Geek News: Samsung develops 256GB solid state drive

by Elsewhere 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

All I have to say is: WOW!

I'd be willing to drop the extra cash needed to get the better performance. This kind of device will finally allow for "instant on" computers to enter the market.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-9952007-64.html

May 26, 2008 2:12 AM PDT
    Report: Samsung develops 256GB solid state drive

CNET sister site ZDNet Korea reports that Samsung announced the development of a 2.5-inch, 256 Gigabyte (GB) solid state drive (SSD) at the fifth annual Samsung Mobile Solution Forum in Taipei.

Typical solid state drives shipping in notebook PCs today have a storage capacity of 64GB.

With a sequential read speed of 200 megabytes per second (MB/s) and sequential write speed of 160MB/s, Samsung is claiming some of the fastest SSD data transfer rates to date.

Like upcoming Intel SSDs, Samsung's drive will use multi-level cell (MLC) technology and a high-speed Serial ATA (SATA) II interface. Later this year, Intel is planning to announce high-capacity SSDs, which select PC vendors are expected to adopt in forthcoming notebook PCs based on the Centrino 2 "Montevina" mobile processor.

Samsung is slated to begin commercial production of the SSD by year end, with customer samples available in September. A 1.8-inch version of the 256GB SSD is expected to be available in the fourth quarter of 2008.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I may just be converting from athiesm, maybe there is a god after all.... ()

Brinjen (of the "geek and proud of it") class

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I just told my hubby and his eyes lit up...yes I'm married to a geek

• Satanus
    Satanus

Cool schtuff. 'Course, the storage capacity is endless. As they go deeper into matter, the more it's emptiness can be used. Inner space is similar to outer space.

S

• VM44
    VM44

A video showing Side-by-side bootups of the Asus Eee PC with a solid state drive and a Everex Cloudbook

Asus Eee PC vs. Everex Cloudbook

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ_66F42JNE

The Asus Eee took less than 30 seconds to boot, while the Everex Cloudbook took over 3 minutes!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

That is incredible. I wonder how long it will be before spinning hard drives go the way of the floppy disk.

As they go deeper into matter, the more it's emptiness can be used. Inner space is similar to outer space.

S, how do you know all that stuff that you know about??

• alexb123
    alexb123

I hate to burst your bubble as good as solid state drives are they cannot take a huge amount of re-writing at the moment. If you are running you OS from it it will write and re-write some date every few seconds. This will mean the drive has a short life.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    I hate to burst your bubble as good as solid state drives are they cannot take a huge amount of re-writing at the moment. If you are running you OS from it it will write and re-write some date every few seconds. This will mean the drive has a short life.

Maybe if SSDs get disco dancing bits they'll last longer. http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

• inkling
    inkling

yeah, well check out this wonder:

alt

64k of RAM, and a Datassette with 200 kilobytes of storage per tape!!!

Ah, the runnaway inflation of geek wowness

(ps... where is my flying car???)

[inkling]

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Hmm, that's too bad. But still, this is the first step, and I'm glad. I just had an HD break down on me. It was destined for recycling, but my friend who worked in a data company let me have it instead.

Everything's more or less okay now, because I went back to using an old one. But it sucks nonetheless...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit