Suicide story - How many times does this happen.

by Witness 007 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Two here in the past couple years. Don't know the story of the first, but from what I've heard of the 2nd - he was a 20's young man having some problems and felt that he was letting down his otherwise spiritually strong family. This was the only way out he could come up with. Having gone thru the stress of getting myself out, I'm not surprised that people do this. Personally I can deal with giving up some family if I have to, but I know for some people its just too much.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

I don't know if this is one you're referring to in Montanna NYCkid. Some time in the past 6 months there was a man who was getting DF for apostacy, and his wife was really upset. Her parents were missionaries, very hard-core family. So she drove her car into a tree or something. Wasn't officially declared a suicide I don't think, but seems pretty obvious.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

so sad, I am so sorry for those folks. Especially the poor pioneer couple - I remember what it was to be desperately poor as a child, to the point of having no food in the house, and being ignored by the more prosperous members of the congregation who certainly knew what was going on but never helped. This whole thread makes me sad, I think I'll go now.

• delilah
    delilah

There was a young teenaged boy in my mom's KH that hung himself just a few weeks ago, and a young woman who was engaged to be married, killed herself after her fiance took his motorcycle out for one last run before he was going to sell it.....he never made it home. This was not too long ago either, maybe a month or two.

It's really sad.....

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

MissingLink,

Hmm, that sounds similar to the bits and pieces I got from my JW relative, might be the same. It really is so sad that people feel no other recourse than to take ones life.

NYCkid

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

I know of three people who killed themselves.

1. A brudda was travelling on the highway and ran head-on into a semi-trailer truck. He lived through that, but had amnesia and didn't know who his family was. He was a husband father of three children. At first, no one thought he might have tried to do himself in. But a few weeks after his release from hospital, he was found dead in his garage, asphixiated by fumes from running his car in the garage with the door closed. After that, I believed his first attempt with the semi-trailer truck was a first (unsuccessful) attempt.

2. A young brudda fell in love with a young girl at the kingdom hall. He rushed into baptism just so he could marry his dream girl. It seemed like a fairy tale love story, with the girl falling in love with him, too. And they got married at a jw wedding (quite an elaborate wedding), a big all-jw family. No one seemed to know until later that the young brudda was alcoholic. His young wife told the elders on him. He couldn't seem to get over the humiliation and hung himself.

3. A woman who was studying for about two years --- and had a worldly boyfriend. The worldly boyfriend left her and she took an overdose of pills and killed herself. I'm guessing she was torn between two worlds and felt unsupported by either.

4. I felt suicidal at times in dub-dumb. But I got myself therapy instead of doing myself in.

Hugs,

ESTEE

• martinwellborne
    martinwellborne

so sorry to think of these poor folks, i have been through the mill lately after leaving and feeling in a real dark black mood, beginning to feel better now, only through the pills though. MW.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

An elder in North Dakota shot himself in the head. He just finished up a month of pioneering. That was 11 years ago.

I've known three other witnesses who have committed suicide.

• besty
    besty

We know of at least 6 JW's who have done themselves in.

I believe it is difficult to know whether it's more prevalent amongst JW's than the general population as it's not always recorded what religion a suicidee is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit