No CO's - Is It True?

by aniron 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• aniron
    aniron

I've just heard that they are going to do away with Circuit Overseers.

Is this true or just a rumour?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Speculation at this point... but we are seeing things that make it plausible.

The folks on this board seem to have a knack for piecing data and rumors... they seem to have a real good batting average.

Hill

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I heard rumor only - need substantiation - this would be a huge move and I need proof

• sir82
    sir82

The speculation is that full-time, supported-by-the-Society COs would be done away with sometime in the next several years.

There would still have to be some sort of intermediary between Bethel and the local congregations, perhaps a local elder who covers only a few congregations, and who is fully responsible for his own living expenses.

Still just rumor at this point, but it certainly fits in with the Society's MO over the past 5 years or so.

• metaspy
    metaspy

The only problem I have with this is the control issue.
    The borg does not like giving up control over anything.
    So I ask, why would they give up direct control over the congregations?
    I understand not being sued, but it seems to be a big loss of power for little gain.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Nothing definite yet, and I was skeptical as well. Then I got a couple of PMs from people that I trust that indicate there will definitely be a big change in the CO arrangement, likely a switch to local super elders taking over occasional congregational visits.

S4

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Stupor Super Elders!!! Ha,haaa, haa!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The only problem I have with this is the control issue.
    The borg does not like giving up control over anything.
    So I ask, why would they give up direct control over the congregations?
    I understand not being sued, but it seems to be a big loss of power for little gain.

Good points, metaspy.

Perhaps they're handpicking the most loyal of the local elders by means of the seminars that are they're attending at the WEC to see who qualifies for the job?

This may turn out to be a genius move.

These guys may turn out to be even more ardent in their support of HQ than the CO's they're replacing.

Many traveling overseers had some negative dealings with the home office that caused them to be somewhat disgruntled and apathetic.

• yknot
    yknot

In theory a great way to keep KHs control is to create a tattle-tale & reward system.

Bro Hounder from KH A is visiting KH G and notices something is amiss, reports it to mother. KH A is sent a 'kudos' letter from mother. KH B wants a kudos letter to and knows that KH A has a bowling team, reports it to mother and receives a letter. The ratfinking escalates and soon the mere gossip of non-conformity can send a visiting hounder brother into a KH for inspection. The BOEs in every KH now make an effort for 'cleanliness" and superior attendance....

Of course this system too can be corrupted just like a CO can be corrupted........ahhh bribery & flatery

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Nvr,

Perhaps they're handpicking the most loyal of the local elders by means of the seminars that are they're attending at the WEC to see who qualifies for the job?

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. I would assume that the "super elder" would likely already be the PO of his own congregation. The problem I see is that noone would be able to check the "super elder". Perhaps they leave the DO arrangement in place which allows them to supervise the regional elder but be one step removed from the congo? Brilliant.

Seeker4 - I too am skeptical. From a liability standpoint, it makes sense to get rid of the full time employed COs since they are the greatest tie from the WTS to the local congregations. But, part of me doesn't believe it because I find it hard to think that the WTS is willing to give up that kind of control. Plus, from a local BOE & r&f point of view, this would be a big negative. Having dealt with some a-hole COs before, the only thing that got me through was remembering that they would be gone in 3 years. Big shot local elders, at least the ones I know, tend to be even bigger a-holes and once they get that sort of power, there is know way they will leave the area.

If the WTS thinks the congreations have problems now, just wait until they don't have an employee checking in on these BOEs. Yikes.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit