Are JW's allowed to go to Alcoholic's Anonomous?

by digderidoo 32 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

AA recommends 90 meetings in 90 days that wouldnt leave any time for magazine sales meetings.

I dont think the publishing company would approve of a competitor on their turf.

Espcically when the publishing companys world view probably is a major contributor to ones alocoholic state.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I remember being told that going to AA meetings and getting with their program to quit drinking was not prohibited by the WTS. Of course many would frown upon it but bottom line was that drunkards will not inherit God’s kingdom. I was able to stop drinking (eighteen years ago) without AA but would have gone if it had been necessary. My life now is 1000% better then my life of drinking. Job advancement, no hangovers, better health, etc. And if I don’t inherit God’s kingdom it will be for reasons other than being a drunkard.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks all, i'm just a bit concerned that if i do tell my mom that she's gonna be researching about it through the WT later. Guess you've alleviated my fears.

Paul

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

You can go but it won't be so "anonomous" when the Brothers spread the news around the Kingdom Hall.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Breaking the Chains of Alcohol Abuse. Aw 05 ..Oct 8

There are many treatment centers, hospitals, and recovery programs that can provide help. Jehovah’s Witnesses do not endorse any particular treatment. Care must be exercised so that one does not become involved in activities that would compromise Scriptural principles. In the final analysis, however, each will have to decide for himself what type of treatment is needed.

Offiicially, they do not comment for or against . That may not stop a busybodying individuall giving a negative opinion , but that may be true of people from all walks of life.

Many years ago I knew a "study" who had a smoking problem . She enrolled in group therapy treatment at the local hospital. She told me that some had criticisized her for "seeking a cure in the world" . I disagreed with that advice..She stuck to her guns, conquered the habit and got baptized . Nowadays I am not sure if that was a good thing in the long run? But that is what happened.

Good luck in your recovery

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hello Didg,

I attended Al-Anon for 4 months in order to understand and deal with the behavior of an alcoholic JW friend. A fellow JW - encouraged by our elders to attend - was my unofficial sponsor. After each meeting all members but one joined hands and said THE LORD'S PRAYER. Once a month we had a birthday party to celebrate members' yearly anniversary date.

I joined in with all of the above, my friend graciously assuring me that there was no problem in my doing so (all my JW friends thought of me as an active Witness). My sponsor, however, would not take part in anything smacking of interfaith or a celebratory nature.

CoCo

• JeffT
    JeffT
    I am alive because of recovery fellowships

Ditto here. I've been away for too long to comment on the question asked, but I realize that you're preparing to deal with your family. I hope you can explain that this program has helped a lot of people, and its what you need to put your life together.

• minimus
    minimus

Nobody could say anything if the court or state ordered a person to AA.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Thanks BB for that Awake quote.

Minimus, that doesn't happen over here. If someone is ordered by the court it is usually some therapy under the supervision of probation. AA is not ordered by the courts in the UK at present.

Paul

• minimus
    minimus

In certain states, here, it is part of the sentence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit