Sitting on the terraces at Hillsborough / Maine Road eating Hellas bars

by Simon 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

The topic on assembly meals Hot Food at the DCs past...What was it like? made me think of the days sat on the terraces at district conventions. They were originally 4 day affairs but ended up just Friday and the weekend (maybe they are just the weekend now?).

We'd either go to Hillsborough or Maine Road and before all-seater stadiums in the UK you could take deck-chairs and blankets and make a little camp on the terraces.

I remember one year as a kid sat under the metal barriers with a plastic sheet over and the rain puring down and the echoey drone of the PA system sending you to sleep.

If you were lucky you had a couple of bars of that "hellas" (?) chocolate-like stuff (where did they get that? You never saw it in the shops!) and wondered if anyone noticed that the symbol was a little devil character.

It was quite fun as a kid but got progressively more boring and a hassle as time went on.

• ninja
    ninja

a little camp on the terraces?....are you talking about biffidy?....he he

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I remember those 'chocolate' bars well - they had assorted fillings in them and by the end of the convention I remember having tons left over and not wanting to eat them. They only tasted good during the sessions.

I also remember Maine Road well too - as I got older I used to look forward to going for a walk to the toilets which were furthest away and would take most time to get to and from.

Fond memories lol.

Gary

• four candles
    four candles

You used to bite into the minty one,and get it alldown your shirt.

Diamond Blue.........so it was you I was following to the furthest away bogs!! I did exactly the same at maine road. Went there for years.

Were you there when lightening hit the Kippax stand??

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I also remember Maine Road well too

All the apostates with their banners and boards hung out there too

• BFD
    BFD

Ninja, you kill me!!!

BFD

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Is Hellas just and English thing? Must no longer make them. I couldn't find anything in google.

I remember one year as a kid sat under the metal barriers with a plastic sheet over and the rain puring down

I remember when I was a kid the assembly being so crowded that we were not under the stadium bleachers and had umbrella's when it rained.

That was so darn stupid and everything carried on in the rain...

h4o

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Simon,

A few months in Canada and you are already getting nostaligic. Get a grip man! Pretty soon you will be Chair of the Alberta Expatriate British Union Club. ;)

HS

• Gordy
    Gordy

Yeah Simon,

I remember Hillsborough and Maine Road. Sitting on wooden benches or concrete steps.

Then luxury we moved to the MEN arena.

Same boring stuff, but in more comfortable seats. Easier to fall asleep on.

• south african beef
    south african beef

Simon,

We only went to Hillsborough once - being from 'down south', my parents thought it would be a good idea to go to a different assembly.

I remember that my mum wouldn't let my dad drive at more than 60mph so the trip from Sussex took forever.

Also it was at Hillsborough where my brother and I tried to relieve the boredom by guessing how many were in attendance and guess what - I got it right, EXACTLY!

I told my brother that I had special powers and could always tell how many people were at assemblies but that I would sometimes get it wrong so everyone thought I didn't have the power!

Hellas bars - yes good, but only at assemblies for some reason.

Regards

SAB

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit