Where does the society come up with this?

by mkr32208 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I keep hearing that Adam was 30... How the $#^%^ do THEY know? More celebrated scholars work that out for them?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Where is Buttlight's avatar when we need it?

• owenfieldreams
    owenfieldreams

where do you keep 'hearing' this from?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    I keep hearing that Adam was 30... How the $#^%^ do THEY know? More celebrated scholars work that out for them?

I believe that +- 30 years to account for Adams probable age was used as a cop-out as a possible explanation for why one of the false end of world prophesies didn't work. Just a vague recollection, though. How do they know stake not cross? How do they know that scriptures that don't say anything about life-saving medical procedures mean you need to die? How do they know sucking your husbands cock is wrong? A little birdie told them.

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I just never got it. I mean how do then know he wasn't 70 or 340 or 68 or 9,000,000? I know that they can sort of work backwards from that "days of adams life being 900 and change" but maybe that's from the year he ate the fruit!?

• DazedAndConfused
    DazedAndConfused

To me this a perfect example of what is wrong with the 'society.'

The Bible, if you believe in it, clearly states that no one knows the day or the hour. If that is the case, then why the hell would anyone even consider trying to figure out the timeframe between Adam being created and then Eve's creation?

Does not compute.

• yknot
    yknot

What WT pub was this in?......

Can some one post a citation.

I mean I understand the ideology behind the thought....Jesus was about 30 when baptized.....so why not say the same for Adam.

But wasn't Adam formed as a grown man? Woman (later named Eve) was certainly formed as an adult.

Can someone help a dear sister out?

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

I beleive I'd heard that it correlates with Jesus being 30 when he got dunked...you know a perfect guy replacing a perfect guy...the "New" & improved Adam or some such crap. They sit around and speculate and then expect everyone to just swallow their garbage with no proof.

Then again, maybe he had some sort of Paradise I.D. card. I remember the pic in the old Paradise Lost book with the guardian angel at the edge of Pair-o-dice kicking their sorry asses out...He probably said, "ok you two let's see some ID...we gotta call from headquarters about a couple fitting your description who are wanted for pilfering fruit...yep just as I thought...get the hell outa here and don't let me see you trying to sneak back in."

AND...why isn't there a whole chapter about A & E trying to get back in and get some of that life-saving fruit. I can see it now...."PARADISE BREAK-IN"....now showing on FOX. One lousy cherub with a flaming sword at one spot...come on...they coulda snuck around the backside...maybe got some reeds and swam under water up to a spot where they could get out undetected. Didn't this dude live to just under 1,000 years and there's NO reference to him ever trying to get back in...Hell, I'd be like Wiley Coyote trying every trick in the book.

Maybe an episode where Eve trys to seduce the flaming sword guy while Adam sneaks in... or maybe they commandeer a raging elephant and try to crash the gate...sorry it's early and I'm rambling ...again.

-BONEZZ

• sir82
    sir82

I think it may have been explicitly stated, or at least strongly implied, in the old Aid to Bible Understanding book.

Per Genesis 5:3, Adam was 130 years old at the time of Seth's birth. The assumption was that he was born just after Abel died. There was another assumption (based on some old Jewish tradition perhaps?) that Cain was 100 years old when he killed Abel. Thus, the thinking goes, Adam was 30 years old when his firstborn son (Cain) was born.

So, the thinking went, Adam hung around in the garden of Eden by himself for 29 or 30 years, then Eve was created, and within a few weeks or months, there was the whole snake-in-the-tree scene. And immediately thereafter, Adam & Eve "got down to business" and produced Cain.

This is, of course, all Bible-based.

• chickpea
    chickpea

amazing what one can whip out of one's @ss when that is where one keeps one's head....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit