Suicide story - How many times does this happen.

by Witness 007 18 Replies latest jw experiences

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

A pioneer couple were obviously poor so they shoplifted some meat from the supermarket...they were caught and charged and being a small town everyone would know about it, so they killed themselves before the Elders could organise a linch mob. Sad story.

Another Brother just drove off a cliff....brothers would later say how he must have felt guilty over something...idiots! not nice....he may have been mentally ill or had other issues.

Does this happen alot around the world with Witnesses under so much pressure to be perfect?

• Lady Zombie
    Lady Zombie

I notice you live down in Oz, did these things happen to some of the JWs from your area?

I think it happens quite a bit actually and we don't hear about the majority of the cases because the JWs hush them up. Wouldn't want to put the Org in a bad light, you know!

I tried to commit suicide when I was 14. And yes, it was because of being born and raised in the Borg and all the issues that come with it.

Guilt, fear, isolation, anger, depression, paranoia, hopelessness, herd mentality, stifled potential.....

I wanted to die. Death appeared 1000 times better than life as a JW.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Yes these are local incidents...also a sister from Bethel who left and injured herself working in a supermarket gased herself in her car while the husband was at work...she was very ill with back pain, I feel sorry for her.

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

I can completely understand how this happens! I know I tried to do it...twice!

How can you not when you are made to feel so worthless!

• ninja
    ninja

my mother in law kissed me at my wedding....I don't know what was worse...the moustache or the tongue licking my tonsils.....anyways....I considered ending it all by putting lettuce on my jugular and hailing the guinea pigs

• Alexia
    Alexia

A young woman in my congregation committed suicide a few years ago. No one knew what happened or what was going on in her life. People were stating that she should have been closer to Jehovah or some crap like that. (eye roll)

• megawatt
    megawatt

2 in my area in the last 5 to 8 years, not sure exactly when the first happened, I just remember attending the funeral.

One was a 15 year old and hung himself, parents found him that afternoon in his bedroom. Another just happened this year, cut his wrist (a father and husband) and bled to death in the tub.

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

During my life in the JWs, I know of only 1 suicide and it was sometime in the 80's when they felt it necessary to explain during the funeral to state that Jah hates people who do not respect life and there is no way of knowing if the person will get paradise. Made me want to stick around for that day! Maybe it was not that blunt, but there was an undercurrent of that for sure.

Since my days post-JWs, I have known a-many that have committed suicide. Some thru drug od's (my BF's mom committed suicide thru a sleeping pill/alcohol od because she had racked up debt and was in the process of foreclosure and bankruptcy), some due to on-going health issues that there was no cure for .... so I would say it is not a condition solely to jws. But for those who are not jws, they are far more understanding and supportive of the family and friends left behind.

• milligal
    milligal

My brother committed suicide. He was df'd for demonism, later reinstated but no one would talk to him still, they all thought he was wierd. He was 'diagnosed' post mortem as schizophrenic. Later a family friend killed himself after cheating on his wife and facing disfellowshipment. He actually displayed bipolar tendancies. I became a psych major, pre-law because of all the mental abnormalities I grew up around as a witness.

I think witnesses both empower mentally ill people and then hold them accountable to standards they are unable to meet. Mentally ill people flock to JW's at first because of the acceptance and social rewards and feeling special 'god loves you but he doesn't love everyone else' then when they cannot perform as commanded many of them crumble and suicide is one of the outlets. It's very sad...

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

In a recent conversation with a JW relative, two JW women committed suiced in Western Montana during the past six months or so. The relative did not give any further details. I think one was disfellowshipped but I know she had a history of depression, she was always so sweet though. The other just killed herself out of the blue, no history of depression from what I know. Took her husband by surprise I tried looking up their obituaries in the local newspaper websites but found nothing. Does anyone in the Montana area know the details?

NYCkid

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit