Limiting our potential

by TR 15 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

This is a quote from Pathofthorns on that really long thread with several different topics. I liked it so much that I thought to start a new thread about it.

Instead of "hanging in" for the "end" to come, enjoy doing what you can to change things now in your life for the better. Do what you can and what you need to to be happy, and when the "end" comes, you'll have made the wait so much better in the meantime.
    The Society has oft told us that pursuing activities of charity other than the preaching of the good news(their version only)is a waste of time since it is not leading people to God's organization, and thus to God's kingdom. We are told that we should be serving God for unselfish reasons, not just to get everlasting life. Of course, those of us that became JW's and were not born into the religion joined mainly because of the benefits of serving God(WTS)imho. We are told that if we mainly pursue activities outside of the org., we are not on Jehovah's side, thus doomed to be left out of the blessings of paradise earth, or serving with Christ(if of the 144,000).

My question is; how can God look toward us in disgust if we: 1)love God and have a relationship with him and Christ, 2)love our neighbors as ourselves, 3)do charitable works in accord with Christ's teachings, 4)show other people the benefits of behaving in a Christlike manner. This may include showing proper respect for authorities, obeying laws that don't conflict with the bible, and being honest in all things, being humble and admitting our wrongs.

Those who are Christians or not, can have all of these qualities. Is God really so jealous(as the WTS likes to point out from the O.T.)that he can condemn people to everlasting destruction for not belonging to an often flawed, and imo, deceitful organization? If God really isn't that way, and I don't think he is, why are, or were we so willing to buy it? Is it as simple as conditioning and mind control like in a cult? When I was a JW, I definately was conditioned to avoid anything that was negative toward the WTS. Why is the WTS so bent on dismissing the many good and charitable acts of non-JW's? Is it really the Devil's work to do good, but not in the name of God's supposed org.?

As I look back on my activity as a JW, it was all geared toward making people believe what I believed as a JW. None of the charitable works I did were in the name of God, or the WTS. In fact, I kept secret most of these works of charity that I accomplished, lest it be known that I was working outside the auspices of the WTS, going against God. It was a strange feeling indeed to feel guilt for helping people. Yet, I felt compelled to go against God(WTS) to do these things. Am I just strange, or do any others feel this way?

The bible brings out that there are people of different abilities. Teachers, organizers, helpers, etc. The WTS focuses on teaching others their view of how we should worship God. My focus is on helping others that are in need of immediate help. Physically, emotionally, financially. My expertise is not teaching theology. Am I going against God, or am I handling one of the other responsabilities delegated to non-teachers.

Helping others makes me happy. I'll just have to be satisfied doing that "until the end comes".

TR

Edited by - TR on 11 December 2000 2:40:33

• larc
    larc

I think you have good heart and I think the biggest need is an emotional need.
    Those who leave or want to leave are in dire emotional straights. They need the support of people like your self. If you want to read what I have written go to the humor section of this site, and look up " you might be a witness if" or something like that.
    It is not on the main menue, but can be found by hitting the button at the bottom of the main menue.

Best Wishes,

LARC

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

TR, I know exactly how you feel. Growing up as a JW, I really knew nothing else, but try as I might, it never felt right to me that the only "charitable works" that were acceptable to God revolved around preaching and placing literature.

I would occasionally contribute to charities that I felt were worthwhile, but I'd always feel guilty....and yet still feel that the guilt was unwarranted.

Oddly enough, I've learned that the Society in France has set up a charity to help the needy in Africa. If I understand it correctly, this charity helps not only JW's, but also others in need. If this is correct, then it would seem that the disdain of the world for the Society's uncharitable stance has finally had some effect.

Now that I'm free of the chains of WT bondage, I KNOW that God looks favorably on ALL acts of charity....even if it doesn't involve a WT or AWAKE! magazine.

• TR
    TR

Thanks, larc and Red. Those are great "you know you're a JW ifs".

hey Red,

If it's true that the WTS has set up this charity, it seems they don't want to advertise it, in the US anyway. One would think that there would be info on their website about it. But as we both know, the WTS makes these changes in strange and subtle ways.

TR

• thinker
    thinker

Hi
    I'm new here so let me explain a little about myself:
    I'm not now or have ever been a witness. I married a wonderful woman who was one for nearly 40 yrs. So I wanted to learn everthing I could about them. Done tons of reasearch on the net.
    My wife disassociated in June just before we married. Some of her relatives are highly placd witnesses (elders, bethelites). Her family and witness friends have varying reactions to her leaving and I'm just here to learn more.

On the limited potential question:
    It seems to me that every religion has a primary goal of survival. The witnesses rely heavily on conversions, so that is of major importance. Also, the large amount of time spent studying, and in field service leaves little time for "independent thinking" or reasearch into the history or policies of the WTS.

• TR
    TR

Hi, Thinker, and welcome!

thanks for replying.

I appreciate you taking an interest in your wife's former religion. You must have got an earful!

I think the WTS is starting to rely on more generations of JW's than converts. Too much nasty info about the WTS on the net these days. I think you're right about the independent thinking thing. I was one busy JW myself. Non-JW wife, three kids, ministerial servant, preperations for meetings, field service, etc. Not much time for anything else.

TR

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

Welcome, thinker.

You are correct about the time spent studying and preaching leaving little room for independent thinking.

Additionally, "independent thinking" is a phrase that will literally strike fear into a JW's heart. Those that are accused of independent thinking are on the verge of becoming apostate....which of course is tantamount to being on the road to eternal damnation.

Of course, the only allowable research materials are those quoted in the Watchtower and Awake! magazines. Rather narrow perspective for research, but it "prevents one's mind from being polluted by the philosophies of men" doncha know.

• Martini
    Martini

HI TR,

Strange though isn't it?,how one can see the positive aspects of doing good deeds towards those 'evil-worldlings' and in favor of this wicked system of 'all' things...AFTER one has escaped the wishful thinking of WatchTowerism!

I agree,It sure feels good to be a friend of those in need.

Because technically I'm 'still in' I can in small and concealed ways reach out to those less fortunate 'babylonians'. I am longing to be a 'true' volunteer for the benefit of anyother. I remember belittling the efforts my relatives were making in bringing cheer to people in hospitals simply by visiting them. As if only by hearing the kingdom message could anyone hope to spread 'good news'.

Thinker: I'm glad for your wife that you came along. It sounds to me that you are an understanding person. Former JW's require a gradual integration back into the real world, but do share in her exhileration.

Martini, so much to say so little time.:)

• TR
    TR

Hi Martini,

I guess I'm glad to be one of those "evil worldlings"!

TR

• Helen
    Helen

TR nope its you, you ARE strange....lolol but thats why I love ya!!
    he he kidding..btw thanks for the cyber card, any chance you migh get down this way?...I will be up in the spring and I will buy ya a coffeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit