Did God really warn mankind before the Flood of Noah?

by moshe 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• moshe
    moshe

JW's think they are doing a work just like Noah did before the Flood. They say that Noah's witness lasted for 40 years. Well, I just don't see it. Other than a few traders who moved around, I doubt that most tribal people would be able to safely travel to see Noah's work in progress. Remember man had become evil and lawless by then, according to the Bible. It seems to me that, if you take the Bible at face value then anybody living on another continent or island was snuffed out with no warning from God. The WT org might have had other reasons for pushing JW's into the D-door work-right?.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I wonder if Noah did the "slow Pioneer walk" for 40 years......Noah: "the next hut is 40 miles away, Jehovah God damn it!"

• marmot
    marmot

I've been told by my pioneer gilead graduate uncle that Noah didn't have to do any preaching work. He says Jehovah "saw that the whole earth was wicked except for him" so there was no necessity to preach.

Sick, twisted reasoning.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    It seems to me that, if you take the Bible at face value then anybody living on another continent or island was snuffed out with no warning from God

First the bible is not to be taking at face value, there are so many things wrong with the flood story that it is a topic in itself but if you want a JW answer well they will probably say that the earth was different back then, it was one big continent and that the garden of Eden was still there for every one to see with the angel guarding it so there was no excuse for the people of the day.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I used tp consider this question, in the days when I tried to reconcile all the teachings of the Borg..I used to deliver the public talk about The Flood. I "discovered" that there must have been a world of many ten of thousands, minimum, based on the time elapsed from Adam.

How could one man and 3 sons and daughters in law have effectively preached to them all in between building The Ark?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

The WTS and those of its ilk build a mountain of evidently's and apparently's off of Peter's description of Noah as being a "preacher of righteousness" (2 Pet 2:5). But there's nothing whatsoever in the Genesis account that supports the idea of a Worldwide Preaching Work™ that took place before the flood came.

The following is taken from an article in Good News magazine that seems so Watchtowerish in its presentation and content that you have to wonder if the writer used a WT article as his model. Note the use of the words "likely" and "surely" - LOL

As the crowds gathered to observe this landlocked monstrosity, they likely jeered, perhaps asking, "What's your problem, Noah? Why do you need such a giant boat? And how are you ever going to get this thing to the water?" He surely told them, as God does not bring such judgment as was coming without revealing it through His servants. But the onlookers refused to believe.

• Switch
    Switch

I'm amazed at the different opinions among active JW's. There obviously isn't unity in how they perceive Noah's day. My mom just told me last week that the people weren't all bad in Noah's day. I disagreed and reminded her that the scriptures brought out that their thoughts were bad all of the time and God felt regrets over having made man. Would he have had regrets if just some of them were bad? I think the WT pushes the scenario that they were going about their normal lives and just didn't heed Noah's warning. But the scriptures state that he had already decided to wipe man off the earth and preserve Noah and his family, so what would be the point of warning them if they were already condemned?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

You'd think it would have been more efficient and fair if God had come down and shown himself to each individual, laid out the facts of the situation, and told them to choose based on an informed decision. But perhaps it was more important to test Noah's faith than to potentially save lives.

If they were all 'wicked', they could have been killed on the spot; no need for a costly global flood. If you had a bunch of annoying mosquitos in your living room, and you had the means to kill them all in an instant, would you then rather have put an explosive charge in your ceiling so that the contents of the pool upstairs fell down and filled the living room with water? "But without a flood their bodies would have just laid there and smelled and caused deceases etc." Yes, but a global flood doesn't really solve that problem either, because when the waters receded, bloated corpses would have laid to rest all over the place anyway. "But God could just have miraculously removed the dead bodies". Yes, and therefore he could also instead have miraculously removed them while they were alive instead of drowning them, a process that must have been quite a horrific event, watching everyone you love be swept away, perhaps unable to swim, or perhaps floating for days before death finally came. But - Noah must have become one heck of a carpenter by the end of the ordeal, so something good came out of it I suppose. Perhaps he put it to good use and made some coffins.

As for population, at least according to JW mythology, there should have been a great deal of people by that time. Remember that they were supposedly "closer to perfection", and so birth rates, survival rates and also lifespans should be much higher than today (life spans are directly said to have been higher because of this). And today, the world's population has increased by approx. 4 billion people in the last 50 years, even though we are "very far from perfection".

Now of course - mankind supposedly didn't disperse until some time after the global flood, because of what happened at the tower of Babel. They chose to live in a huge city "on top of" each other. And so - since this didn't happen until after the flood - they must have lived in close proximity to each other also before the flood. The fact that increasing population + finite space = automatic dispersion from that space does not seem to be a factor in the story.

• Farkel
    Farkel

:Did God really warn mankind before the Flood of Noah?

No. Genesis is crystal clear about that. It states God made up his mind that the entire planet was full of wicked people and he was going to kill them all. That being the case, there was no one worth warning.

Paul calls Noah a "preacher of righteousness", but then again Paul made up a LOT of shit.

Farkel

• free2beme
    free2beme

I would say the myth tells of a localized warning, in that people in the town might have wondered and asked questions. At the same time, I did not hear or read one story of them inviting anyone in to the ARK that was not family.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit