In laws ruin visit again!!!

by 4mylove 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4mylove
    4mylove

So we invite the son that they never get to see, who is as inactive as my hubby. The only conversation MIL could bring up is that a friend of his is in town and with the same wife, but she is doing much better. I asked if she had been ill or something to which I got, "no it's just that she used to dress so sexy, and well you know that she just couldn't or shouldn't do that being a witness."

I of course respond that that seems pretty controlling for a religion to do. She then proceeded to tell me that I wasn't even a witness and dressed better than she, girl in question, used to. I explained that I dress according to the example my mother set for me and that after the age of about 13 I dressed however I damn well pleased. Of course she tried to retract but couldn't.

Later that evening the conversation of our wedding came up and she made the horrible mistake of calling my mother hysterical because she cried at my wedding. Now i don't know if it's the fact that this all happened in spanish, but MY BLOOD BOILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If no one else had been present, just the two of us, violence would have happened. But not wanting to go to jail. I quietly reminded her that she had crossed a line. I explained that my mother was crying because she loves me UNCONDITIONALLY!!! That she cried because of the emotions of the day. That she cried because she loves the man I married. I reminded her that my mother has a bigger heart than anyone sitting at that table that day, and that I would not tolerate her speaking that way of her.

She of course was "no mija, that's not what I meant...." I told her, I don't care what you meant ma'am. But this ends here. I will not tolerate you bringing up my family until you can control yours. You have a son that won't talk to his brothers, and doesn't know if they are alive or dead. You have a son that dreads coming to see you because of the spiritual lecture even when you haven't seem him for years sometimes.

Silence commenced and crickets could be heard in the background. My hubby just sat there an smiled. I guess it's nice that someone finally call her on her shit. One sister in law also just sat there wide eyed, the other is not enough of a hypocrite to say something to me.

I guess I may have over reacted but I do not regret saying what I did. I will not let them walk all over me, but most definately WILL NOT allow them to say one remote thing against my family when all they have been is caring and way too understanding.

Need to go cool off now.

Thanks for reading

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    My hubby just sat there an smiled.

That's understandable. He was bursting with pride.

JWs need to be put in their place regularly.

Good job!

W

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    She of course was "no mija, that's not what I meant...."

In your explanation, you say she called your mother "hysterical." It is not a huge insult,
    so she was trying to get away with something. I believe she was meaning to insult your
    family just as you saw it, but was hoping to be able to later say to her son or anyone else
    who was in the room that you were overreacting. I say that you were clear what she was
    doing, you put her in her place well, this will eleviate many future problems like this.
    Good going.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

You go girl! *thumbs up*

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

"no it's just that she used to dress so sexy, and well you know that she just couldn't or shouldn't do that being a witness."

Oh, yeah...human body is baaaaaaaad.

calling my mother hysterical because she cried at my wedding

Right...so are emotions...

• yknot
    yknot

Weddings are beautiful, crying is expected.

BRAVO to your standing up to the MIL.

BRAVO to your hubby for giving you his support!

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Good for you 4ML!!

• flipper
    flipper

4 MY LOVE- Perhaps your mother in law is so " mind controlled" by the robotic JW cult that she has become a robot with expressing her emotions ! It does happen to some people in that cult. But that was certainly inappropriate of her to condemn your mother calling her " hysterical " for crying at your wedding. Jesus- Most people cry at weddings because they are happy for the couple getting married. I mean- I cried at my own wedding ! It's good you stood your ground and are setting boundaries so over righteous mother in law won't take over your household ! Good job

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Well it sounds like you handled her at least. I'm sorry you had a frustrating encounter but I'm afraid a lot of JWs won't get much better even over time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit