Did Anyone Watch Swingtown on Thursday Night?

by jamiebowers 12 Replies latest social entertainment

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

It was the pilot episode. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't more of a seduction of the new swingers. All it took was a few recreational drugs. But overall it was well written and acted. Any opinions out there?

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Yep, we watched it. It seemed a little disjointed, I think they could have left out some things in order to properly introduce all the characters in the little time they had.

Otherwise, it was interesting. They had GREAT music !

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I forgot to mention the music; it was good. And the show did seem a little disjointed, but I like that. It kind of throws you off, and you have to pay attention to what's going on. I hate to be watching something and know what's gonna happen next.

• inkling
    inkling

Am I the only one that found it annoyingly prudish?

I know, it's CBS... (Network TV: Home of the L shaped sheet and strategically placed objects) I just think a subject manner such as the sexual liberation in the wake of the 60's is a topic better addressed in a production environment that allows for more honest depictions of intimacy, like showtime or HBO.

[inkling] (who's just annoyed that he didn't get to see any boobies)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Inkling, you are toooo funny! My dear husband said if he could grow his own breasts,he'd be so busy that he could never leave the house.

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

HBO might be a better venue. The 'old' friend reminded me of JW's and other fundies, she played the part very believabley.

I was uncomfortable with the separate story line with the teens -- don't know where they are going with that. It didn't seem to mesh with the adult story.

And, yep...no boobies.

• CunningMan
    CunningMan

It sounds like "The Ice Storm: The Series." You'd probably find that movie more interesting.

• Balsam
    Balsam

I watched it too, appreciated how authentic over all it appeared, since I'm from that generation. Loved the music back then. But their sexual liberation was tantilizing even to JW's. One time about 1978 my elder husband suggested it laughingly to me with our best friends. He had the hots for our brother's wife. Weird even in the witnesses it proved to be tempting. I said no and decided to find my own lover apart from that goings on. LOL My elder husband went on to have an affair with this sister by the way. Seems we were working on being JW swingers. I know a small group of us went out to disco's, drank and danced the night away. We danced with each other's spouses and there was some groping and temptation going on. My husband loved the idea of course, me I though so why be married at all?

Any other JW's from back then fall into the temptation.

Balsam

• observador
    observador

Oh, boobs, I love them. Are you telling me they didn't show any? I'm disappointed. :)

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I was uncomfortable with the separate story line with the teens -- don't know where they are going with that. It didn't seem to mesh with the adult story.

I think the story line for each of the family members was about being cut off from their past friends in their old neighborhood. The mother and father becoming swingers alienated them from the couple who were their best friends, the daughter lost interest in her stoner boyfriend, and the young son can no longer be friends with his old best friend, due to the best friend's humiliation at being beat up by the girl he was lying about.

I think it will be worth watching at least a few more episodes of this show to see where it's going. The subject matter of swinging is very interesting to me, because parents of some friends of mine while growing up were swingers. I remember being so shocked when I heard about it as a kid. It's not for me and my husband, but to each his own, I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit