UK / USA opinion poll

by HB 17 Replies latest social current

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

JD - You're right - we're the product of our local education systems. But these are far from equal. To back up my statment about southern states being less educated - look at this: State Literacy Rates. There is an obvious north/south divide in those figures.

Majestic - I thought Sinn Féin was on top in Northern Ireland now. Hopefully they'll be re-joining the republic soon. For the record - unfortunatly I'm a product of the American public education system. My kids are getting a much better education here in Ireland. It's funny 25% don't believe in god here, but 95% of schools are Catholic.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

USoA here

No
    No
    Wouldnt mind
    Not sure evolution is closer than ID
    No, perfectly acceptable, but you have to be responsible about it (ie, call the next day and whatnot )
    No
    Warmer, not human activity

Look like Im mostly UKer

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

In all serious now I think this poll does show that we athiest/agnostic types in Europe are pretty lucky. The societies we live in are much more accepting. I get the impression that in the USA athiests are given much more of a hard time.

You gotta struggle to keep the "faith" IP_Sec, or come on over.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

You gotta struggle to keep the "faith" IP_Sec, or come on over.

Been to the big L and miss it greatly. Would love to visit scotchland and irelands.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    To back up my statment about southern states being less educated - look at this: State Literacy Rates. There is an obvious north/south divide in those figures.

Do you really mean to equate intelligence with education? I believe your comment was about iq levels, not education. They are, in fact, two completely separate issues. Uneducated geniuses exists, as well as the opposite.

• besty
    besty

John Doe - there is a negative correlation between education/intelligence and religious belief.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/149010/1.ashx

"Of 43 studies carried out since 1927 on the relationship between religious belief and one's intelligence and/or educational level, all but four found an inverse connection. That is, the higher one's intelligence or education level, the less one is likely to be religious or hold "beliefs" of any kind."

Source: Mensa Magazine 2002, quoted by Richard Dawkins The God Delusion

• lrkr
    lrkr

OK- so you Brits kick all of the Puritans and other extreme religious nuts out of your country and send them here and then have the nerve to point out that we are more 'religious, closed minded, and ignorant'

Well of course we are- but you guys caused it.

We'll send all of our religious nuts back if you like.

Starting with our President!!!!

• besty
    besty

IMHO Western Europe is post-Christian, whereas the USA populace seems to be in thrall to the Sky Daddy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit