anyone ever have knee surgery?

by chrisjoel 20 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

All i did was step up my workout from an hour walk to running....i woke up I couldnt stand on my left knee/leg. I postponed goin to have it checked out hoping it would go away.....started hopping around on one leg and finally got it checked out. (Canadian hospitals ..OMG....unbelievalbe...checked in at 2300hrs, doctor looked at me at 10am. 1 doctor for 100 ppl ! What the heck is happening here in canada???) ....anyways. they think i tore cartilege, and have calcium buildup.......im on crutches..brace......and I was wondering if anyone else has had this How long did it take for you to get back to normal?

• Robdar
    Robdar

Ouch! I hope you feel better soon.

Not to worry, surgery and recovery aren't too bad. I tore my miniscus back in 02. The surgery went well and recovery time was only a few days. I barely have a scar.

• mind my own
    mind my own

I didn't tear my cartiledge (sp?) but I hurt both of my knees really badly at the beginning of the year. They swelled up so much I could hardly wear pants and I had trouble walking, going up stairs and even standing. I went to physio for almost 3 hours a week for four months and I have just recently been given the green light to start exercising moderately again. I was pretty scared I needed surgery. They are thankfully much better but certainly not 100%.

Have you seen a physiotherapist? Mine was amazing!

MMO

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel
    tore my miniscus back in 02. The surgery went well and recovery time was only a few days

OMG thanks Rob...makes me feel better........i was 287 pounds..got down to 250 and BOOM this happens..so i am so itching to get bak to normal. Now im looking forward to the surgery if required.to end this pain.....im still in the mindset to lose weight..lol....

• Robdar
    Robdar
    Now im looking forward to the surgery if required.to end this pain.....

Yah, the pain is much worse than the surgery.

Oh, there is one thing I forgot to tell you: After the surgery, you will be able to predict when it is going to rain.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

hi mindmyown...im actually going to see the orthopedist tomorw...when he tells me if surgery is needed ..so no physiotherapy yet.I havent got too much swelling just some on lower right side of knee. But wow 3 hours a week for four months sounds painful..

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I broke my knee playing football. I got an arthroscopy to scrap the meniscus, remove broken cartilage and stip down the ligament. It took an hour, was quite painless, I was driving and hobbling the next day, and jogging in a couple of weeks. I broke it again a couple of years later and had another arthroscopy to remove my cruciate ligament. I was supposed to have a reconstruction, but could never afford the time and money. I can still run fast, but can not sidestep, so cannot play any vigourous sport.

If you have a reconstruction it is supposed to take about 6 weeks in plaster.

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel
    After the surgery, you will be able to predict when it is going to rain

I think i have heard this before...humm...id rather predict lottery numbers ..but rain will do i guess ..lol

• mind my own
    mind my own

Yes it was painful and not a whole lot of fun but that is behind me now...thankfully.

I found out during physio that one of the reasons this happened was b/c my legs muscles were too weak to hold the knee properly so my hips and knees were doing too much work and it was wearing them down. Of course I couldn't work out to strengthen my leg muscles b/c my knees were so bad so it was kind of a catch 22. I was taught a lot of stretches I have to do every day and it really works. I am on the road to recovery. I hope the same for you!

MMO

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

well..i just cant stand just sitting around on my back doing nothing....thanks for the comments much appreciated.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit