Help - Ask Newspapers To Report On Lawrence Hughes's Hearing This Week

by AndersonsInfo 53 Replies latest watchtower medical

• compound complex
  • fjtoth
    fjtoth

Calgary Dad's Battle Over Blood Transfusions Rejected In Court
    CHQR Newsroom
    6/20/2008

A Calgary man is vowing to appeal after a judge today dismissed most of a wrongful death suit he filed against the Watch Tower Society, its lawyers, and doctors over the death of his daughter.

Lawrence Hughes began the court battle after the death of his teenage daughter Bethany in 2002.

Bethany, a Jehovah's Witness, refused blood transfusions to treat her leukemia.

Her dad Lawrence told the Rutherford Show on QR77 he's not giving up the fight yet.

He says he'll only stop when the Supreme Court turns him down, but even then, he'll continue his battle in the court of public opinion.

In a statement, Bethany's mom says she backs the judge's decision.

Justice Alan Mcleod dismissed all claims against the Watchtower Society, saying that part of the lawsuit was bound to fail.

http://www.am770chqr.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1013116

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

I am disappointed.

I honestly thought they would want to hear about the conflict of interest on the part of the Bethel lawyers.

Perhaps a complaint to the Law Society of Upper Canada about the misleading statements by court appointed officers (lawyers) and essentially lying to the court. The LSUC may also be interested in reviewing the conflict of interest policies governing the profession.

Uzzah

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Alta judge dismisses bulk of lawsuit against Watch Tower Society over girls death
    Published Friday June 20th, 2008

THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY - A Calgary judge has dismissed most of a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the father of a teenage Jehovah's Witness who refused blood transfusions.

Lawrence Hughes alleged that the Watch Tower Society, its lawyers, religious leaders and doctors deliberately misinformed his daughter Bethany about her medical treatment in 2002, and counselled her to refuse transfusions for leukemia.

The court forced her to get them, but she died two months after stopping the transfusions when doctors determined they weren't helping.

Queen's Bench Justice Alan Macleod dismissed most of the lawsuit, including all parts against the Watch Tower Society, saying the claims were bound to fail.

Hughes said he will appeal.

A claim against doctors at the Cross Cancer Clinic in Edmonton, who provided an experimental treatment to Bethany, remains because they didn't request a dismissal.

http://www.canadaeast.com/rss/article/332307

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

The judge dismissed most of the suit on the grounds that the claims were BOUND TO FAIL...hmmmm..don't really know what that means. Were the claims incorrectly framed? Can the claim be amended? or is it already out of time?

Not knowing all the facts, imho the judge may be doing Lawrence a favour here. Hopefully Lawrence had legal advice when the claim was initially drafted...not sure what his remedies are at this point...EXPERT legal assistance is what he needs, imho. Not sure if it's not already too late...but in my own experience with the law, it is a minefield...TOP EXPERTS is what you need.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

That's sad. Rather than pursuing the case, maybe he ought to quickly write a book about the situation and get it published and then spend his time promoting it so the public can continue to hear about the issue. Something along the lines of "Child Sacrifice Still Exists - Stone Age religion refuses modern medical treatments."

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

CBC News

Alta judge dismisses bulk of lawsuit against Watch Tower Society over girl’s death

Published: Friday, June 20, 2008 | 4:38 PM ET
    Canadian Press: Bill Graveland, THE CANADIAN PRESS

CALGARY - Provisions of a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the grieving father of a Jehovah's Witness girl were largely dismissed by a judge Friday.

Lawrence Hughes alleged that the Watch Tower Society, its lawyers, religious leaders and doctors deliberately misinformed his daughter Bethany about her medical treatment in 2002, and counselled her to refuse transfusions necessary to treat her leukemia. She died almost six years ago.

"It is my belief that the claims are bound to fail," said Justice Alan Macleod of the Alberta Court of Queen's Bench.

Macleod urged Hughes to get a lawyer and to carefully consider his options if he is to continue with the only part of the lawsuit that still stands - against two doctors at the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton where his daughter received an experimental treatment just before she died. Macleod said he couldn't throw out the case against the doctors because they didn't request a summary dismissal.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe it's wrong to accept transfusions because of certain passages of the Bible forbidding the ingestion of blood.

Bethany Hughes did receive blood treatment in 2002 against her will after an Alberta court ruled she was pressured by her religion and didn't have a free, informed opinion.

The Alberta government won temporary custody of her and she was given 38 transfusions, although she tried to pull the medical tubes from her arms while she was bedridden at Alberta Children's Hospital in Calgary. She died in September of that year.

Hughes was shunned from the church after he rejected its teachings about blood transfusions and agreed that Bethany should undergo transfusions along with chemotherapy. He and his wife Arliss are now divorced.

He commenced his wrongful death suit in 2004 after a court approved him as administrator of the estate.

"It is a sad day for justice, it is a sad day for Jehovah's Witness children, it is a sad day for mankind," Hughes told reporters immediately after the ruling.

"This is a classic example of a judge protecting doctors and protecting lawyers."

Hughes said he intends to appeal the ruling but admitted he may not be able to afford a lawyer.

"To get a law firm to represent me is going to cost a suitcase full of money, so I'm hoping there is a lawyer in town that would be willing to help me out."

Lawyer David Gnam, who represents the Watch Tower Society and was named in the lawsuit, seemed relieved the case is over. He said Hughes should let the matter rest.

"Justice Macleod very reasonably was telling Mr. Hughes to get a lawyer, think about what the repercussions of continuing this are - particularly in terms of costs and court time - and what you are really aiming at," said Gnam.

"Mr. Hughes has been on national television and in front of Osgoode Hall Law Society saying I murdered his daughter. I do not appreciate those comments because they are obviously untrue."

The Watch Tower Society will seek to have Hughes pay its court costs, he said.

Bethany's mother released a statement following Friday's ruling.

"Throughout my daughter's six-month battle with leukemia in 2002, I supported her own medical treatment choices as an intelligent, mature 16-year-old," said Arliss Hughes.

"Justice Macleod's ruling dismissing Lawrence Hughes's hurtful allegations is most appreciated.

"I deeply miss Bethany's smile, sense of humour and joy in life. She is sadly missed by me, her sisters and all who knew her."

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/national/080620/n062089A.html

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

Calgary dad's bid to sue church blocked

Blamed Jehovah's Witness church in daughter's death

Michelle Lang, Canwest News Service

Published: Friday, June 20, 2008

CALGARY - A Calgary man has suffered a major legal setback in his bid to sue the Jehovah's Witness church and its lawyers over the death of his daughter, who fought against blood transfusions to treat her leukemia.

On Friday, Alberta Court of Queen's Bench Justice Alan Macleod dismissed most of the claims in Lawrence Hughes' wrongful death lawsuit, which alleged the defendants gave his teenage daughter, Bethany Hughes, misinformation about her medical treatment.

The judge ruled the majority of Hughes' case, including allegations against lawyers Shane Brady and David Gnam and the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Canada, had little chance of success.

"I hope Mr. Hughes will reflect carefully on this whole thing and if he does (proceed with the case), I hope he gets a lawyer," the judge said.

Hughes, who represented himself in the proceedings, vowed to continue his legal fight. He added he is looking for a lawyer willing to take on the case.

"I'll definitely appeal," said Hughes, standing outside of court in Calgary.

"I believe Bethany didn't stand a chance. She was under tremendous pressure (not to take blood transfusions)."

Bethany died of acute myeloid leukemia in September 2002 - despite 80 blood transfusions and other treatments for her cancer.

A court order mandated the transfusions after she refused them because they were contrary to her Jehovah's Witness faith.

Bethany - who used the name Mia in the media to protect her identity - fought the protection order, claiming it was her right as a mature person to make her own medical decisions.

Bethany even tried to pull the medical tubes from her arms while bedridden at Alberta Children's Hospital.

Doctors who first determined she would die without transfusions eventually decided that she was too sick to face further chemotherapy sessions and gave up their custody of Bethany.

Hughes later launched a lawsuit against the Watch Tower society and Bethany's lawyers as well as some of the physicians involved with her care.

Among the allegations in the lawsuit, Hughes claimed the lawyers, whose major client is the Watch Tower society, were in a conflict of interest and misrepresented information about treatments for her disease.

Gnam said he was pleased the claim against him was dismissed and said he will seek costs in the case.

Arliss Hughes, Bethany's mother, released a statement Friday saying the ruling is "most appreciated."

Bethany's illness did more than claim her life - it also tore her family apart and bankrupted her father.

All members of the family had been Jehovah's Witnesses for nearly 20 years and were opposed to receiving blood products when Bethany was diagnosed with leukemia in February 2002.

But Lawrence Hughes changed his mind after discussions with doctors and fought to have his daughter receive what he believed was the best medical care.

"There is no question that Bethany's illness led Mr. Hughes to seriously question and ultimately reject the teaching of his and his family's religion, and that he paid a high price for that moral and religious decision, including the shunning by the Jehovah Witness congregation and alienation from his wife and children," Court of Queen's Bench Justice Rosemary Nation wrote in her 2003 divorce settlement decision.

"You'd think the religious belief would provide comfort to a husband and wife whose child was stricken with a life-threatening illness and guide the family throughout the crisis," said Calgary lawyer Vaughn Marshall, who assisted Lawrence Hughes in the divorce proceedings.

"But, in this case, it not only failed to do that, it destroyed the family. First, Lawrence Hughes lost his daughter, then his family."

Lawrence Hughes testified during the trial he incurred more than $200,000 in legal fees and paid $20,000 of it out of his own pocket, pushing him into bankruptcy.

© Calgary Herald 2008

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=670174aa-de0c-4856-9280-f4fe88016d2a

• TooOpinionated
  • nameless_one
    nameless_one

"The Watch Tower Society will seek to have Hughes pay its court costs."

Talk about twisting the knife, yikes.

This is a terrible outcome, I am sad to see this :-(

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit