Is Jdubs practice of Teenage baptism really any better than Infant Baptism?

by blkblk13 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

A Catholic baptized at birth can leave later without severe penalties, as they have not yet made a decision. Even after confirmation, they often do become inactive or change religions. It is rare that their whole lives fall apart just because they leave their church.

When the witlesses get baptized at 12, they are stuck. They cannot become inactive without Brother Hounder showing up. If they break one of the many ever-changing rules, they are in for houndings or cutting off by the religion. And they have to believe everything the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger puts out without questioning it.

From what I hear, they are pushing even younger children to get baptized. I have heard of cases of children as young as 6 getting baptized, and they make a showcase out of it.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

worse for two reasons 1. Wastes more water. 2. Gives poor teen impression it was their choice.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

Conserve water, use low-flo Baptisms! No more sprinkle than you use for a tinkle!

• Iwonder17
    Iwonder17

I completely agree.

I was btzd at 13...I had NO IDEA what I was getting into. I am now in my mid 30's and am just starting to understand the "real" truth.

And I also agree with oompa, Jesue was 30'ish when he was baptized. I think that should set a guideline for all. it doesn't have to be 30, but it sure as heck shouldn't be 8 or even 18.

Geez, even the government knows enough that kids don't know what they are doing until at least 18 - hence the military minium age.

• oompa
    oompa

soo funny that bloomin youths can't date....because they are in that bloom of youth thing where you can't think about anything buy boobs all the time..........but that same bloomin youth without a single serious thought except his pants getting tight for no apparent reason........can understand the seriousness of lifelong commitment to an invisible thing???......weird.......oompa

and I soooooo hated the baptism annoucement...."We had a total of 37 baptised today friends.....36 sisters and one brother (ha...liked that part!)....and isn't this something friends........they range from just a mere 8 years old all the way to 87 years old! (insane applause)....My oh my friends...from 8 to 87. I guess that just goes to show dear friends....it is never to early or too late to serve Jehovah! (insane jumping up and standing applause!!!)............oh yuk.....I just make myself sic....heading for terlit................oompa

• Layla33
    Layla33

I think this is a great question because I really didn't understand enough about what I was doing because it was what I was raised to believe. Contrary thinking was so discouraged that I wasn't able to really think for myself until maybe around 16 or 17. In a way, there was so much pressure to do it, like once you are approaching 16 and you have two generations of family in it and you are not baptized, they start to imply things. It's gravely unjust.

• witnessgirl
    witnessgirl
    If I recall correctly Jesus wasn't baptized untill he was like 30 right?

Yeah, and he also wore a beard. Funny that Jesus Christ couldn't be baptised as a Witness because of the way that he looked. I'm pretty sure that he smoked cigarettes, too.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

I was Dunked at 14. I really had no idea what I was doing either... it was just expected. I was rushed into it a little bit because the "brothers" said I couldn't be in my sister's KH wedding unless I was baptised (which isn't true). I am sure I would have caved in within a few years anyway though.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

The funny thing is, Jesus was 30 when he was baptised... I was around 30 when I started to realize how insane the JW faith really is.

Maybe that's why they don't want anyone to wait that late to commit.

How can they hold a 14 old responsible for making such a life altering descision?

• Switch
    Switch

The Society just picks and chooses whatever example THEY feel like using from the Bible. Shouldn't it be obvious that if Jesus' age was mentioned in the Bible, then that would be a good example to follow??? I just had this discussion with my mom and she doesn't see the logic. She insists that the 10 and 12 year olds that have gotten baptized from her KH are "very spiritual and mature" for their age. It boils my blood. I lost my cool and said, "well, why don't they get married while they're at it - since they are so good at making life-long commitments!" At one point she lashed back at me and said "that I only got baptized so I could get married." It stung cuz it was partially true. I was 19 and felt pressured for having waited SO LATE in my teens. I also wanted to do the right thing and live the right life. My mom is the one that wanted me to have a proper wedding cuz she never had one. Maybe i could have went her route and gotten pregnant before getting married. I DARE NOT throw that in my mother's face. I do show a little respect.

Anyway, the marriage has worked out great. 17+ years behind us. The baptism decision - not so great.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit