my inactive family hates that I researched why the jws are wrong

by sosad 19 Replies latest jw experiences

• sosad
    sosad

they don't want to hear it, they think I am being hurtful having so many books about cults, jws in particular etc etc. I never talk about it but they saw my bookshelves in my office during a recent visit and are besides themselves

they want to know where the anit catholic literature is - (my husband and kids are catholic, i am not)

I stayed jw for years just so that they would have a big sister in their lives, and i carefully faded- for the sake of family - but they are now either dfed, inactive or in the full time service - and one is faded but could care less about the org. Parents are in - solid solid solid

they DO NOT LIKE that my husband is catholic or that I am ok with my kids being raised catholic vs jw

I am so frustrated that they could care less about the truth of the truth - and are now upset with me for believing knowledge is power. I do not talk to them about it - there is no one to talk to - but i feel so alone and isolated from a group of people I changed my life course to help, have sent money too and spent hours on the phone with

they just feel i am a bitter middle aged woman with an axe to grind

i am glad to know there are other people that just want to know

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

Quite typical actually. DF'd ones and guilt ridden inactive ones are often the fiercest and staunchest JW apologists. The same is true of many ex-cult members who have never been properly exited.

• Gopher
    Gopher

You know how the JW's said "the truth (tm) is not for everyone".

It's also true that for ex-JW's, "the truth about the truth is not for everyone". These are Jehovah's Bystanders, not real JW's, not really worldly people, just in that sad no-man's land in between.

• Jenlet
    Jenlet

"they want to know where the anit catholic literature is"

In my own case I am interested in researching the history of the Watchtower Society because I was raised a JW. I am not so interested in the history of the Catholic church, since I was never raised in it. That's not to say that the Catholic church hasn't made mistakes. It's just saying that the mistakes of the Watchtower Society have directly affected me in a way that the mistakes of the Catholic church have not.

Assuming your reasoning is something like mine, you could say, "Well, I was raised a JW, so I am particularly interested in researching the history of that religion. If you're looking to criticize the Catholic church you can talk to my husband - he's Catholic so he should be able to discuss you concerns".

I have a similar family history. I was the first of four kids, and the only one baptised. I find my siblings to be strangely supportive of the religion despite never having done anything about it. I think they have a rosy picture of it since they have never really been hurt by it. I find I have to couch my words around them, maybe even more so than around active JWs.

• carla
    carla

Wanting to know where the anti Catholic lit is? You could tell them that the Catholics are not making your life a living hell at the moment so you do not feel the need to research them.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thumbs up Carla, that's a good reply.

• garybuss
    garybuss
    You could tell them that the Catholics are not making your life a living hell at the moment so you do not feel the need to research them.

That one makes my "Carla comeback" list of keepers. Good one!

• justhuman
    justhuman

Strange attitude for innactive ones???

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Typical of inactive and disfellowshipped ones that might go back. I know one such person who was disfellowshipped in 1991, went back 2 years later, was inactive a couple of years, went back, drifted out, got disfellowshipped again, and then went back. This person is the sort that is too lazy to do his own thinking, drunk on the power that being a witless gives him, or both.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Where's the anti-Catholic literature? Tell them they've got it all on their shelves in the WTS publications! Maybe they'll share a study edition of the WT with you about how christendom's clergy speak worthless and valueless things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit