Why I became an atheist.

by IP_SEC 29 Replies latest social humour

• Terry
    Terry

Here is a somewhat ludicrous question....

Since Early Christians were regarded as "atheists" by the Romans (after all, they didn't believe in Roman gods!), is denying somebody else's beliefs__in itself___rude and antisocial? Or, is it rude and antisocial for people to pray for you to their (disbelieved by you) God in defiance of your wishes?

The reason I ask is this. It really pisses me off when people tell me they are going to pray for me. It is an outright invalidation of my express wishes. That simply seems rude to me.

What's your view?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Doesnt bother me one bit Terry. They have not harmed me even if they were to pray for me to go to hell.

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon
    Or, is it rude and antisocial for people to pray for you to their (disbelieved by you) God in defiance of your wishes?

The reason I ask is this. It really pisses me off when people tell me they are going to pray for me. It is an outright invalidation of my express wishes. That simply seems rude to me.

What's your view?

As Thomas Jefferson said about another subject "It neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket". If all they want to do is pray it seems harmless enough.

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

Yes, I hate it when people say they are going to pray for me. It's so condescending. It's similar to when Mormons seek out your birth records, and those of your ancestors and consecrate them as Mormons post mordem. That is the height of disrespect in my opinion.

As far as 'becoming an atheist," I really don't like to put it that way. Atheism is not something you become, as if it were a religion or a choice. In my opinion, atheism is just the default position, in the absence of evidence or proof. In other words, if you don't know for certain, via strong evidence or proof, that a blob exists, you have no business believing in the blob. If you believe in the blob without sufficient evidence that just makes you an idiot.

The only other rational response to a lack of evidence is posibly agnostic. But, I cannot identify with any of the definitions I have heard for agnosticism (one reason is that the definitions for agnosticism are as varied as the people who claim to be agnostic) because agnostics entertain the idea that god (the blob) might exist in spite of there being no evidence of its existence. My current stance is that I simply do not believe in the blob. It's not that I have disconfirming evidence of the blob, I simply lack any belief in god because there is not a scrap of evidence suggesting such a creature. I do not believe in god (the blob) end of story.

The blob could be proven to exist, and that is another point at which I diverge from agnosticism. It would be a very simple thing for the blob to prove its existence. It could be done in an infinite amount of different ways, and all debate would stop if it were done correctly. In such a scenario disbelief in god would be like the flat earth theory, nearly everyone on the planet would stop being atheist instantly.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I try not to worry or get frustrated about stuff like that, they will probably pray whether you know about it or not. And if you tell them

not to, then mostly likely they will pray even harder because they think you really need help then.

cheers

hope4others

• Mariusuk.
    Mariusuk.

I used to believe in God, he was a big part of my life

Then I grew up

• free2think
    free2think
    ahh thanks freety, that makes it extra nice

Well in that case you're welcome IP

• bisous
    bisous

Mariusuk, it was a little different for me.

I used to believe in god, and then I woke up.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Ongoing joke among nurses about spelling: *NURSES UNTIE!* (It's supposed to be unite!)

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Terry mostly everyone in my family is religious or believes in God. During my illness and my husband's illness everyone says we'll be praying for you. Than they say "OH! I forgot! But, I'm going to pray for you anyway!" I guess it's their way of saying that they care. On the otherhand, I'm having a hard time figuring out what to say to people that are dealing with adversity!

*Um, good luck with that?*

*It'll work out!?*

*Stay strong!*

*I wish you well?* (bought the same as saying "I'll pray for you")

What do you say to people that are suffering that doesn't include some type of supernatural sentiment?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit