

Just wondering...

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You're asking important questions, littleblueuk.

Many that post here have had no problem reconciling the suffering you describe with an unwavering belief in a benevolent God.

I guess that's what they call faith.

For another point of view, I highly recommend that you read Bart D. Ehrman's latest, God's Problem.

Ehrman is an ex-believer, ex-pastor in fact.

He has many friends that are believers, including his wife.

The book is both respectful of the intelligence of many believers and relentless in laying bare the inherent contradictions found in the explanation(s) for human suffering offered by the Bible.

I hope that you're able to obtain the book and that you find it helpful in some way as you seek to understand

the concept of a "God".
  • TopHat
    TopHat

God is not interfering with the affairs of mankind in general, that is the way I see it. I believe in the "Jefferson Bible" :))

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    God is not interfering with the affairs of mankind in general

That's very comforting.

• oompa
    oompa

I so hated the old testament my entire life...soo many issues there....and some you mentioned....funny because it wound up being the fake Christian Greek Scriptures (why the fluck can't we just say New Testament!?!?!?)....in our NWT that got me out.

All I know is that I am down to one thing...just one thing I have left to cling to the God thing. I am a nature freak and love the little things...atoms, molecules, cells, corpuscles.....and the big things........black holes and galaxies......No FREAKIN way this things happend all by themselves!!!! Just no way!..........however.......who that being is...what he is about.....how and if he has or will communicate with us?????............I don't have a flucking clue anymore.....................................oompa

• Gopher
    Gopher
    atoms, molecules, cells, corpuscles.....and the big things........black holes and galaxies......No FREAKIN way this things happend all by themselves!!!!

That's one point of view, but as the original poster said -- if there is some god who started all this, where has he/she/it gone? Why the terrible problems of evil? These all argue against the existence of a god.

Further, if the complexity of the universe argues in favor of there being a god -- consider this: Certainly you agree with the principle that an inventor or creator is more complex and advanced than that which he creates.

So since the universe is so complex, than the god who supposdly created all this must be infinitely complex himself/itself. The question is -- from where did this god come? Did he/she/it just pop up out of nowhere?

I'd argue it is more probable that the LESS complex universe would pop up out of nothing than a MORE complex creator would.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You just said a lot, Gopher.

• Satanus
    Satanus

'India. It featured the food shortage. Something like 75 percent of the children are malnourished. It had a photo of a woman sitting helplessly by her infant's side while the infant was slowing starving to death. Other accounts of parents having to watch their children suffer and die just really breaks my heart...here we are in the US with child obesity rates at record highs'

Good questions. History holds the answers. India has a long history of invasions from the north by groups possibly of greek, roman and persian origin. These invaders practiced genocide on the indigenous peoples, and instituted the caste system. There remains a strong polarity in india. Pakistan breaking away, and bangladesh are just recent incidents in a process that has been going on for millenia. The starvation is just a small byproduct of that struggle.

White americans have a much more inclusive mindset, a strong positive outlook on life. They are proactive in righting wrongs. I'm sure you know the rest of the reasons for obesity in a land of plenty.

Both americans and east indians have strong beliefs in god(s). However, by simply letting facts of history talk for themselves, god(s) need not be part of the reasons for poverty or plenty.

S

• oompa
    oompa

gee thanks gopher!....I was already heading for the rubber room.....thanks for the push!.......oompa

• littleblueuk
    littleblueuk

Satanus,

I hear your argument and you are right as far as the wars, invasions and the caste systems in place. Still doesn't really tie in with a "loving God" who cares so much for mankind (allegedly.)

Thanks for the book recommendation. I am going on a cruise with my JW mother and just might buy it for that!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit