New Member...Mrs. Fiorini

by yknot 17 Replies latest jw friends

• yknot
    yknot

She made her debut on "Keep Yourselves in God's Love: Birthday Thread (http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/159047/2.ashx)

Here is a copy of her brief introduction and comment

Hello Everyone, I have been reading JWD for awhile and enjoying everyone's comments. I decided to sign on today with a comment of my own that I thought some of you might find interesting. After being raised a Witness I left in 1989 when I realized it was not "the truth" after all. After some years of having no religion I joined a Catholic Church and participated in a parish Bible study. At the time we were studying the Psalms and used a book called "Psalms For All Seasons" by John F. Craghan (1993 Liturgical Press) as a resource. Imagine my shock when we read the author's comments about Psalm 19, that it was "originally a pagan hymn honoring the Semitic god El...In its Israelite form the hymn naturally praises the God of Israel." Or his comments on Psalm 29 as follows, "Scholars generally agree that this Psalm was originally a pagan composition extolling the Canaanite god Baal, the weather god who through storms and rains brings fertility to the earth...The heavenly beings in verse 1 were originally the minor gods of the Canaanite pantheon. In appropriating this hymn for her worship, Israel substituted the name of her god Yahweh (translated "the Lord") for that of Baal." (In the New World Translation heavenly beings is translated sons of strong ones.) No one else in the Bible study even thought twice about those statements but I nearly fell out of my chair! I chuckled about it for weeks. Needless to say, any condemnation from the WT about holidays and pagan customs and what God must think of them appears in a whole new light for me now.

Lets give her a warm JWD round of applause for officially joining!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Glad you found this wonderful place, I hope you will come to love everyone here also.

cheers

hope4others

• free2think
    free2think

Welcome to JWD Mrs Fiorini

• changeling
    changeling

Welcome! Great post Mrs. Fiorini!

changeling :)

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Welcome Mrs. Fiorini....

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

Welcome to the board Mrs. Fiorini.

Come out, come out, wherever you are

Paul

• Casper
    Casper

to JWD Mrs Fiorini...

Enjoyed your post, we look forward to getting to know you.

Cas

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

WELCOME to JWD Mrs. Fiorini!!!! I was very impressed with the catholic church quotes. Hmmm, who'd of thunk that the WTS has been so inept for soooo long?

And why??? didn't THEY ever pick up on a simple research item like that? I thought that Freddie Franz was such a HEBREW scholar....

NMG

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Welcome aboard Mrs. Fiorini...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Hi Mrs. Fiorini, great post. Thanks for sharing!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit