We are all decended from Eve

by Sasha 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

What funkyderek said.

Using Eve for that ancient common ancestor - what a mistake?

Sasha - do you understand what funkyd is telling you about this "Eve" they are referring to? Definitely nothing to do with Genesis, the Bible or a creator.

S4

• snowbird
    snowbird

Of course we are!

From The Message Bible:

Genesis 3:20 The Man, known as Adam, named his wife Eve because she was the mother of all the living.

There is nothing in those Mitochondrial Eve studies that would rule out the simple statement above.

Sylvia

• Caedes
    Caedes
    There is nothing in those Mitochondrial Eve studies that would rule out the simple statement above.

Maybe not that particular verse but certainly the creation myth that we are all the descendants not only of eve but of Noah and family, the idea of a genetic bottleneck that recent is most definitely put in it's place as a myth.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

snowbird:

Genesis 3:20 The Man, known as Adam, named his wife Eve because she was the mother of all the living.

That's partly true. Nothing about them would stop a man called Adam naming his wife Eve, although the absurdity about her being "the mother of all the living" has to be discounted, as does the likelihood that she has any correspondence at all to Mitochondrial Eve. The fact that Mitochondrial Eve existed is a logical certainty, and as her name was picked with reference to the mythological Eve, there's not even a coincidence involved. We know that unlike the mythological Eve, Mitochondrial Eve lived around 200,000 years ago, and she was not the only woman alive at that time. Evolution simply doesn't work fast enough to allow someone who lived a mere 6,000 years ago to hold the title.

• snowbird
    snowbird

There's enough we don't know about the biblical Eve to fill another Bible.

How long did she live?

Did she outlive Adam? If she outlived him, did she remarry?

How many daughters did she have?

Were she and her daughters contemporary breeders?

As for the Flood account's ruling out recent genetic bottlenecking, I say, never say never.

Sylvia

• Caedes
    Caedes

How long did she live?

As for the Flood account's ruling out recent genetic bottlenecking, I say, never say never.

I'm not sure what difference the biblical account would make, the empirical evidence rules out a genetic bottleneck in the past six thousand years, case closed, the fat lady has sung, it is time to say never.

Accepting a less literal version of biblical events does allow more room for wriggling of course.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

snowbird:

Isn't that always the way with supporting characters? They have so much mystery because we don't get to read their whole story.

How long did she live?

Details about women in the Bible are usually sketchy. They were essentially considered property and therefore have less detailed stories than their male counterparts.

You've got it wrong. It's not that the Flood account rules out recent genetic bottlenecking, it's that the lack of a recent genetic bottleneck rules out any possibility of the human population four thousand years ago being eight. There are of course many many other reasons for believing that there was no global flood as described in Genesis, and many other reasons for believing that there were far far more than eight people around at the time, but the genetic variety observed among humans living today is in itself sufficient to explode this myth.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Genetic Bottleneck

Another proof that genetic information accumulates rapidly comes from the Biblical flood record.

Following the flood, a single breeding pair for each kind was reintroduced following the flood, and 7 pairs of each clean animal. Only 8 people were on board the ark.

Isn't it amazing how we "see" differently?

Sylvia

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

snowbird:

Isn't it amazing how we "see" differently?

Yes. I would never begin to imagine that posting an obviously false statement in a larger font would lend it even a smidgen of credibility.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Yes. I would never begin to imagine that posting an obviously false statement in a larger font would lend it even a smidgen of credibility.

I try, Sovereign Lord, I really do.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit