Martin Luther Sounds like He's talking about the WTBTS in the 1500's!

by AuntBee 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AuntBee
    AuntBee

Usually i'm just a lurker. I'm a Chrirstian concerned for a JW teen, and wanting to understand what he's going through, and where he's coming from I don't usually post, but this morning i came upon this while reading from The Sermons of martin Luther , Volume 1. He's speaking about Luke 21:28.

"The godless fanatical preachers are to be censured who in their sermons deprive people of these words of Christ and faith in them, who desire to make people devout by terrifying them and who teach them to prepare for the last day by relying upon their good works as satisfaction for their sins. Here despair, fear and terror must remain and grow and with it hatred, aversion and abhorrence for the coming of the Lord, and enmity against God be established in the heart; for they picture Christ as nothing but a stern judge whose heart must be appeased by works, and they never present Him as the Redeemer, as he calls and offers himself, of whom we are to expect that out of pure grace he will redeem us from sin and evil.

Such is always the result where the GOspel is not rightly proclaimed. When hearts are only driven by commands and threats, they will only be estranged from God, and be led to abhor Him. "

• snowbird
    snowbird

Such is always the result where the GOspel is not rightly proclaimed. When hearts are only driven by commands and threats, they will only be estranged from God, and be led to abhor Him. "

Amen and welcome to JWD.

I read where a search of WT documents will reveal that the year 1964 was the last time Luke 21:8 was quoted in the publications.

Wonder why?

Sylvia

• whoknows
    whoknows

Thank you for that Aunt Bee. The Governing Body certainly does maintain their control through fear and intimidation, and in the process alienate their followers from the concept of a loving and forgiving God.

• BFD
    BFD

Thanks, AuntBee and welcome.

Snowy, I just looked up that Scripture and after reading it I wouldn't be surprised if that has not been quoted in any litterature since 1964.

BFD

• snowbird
    snowbird

Oops! I'm thinking of the wrong verse of Luke 21.

Please disregard my statements about verse 8.

Luke 21:28And when these things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Sylvia

• BFD
    BFD

Luke 21:8

8 He replied: "Watch out that you are not deceived. For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am he,' and, 'The time is near.' Do not follow them.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke%2021:8;&version=31 ;

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BFD

• snowbird
    snowbird

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

BFD

That's exactly my point, BFD.

Sylvia

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hi, Ain'tBee Sorry I just had to give props to the name.

Yes I agree with you.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

A understand why the comparison would be made.

I'm careful not to get to attached to such comparisons. For what it's worth I don't think Luthers situation was really all that similar to the JWs today.

I would say that if you want to understand what this JW is going through, you might want to step back and think of it on a very basic level. If you believe that this person needs your version of Christianity to be happy I believe you are missing the point. Many make this mistake.

I think it much more important to understand that the individual JW really is being forced into not thinking for himself. This transcends religious belief. This is about attitude towards other people. Do people have the right to choose for themselves what to believe, or should they be chased down into a corner? I believe that many JWs are held by what can only be described as emotional blackmail through policies such as shunning. As was mentioned in the quote provided fear is used as well.

Many people in groups like the JWs aren't making choices based upon what they think is best. Rather they are forced and manipulated to believe that making a choice a certain group wants them to make is Gods will.

I'm most concerned not that people hold different beliefs than me, but that it's not completely of their own free will that they believe them.

Sorry for that rant but I think a good distinction needs to be made.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Hi drew,

you are an idiot.

but that it's not completely of their own free will that they believe them.

Everything is free will. It is the penalty that is different.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit