How was marriage viewed in your congregation?

by Alexia 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

I thought it was pretty ironic that more than half of the congregation had been divorced and remarried. Some of them even while they were Jdubs.... Go freakin' figure. One elder was even disfellowshipped for his divorce because he was the first one to be promiscuous. (I hope I spelled that right) Same elder was disfellowshipped for stealing too. Now he's a P.O......

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

My ex was 18, I was 20. Her sister and husband were both 19. My daughter and her husband were both 19. My buddy was 24 - his bride was 16!

Yeah, the WTS and young marriages. Can't date unless you intend to marry!

What a madhouse they've created!

S4

• whitman
    whitman

I remember that the congregation I grew up in was very strict about dating and marriage. All the girls I knew were well and truly married before they were 20. No one ever dated without the intention of marrying that person. All dates were supervised so there were obviously no private moments. Most people married very quickly and I was under the impression that there were two reasons for that. Firstly, and most obviously, so that you could have sex. Secondly, and I can't find the precise scriptures used to back up this thinking, there was a teaching regarding who can have sexual relations AFTER Armageddon. The way the reasoning was structured was something like this: if you are married in this 'system' and your partner dies before or during armageddon then you are no longer married to that person in paradise and you will not have the opportunity to re-marry in paradise. In fact no one would marry in paradise. Therefore, and I know a lot of people who felt this way - if one didn't marry and have sex before armageddon there was a pretty high chance that you would never ever experience sexual intimacy. No pressure!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit