men kept for unnatural purposes?

by gotime 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Indo_Dude
    Indo_Dude
    Nark wrote:

The Greek word malakoi is generally understood as applying to the younger partners in Greek "homosexual" relationships. But the NWoverTranslation introduces entirely foreign notions into it (such as "kept," "unnatural"). Etymologically the word simply means "soft," "sweet" or "delicate".

Actually saying that 'malakoi' means the younger partner in a relationship is simply a guess. There is no evidence to back that claim up.

In fact Clemant of Alexandria in the 2nd century said that adorning oneself in decor makes women prostitutes, and men effeminate and adulterous. Essentially, if anything 'malakoi' has far more connection with heterosexuals or eunuchs than it does with any homosexuality or pedastry.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

I do believe the bible was talking about Ryan Seacrest

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

The general trend of the translations indicates some type of male temple prostitute.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

It's talking about men who willingly maintain the pool area. Nobody is allowed to keep a pool guy. We all know what that leads to.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

IndoDude,

You're quite right, the evidence is scarce, because such an usage of the word is not clearly attested anywhere else, and the immediate context (a list of "bad" things of many different kinds) is semantically weak. Btw, the only other NT use of the word (Matthew 11:8; Luke 7:25) points to luxury and sophisticated lifestyle (nothing explicitly sexual)...

• Undecided
    Undecided

If you're like most religions, you just make it mean whatever you think it should mean. I think screwing someone's butt is unnatural, at least it was when it was done to me when I was a young boy.

Ken P.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That has always been a sticking point with me about the witlesses. They claim it's the same as "men who lie with men", but it cannot possibly be. Otherwise why would the writer waste the time to put two identical articles as separate points? I thought it meant that men who were kept for unnatural purposes, as in being held against their will for said purposes.

One of those purposes is being kept for the Value Destroyer Training School. Such men are being kept single so they can join that school, which is totally unnatural. Of course, it doesn't say anywhere that Jehovah Himself cannot be keeping me for unnatural purposes such as the Value Destroyer Training School and still have me fit that designation.

All said, it is a waste of my time to continue as a Jehovah's Witless knowing I am going to get destroyed under this clause.

• aligot ripounsous
    aligot ripounsous

I read somewhere that it could refer to young men being kept by old lustful women that is, gigolos. It would tally with the phrase being different, in the text, from the previous one about homosexuals but you can hardly say that such purposes are unnatural.

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

I'm not afraid to say it--homosexuals.

Flame away....

• BFD
    BFD

I always thought it had to do more with pederasty which of course is different from homosexuality.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit