What Things Used To Bother Your Conscience?

by minimus 34 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I have to admit that not much actually "bothered" my conscience. What about you??

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I was a JW I gave the watchtower authority over my conscience and I didn't have to think for myself. Eventually I developed a conscience of my own, and it didn't allow me to remain a JW.

W

• Robert7
    Robert7

I had no conscience. Not that I did anything 'bad', but I never felt guilt on gray areas. Anything that was a 'conscience matter' I would do :)

• minimus
    minimus

Me too, Robert.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Anything negative said towards the Gb......any Apostate words or thoughts.......

Now any reservations and thoughts like that have been thrown totally out the Window ......I'm free!

hope4others

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Let's see....

"self abuse" why is called that, it never hurt.

I tried smoking once when I was a kid.

When I was 15 I started fornicating with my boyfriend. That was pure hell on my conscience. But I couln't seem to stop.

momz

• james_woods
    james_woods

I assume Minimus means "when you were a witness".

This may sound strange, but in the 17 years or so that I was associated, I always had one foot in the world and one foot in the "truth". Pioneer, Elder, <> Airplane Pilot, Sports Car Owner, Businessman, College Student... not a healthy mix for your mental state.

The reality of it was that I was truly ashamed to be a JW the whole time. I was ashamed of what I was religiously to all my ordinary world friends and associates. This bothered my conscience - as I was basically being dishonest.

It did not bother my witness conscience to have the business, drive the Porsche, own the Citabria, or the rest of it. I always figured that the witnesses were cracked on the mind control stuff, and that some things were my own business. It never bothered me at all that I might not be acting out the "good witness" stuff. We were well enough off to get whatever recognition the congregation had to offer position-wise, and doing so did not really bother me at all.

So I guess you could say that my worldly conscience was bothered by being a weirdo dub all along, and my dub conscience was dumbed down enough by having fun in the world so as not to give me any grief.

It sounds pretty messed up now that I look back on it, but I am glad it was not the other way around.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Cancelling talks at the last minute used to bother my conscience. I found I could alleviate that by not cancelling. Instead I just wouldn't show up.

W

• Robert7
    Robert7

To elaborate on my comment, to me, 'conscience matter' meant "it's ok" :)

• caliber
    caliber

The not doing enough theme, although I just couldn't understand calling on the same house over and over each month .

The whole guilt and fear idea, I have always cared about people not wanting to "stumble them ".

Caliber

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit