We are all decended from Eve

by Sasha 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

....it's that the lack of a recent genetic bottleneck rules out any possibility of the human population four thousand years ago being eight...

In the flood story, all children would be cousins in the first generation and double cousins in the second. Most higher mammals would not survive that severe of a bottleneck at all.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Most higher mammals would not survive that severe of a bottleneck at all.

Could that be the reason - or part of it - that the post-Flood life span dropped so dramatically?

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82
    Most higher mammals would not survive that severe of a bottleneck at all.

Could that be the reason - or part of it - that the post-Flood life span dropped so dramatically?

Ermmm....

Wasn't there a similar bottleneck that occurred...when those lifespans were longer?

I.e., Adam's children were all brothers & sisters, his grandchildren all 1st cousins, etc., similar to just after the flood.

So why does the "post flood bottleneck" work differently than the "pre flood bottleneck"?

All of the above assumes the Bible accurately describes literal history of course.

• snowbird
    snowbird

So why does the "post flood bottleneck" work differently than the "pre flood bottleneck"?

Could it be that they obeyed the command to spread out over the Earth pre-Flood and disobeyed post?

All of the above assumes the Bible accurately describes literal history of course.

That is my presupposition in discussing all things Biblical.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

Could it be that they obeyed the command to spread out over the Earth pre-Flood and disobeyed post?

Say, X years after Adam, the total global population is 100. So, they decide to "fill the earth". 20 go off in this direction, 10 go off there, etc.

Don't you run into the same 1st cousin / 2nd cousin genetic bottleneck issues in these small isolated groups as well?

Meanwhile, the same X years after the flood, the whole population of 100 has stuck together. Now you don't have to marry your dibling or 1st cousin - there's more to choose from.

Seems like staying together would lessen the problems, not increase them. You'd have a bigger gene pool to draw from.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Aren't genetic bottlenecks common in Alabama?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

That is my presupposition in discussing all things Biblical.

That's how faith works, isn't it.

One presupposes that the Bible (for instance) is correct. One concludes beforehand that it is the word of God. Any evidence that may run contrary to the Bible is thereafter discarded, because it goes against the word of God(!). One keeps any evidence (or speculation) that it may be correct. One has faith (and is proud of it) in the Bible based on this.

This reminds me of this statement that I happened to stumble upon when researching creationist material:

http://www.dinosaur-extinction.com/

Dinosaur Extinction: The TheoryDinosaur Extinction is a recent phenomenon. Many of the great sea and land monsters went extinct in a global flood about 4400 years ago. Some of these creatures survived and inhabited earth with man, until they too went extinct as man killed them for sport, safety, and expansion (like black bears in Florida and bison in the Western U.S.). We know this theory is revolutionary to many! However, we must admit – it’s not original. In fact, the theory isn’t really a “scientific” theory at all. It’s based on the established truth of the Biblical record – a record that’s not dependant on mankind’s ever-changing view of science and reason. We absolutely encourage you to carefully examine the evidence for yourself!

(btw, I've researched their 'evidence', and it's half truths, lies, refuted research etc.)

-This is not meant as an attack on snowbird, but her statement reminded me of this.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Don't you run into the same 1st cousin / 2nd cousin genetic bottleneck issues in these small isolated groups as well?

Wouldn't the longer life spans, with some fathering children at 800 years of life, make this a non-issue?

I remember viewing a chart somewhere that showed exponentially how the human population could have increased before the Flood.

I was intrigued at how from the first couple mankind could have numbered in the millions at the time of the Flood.

There's so much we don't know about conditions back then.

I do know this: Man was created with a desire to propagate the species, and we've done just that.

Some civilizations have died out, only to be replaced with another.

If all of this was due to mere chance, then Someone could really throw the dice!

Sylvia

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Aren't genetic bottlenecks common in Alabama?

Not as common as in Ireland.

Sylvia

• sir82
    sir82

You lost me!

I can't follow the "logic" there.

It's all rather moot anyways -- discussions of 800 year old men having children are a bit...how can I put this gently..."speculative" to say the least.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit