GOD---the anti-concept

by Terry 33 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I see what you're saying (I think), but how has mankind created the physical and mental pain caused by natural diseases, natural disasters, and loss of loved ones?

Maybe because they are only natural disasters in relation to ourselves. They are natural processes. Does the giant cyclone bigger than Earth that twists in the atmosphere of Jupiter qualify as a natural disaster? No. It is not a disaster if it does not cause human suffering. If I walk onto a freeway and get hit by a car is it God's fault? But we have lost the ability in our fallen state to see the oncoming traffic.

BTS

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

So it's our fault that we're hit by hurricanes, earth quakes, lightening, and get painful, disabling diseases for not being able to avoid them? Or it's nobody's fault?

God created the potential for natural disasters (or, "natural life threatening occurrences") because...?

Or is it caused by our fallen state? Meaning; are natural, life threatening occurrences part of the consequence of mankind's sin? Has, as JWs say, God 'let go' and we are experiencing the effects of him 'pulling the plug' a few thousand years ago?

I find it much simpler to accept that we are part of a naturally volatile universe (although we are located in a relatively calm area of it, otherwise we wouldn't be here to talk about it) and are therefore hit by natural disasters - or life threatening occurrences if you will - because that's the nature of the universe we happen to exist in and planet we live on. No reason, no rhyme; "time and chance happens to us all", if I may be so bold as to paraphrase a scripture.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    So it's our fault that we're hit by hurricanes, earth quakes, lightening, and get painful, disabling diseases for not being able to avoid them?

That is basically what I said.

I find it much simpler to accept that we are part of a naturally volatile universe (although we are located in a relatively calm area of it, otherwise we wouldn't be here to talk about it) and are therefore hit by natural disasters - or life threatening occurrences if you will - because that's the nature of the universe we happen to exist in and planet we live on.

I basically said that too, but with the proviso that we are unable to understand these processes in order to control them or see these things coming and avoid them due our fallen natures.

BTS

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    we are unable to understand these processes in order to control them or see these things coming and avoid them due our fallen natures

Well, you have to see the argument through though: This means we in our "pre-fallen nature" would be able to avoid for instance an asteroid hitting nearby while we're sleeping, causing dust clouds that cause diseases and death of crops and thus food supply, in addition to the death of those directly hit.

How would we avoid that? Why would we need to, when God could perfectly easily have either stopped the asteroid, or not created the potential for its existence in the first place.

We've had this discussion before. I find it ridiculous, you and others find it perfectly reasonable. I guess we'll all just have to decide for ourselves based on what we see and can reason from.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit