Is manipulation responsible for the skyrocketing price of oil?

by nvrgnbk 52 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    You article asserts that the difference in the oil price is due to manipulation.

Due in part to manipulation.

A great deal of manipulation it would appear.

The devaluation of the US dollar that Robdar mentioned is also key.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24
    You reek sympathy for those who may have chosen poorly.

Sad isn't it..and who are we to condemn all people for the choices they make simply because the values we have don't mesh with theirs? I kinow people who lived in the same town as their manufacturing jobs, got married, had a couple of kids, bought a little house and then the factory shut down and moved to Mexico. Husband couldn't get a job nearby but wife got a job at at 7/11 making minimum wage. He finally secured a job about an hour away and took it. The loss of their jobs kept them mired under for years and they had to make a choice between keeping their house and raising their kids in the town where they had some family to support them or declare bankruptcy, pack up the kids and try to find a rental they could afford on the husbands salary. It's not always poor choices - sometimes it's a choice they make for the loved ones in their life, for their future and that in many ways is the most unselfish act of all. sammieswife.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

Is this unworthy? HS

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I thought you were training to become a Catholic, Burn.

Catholics believe in helping the less fortunate, right? Even if they got where they are due to some poor decisions?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Sadly the US is more poorly placed than other nations.

In the UK for years they have been increasing the tax and a gas is very expensive there, This has enouraged design of fuel efficient cars etc and even new raliways etc.

In France > 60% of their energy is derived from nuclear (and they export electricity) and for nearly 3 decades have been building high speed TGV trains powered by electricity. If electric cars became the norm they would be well placed.

In the USA - EVERYTHING -sprawling highways, drive in cinemas, drive through MacDonalds - you name it is geared to the car -and Gas was low cost - so when the crunch came (as it would eventually as oil is not a limitless commodity) the USA was more poorly placed than other advanced nations.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

They rediscovered the largest oil field recently in North Dakota, we have enough energy to supply our needs, but nothing is being done.

The high prices are being allowed, and they will remain high until something is done.

Every excuse the oil companies give has turned out to be a lie.

They want the prices high and they will keep them there.

I hope they discover another type of fossil fuel that can be used in vehicles. Maybe they can find a way to burn clay or dirt and convert it into fuel and we can all give the oil companies the kiss off.

The technology is there for better fuel ratings. Back in the late 80's there were lots of cars that got good mileage.

My 1985 Cadillac Eldorado (8 cylinder) got way better mileage than my 1998 6 cylinder small dodge pickup. The technology is there and has been there for years.

Out of all the cars I have driven, my old cadillac got almost the best mileage.

I had a 1998 chevy sprint 3 cylinder, and my cadillac still did almost as well as that car.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Burn,

Is this unworthy? HS

One might think of evil force of wind is blowing . . .

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Is this unworthy?

HS, NVR

Apparently sarcasm is wasted in these waters.

BTS

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

JG said:

Every excuse the oil companies give has turned out to be a lie.

Could you please elaborate on that statement, preferably with some references to back it up?

Dave

• donkey
    donkey

Hummer? No Bummer!!!! lol....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit