UK / USA opinion poll

by HB 17 Replies latest social current

• HB
    HB

A new opinion poll from YouGov has compared the US and Great Britain on a number of issues. It covers politics, social issues, troops in Iraq and Afganistan, free trade, globalisation, religion, immigration, the economy, etc etc.

Interestingly, the most marked difference between the two nations is in relation to belief in God.

I have copied a few excerpts here, but the full survey can be read at

http://www.yougov.com/uk/archives/pdf/UK%20US%20topline%20comparison.pdf

Do you believe there is a God?

Yes I do - UK 39% USA 80%

No I Don't - UK 36% USA 9%

Not sure - UK25% USA 11%

Do you believe that there is a Hell where sinners who do not repent their sins go when they die?

Yes I do - UK 16% USA 54%

No I don’t - UK 57% USA 27%

Not sure - UK

27% USA 19%

How would you feel if the Prime Minister / President were an atheist?

I would be delighted - UK

11% USA 6%

I wouldn’t mind - UK

63% USA 28%

I would be sorry - UK

14% USA 31%

I would be angry - UK

2% USA 21%

Don’t know - UK

10% USA 14%

Which do you think is more likely to be the correct explanation for the origin of life on earth?

The theory of evolution - UK

63% USA 30%

The account of creation as told in the Bible - UK

10% USA 40%

“Intelligent design” – evolution has happened but by intelligent design - UK

13% USA 19%

Not sure - UK 15% USA 11%

Do you regard sex between unmarried people as a sin or not?

Yes it is a sin - UK

5% USA 33%

No it is not a sin but it is not generally desirable - UK

22% USA 29%

No it is perfectly acceptable behaviour - UK

71% USA 34%

Don’t know - UK

2% USA 4%

Do you regard homosexuality as a sin or not?

Yes it is a sin - UK

13% USA 40%

No it is not a sin but it is not generally desirable - UK

37% USA 27%

No it is perfectly acceptable behaviour - UK 46% USA 26%

Don’t know - UK

4% USA 7%

(I have added this one as I just read a thread on this topic.)
    On the subject of climate change do you think…

The world is becoming warmer as a result of human activity - UK

55% USA 49%

The world is becoming warmer but NOT because of human activity - UK 25% USA 19%

The world is NOT becoming warmer - UK

7% USA 18%

Not sure - UK

13% USA 14%

Although UK and USA contributors to JWD are probably not a completely representative sample of their respective nations, I have noticed some definite trends on this board showing opinions drawn along national lines . Makes for more interesting discussions!

On a tangent, and national trends aside, the fact that ex JWs have such a wide range of opinions as seen on JWD proves that the Governing Body does not succeed in permanently re-wiring brains and creating all members into drones (or are they trying to create members in their Own image?). Once out of the cult, the previously supressed opinions of ex members are as diverse as the rest of society. A fact to celebrate!

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

So that means that America is a little more religiously inclined than the UK. But the UK are a bunch of slappers compared to the US…….

The one on climate change did surprise me. Didn’t know that it would be quite as close. Especially after reading the recent thread….

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

There you go. Proof that the British are FAR more intelligent than the Yanks!

Paul

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I guess if they had included Ireland it would have made all of you look stupid, not just the Americans.

Seriously though - the USA is a huge place. They really should break that down by region. Southerners are pretty uneducated from my experience and are probably bringing down the rest of the country by a few dozen IQ points.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Southerners are pretty uneducated from my experience and are probably bringing down the rest of the country by a few dozen IQ points.

BS.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

You make a very compelling rebuttal JD.

Are you implying all americans are equally dumb?

• John Doe
    John Doe

I'm an atheist. Although that is not releveant, I state this as an effort to nip the inevitable ad hominem attacks in the bud before they start.

In my experience, equating religious beliefs with intelligence is a sign of a narrow mind that is not open to original thought. Thinking that a lack of belief in god or, alternately, a lack of spirituality in any way indicates intelligence is a folly to being intelligent, to say the least.

Be that as it may, I don't think one can accurately compare the intelligence between different nationalities with any simplified test. We are all a product of our environment, and averages do not vary greatly from one group to the next.

• John Doe
    John Doe

MIssingLInk, if your post was not an attempt at a fishing expedition, then it is not worthy of a serious response. As such, I will not dignify it with one.

• Mr. Majestic
    Mr. Majestic

I guess if they had included Ireland it would have made all of you look stupid, not just the Americans.

The last time that I looked at a map the UK included Northern Ireland......!!

Wonder if Ireland has the same problem with their southerners being ‘pretty uneducated’……??

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

Not surprising, even Turkey scores more secular in similar polls than the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit