Changes in Elder arrangement?

by metatron 19 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

There are continuing rumors about changes that are going to be made in the elder arrangement. While these are still only rumors, I wish

to repeat that the Society must be under pressure to make legally motivated changes to the elder structure.

First, the appointment of elders seems to be much more direct than the appointment of most priests or pastors in common religions.

That might be a problem leading directly to the Governing Body.

More than that, there is a clearly defined hierarchy going up from local elders thru the C.O. all the way to the Governing Body - and

this is a risk in regard to future lawsuits. The Society has even acknowledged this "hierarchy" in regard to other legal disputes, such as

those involving property, so the matter is established.

I note that the rumors of changing the P.O. or reducing/eliminating the C.O. would fit into this matter, as to trying to break the chain of

command. Anyway it turns out, local control is reduced.

metatron

• Gopher
    Gopher

If the WTS is trying to reduce its liability in regards to what happens at the local level, and if it really does " break the chain of command " by eliminating the C.O., wouldn't that increase the amount of local control rather than reduce it? What do you think?

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

On paper, it would be reduced.

They still will get rid of people who don't do what they want.

• loosie
    loosie
    increase the amount of local control rather than reduce it?

Yes it would increase local control. but it would lessen the chain of command back to the wt society. so if the local pedo elder gets sued the congo doens't own anything only wt society in ny does.

Its genius.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

As the British would say...."This is a sticky wickett" for the BORG....

It's unclear how this would work out. If the Gibbering Boobies sever their connection to the appointment of and direction given to the local bodies of elders how are they going to explain the fact that elders are appointed by HS through the FD&S??????????? If the local congregations decide who will be their elders, HS is out the window.

They really are a pathetic, greedy, power-hungry bunch............IMHO

• loosie
    loosie

Alpaca, can't they say HS worked directly on the BOE to appoint bro so and so. Apprantly the HS likes Pedos.

• flipper
    flipper

METATRON- In my opinion, the Watchtower society is going to do what is financially expedient for themselves first - even at the expense of throwing the elder arrangement under the bus. Look how they already are trying to hang the elders out to dry in regards to NOT supporting them in child abuse lawsuit cases. Making them call from anonymous phone booths and such - trying to save face by distancing themselves from abuse cases happening in the local congregations ! I have read reports already- as in the Gilbert Simental case here in California - that the Watchtower society had no comment on the proceedings of finding him guilty !

So - I believe, yes, they are running scared, and if what you are hearing through the grapevine is true - it would not surprise me at all to see the Watchtower society try to legally distance themselves from the elders and let them deal with the pedophiles themselves ! Remember- in JW land everything is about outside appearance to the rank and file, and the public ! It's not about how pure they are, on the inside ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

If there are changes you can bet it's for legal reasons. Of course, the official spin will be to get closer to the model of the first century congregations and everyone will buy it. Imagine if they went back to having local elections?! I believe they did it that way some 50 plus years ago. There would be one or two I'd be more than happy to unceremoniously boot out!

Mickey.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

It is all about liability. Legal, not Holy Spirit, is guiding The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. The Governing Body listens to legal, as to whether they still use the two thirds vote behind closed doors, is any body's guess.

Blueblades

• RR
    RR

What the Society needs to do is go back to basics, as in the days of Russell and allow each congregation to nominate and elect their own elders and servants based on 1 Timothy 3. While this MAY result in nepotism, if the members of the congregation are truly spiritually-minded, having not only theirs but the spiritual best interest of the whole congregation, nepotism can and will be avoided.

Among the Bible Students, elders, deacons and others officers were elected by the raising of the hand, one was nominated, and seconded, added to a list, the following step usually a week later, the names were put forth and each member of teh congregation voted, a majority vote of 75% would be the person elected for ONE year and the process is repeated yearly.

A reading on various scriptures on the qualifications of elders were read and discussed.

RR

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit