are you guys coping wit the cost of living?

by The Lone Ranger 25 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

The number of people living in tent cities is increasing steadily - and of course now there are parking lots that allow folks to sleep in their cars - I don't think it's going to get better real soon..

SANTA BARBARA, California (CNN) -- Barbara Harvey climbs into the back of her small Honda sport utility vehicle and snuggles with her two golden retrievers, her head nestled on a pillow propped against the driver's seat.

Californian Barbara Harvey says she is forced to sleep in her car with her dogs after losing her job earlier this year.

A former loan processor, the 67-year-old mother of three grown children said she never thought she'd spend her golden years sleeping in her car in a parking lot.

"This is my bed, my dogs," she said. "This is my life in this car right now."

Harvey was forced into homelessness this year after being laid off. She said that three-quarters of her income went to paying rent in Santa Barbara, where the median house in the scenic oceanfront city costs more than $1 million. She lost her condo two months ago and had little savings as backup.

"It went to hell in a handbasket," she said. "I didn't think this would happen to me. It's just something that I don't think that people think is going to happen to them, is what it amounts to. It happens very quickly, too."

Harvey now works part time for $8 an hour, and she draws Social Security to help make ends meet. But she still cannot afford an apartment, and so every night she pulls into a gated parking lot to sleep in her car,along with other women who find themselves in a similar predicament. Watch women who live in their cars »

There are 12 parking lots across Santa Barbara that have been set up to accommodate the growing middle-class homelessness. These lots are believed to be part of the first program of its kind in the United States, according to organizers.

The lots open at 7 p.m. and close at 7 a.m. and are run by New Beginnings Counseling Center, a homeless outreach organization.

It is illegal for people in California to sleep in their cars on streets. New Beginnings worked with the city to allow the parking lots as a safe place for the homeless to sleep in their vehicles without being harassed by people on the streets or ticketed by police.

Harvey stays at the city's only parking lot for women. "This is very safe, and that's why I feel very comfortable," she said.

Nancy Kapp, the New Beginnings parking lot coordinator, said the group began seeing a need for the lots in recent months as California's foreclosure crisis hit the city hard. She said a growing number of senior citizens, women and lower- and middle-class families live on the streets. See how foreclosure filings are up 75 percent »

"You look around today, and there are so many," said Kapp, who was homeless with her young daughter two decades ago. "I see women sleeping on benches. It's heartbreaking."

Don't Miss

She added, "The way the economy is going, it's just amazing the people that are becoming homeless. It's hit the middle class."

She and others with New Beginnings walk the streets looking for people and families sleeping in their cars. The workers inform them about the parking lot program.

New Beginnings screens people to make sure they won't cause trouble. No alcohol or drugs are allowed in the parking lots.

"What we are trying to do is we pull bad apples out, and we put good apples in the parking lots and really help people out," said Shaw Tolley, another coordinator with New Beginnings.

Most of the time, the lots are transition points. New Beginnings works with each person to try to find a more permanent housing solution.

"It saddens me when they live in their vehicles," Tolley said. "It is not the most ideal situation for senior citizens and families, but it is reality."

He added, "We need to engage this problem. This is reality."

John Quigley, an economics professor at the University of California-Berkeley, said the California housing crisis has left many middle-class families temporarily homeless or forced them to go to food banks to feed their families.

"Part of the reason why it's so painful in Santa Barbara is, there's so little in the way of alternative housing," Quigley said. "If there were alternative low and moderate housing and rental accommodations that were reasonably close by, you can imagine it wouldn't have this desperate look to it as people living in their cars."

At the only lot for women in Santa Barbara, it's a tough existence. There are no showers or running water. On the night CNN visited, a half-dozen women were in the parking lot before nightfall.

Linn Labou, 54, lives in her car with four cats. She used to be in the National Guard and is on a waiting list for government housing, but the wait is a year long.

"I went looking for family, but I couldn't get them to help me," she said.

As for Harvey, she begins each day by walking her two dogs before going to her part-time job. She leaves the dogs in her car with its windows cracked while she works.

It's another chapter in her life that she's certain she'll get through. Her 19-year-old daughter moved in with friends to avoid being homeless. Her other children live overseas, and she didn't want to tell them about her living status.

Even if her children offered to help, she said, she wouldn't accept it. "They know me well enough to know that I will get through this."

"My daughter especially is very unhappy. Sometimes she'll cry, and she'll call and say, 'Mom, I just can't stand it that you are living in a car,' " Harvey said. "I'll say, 'You know what? This is OK for right now, because I'm safe, I'm healthy, the dogs are doing OK, and I have a job, and things will get better.' " E-mail to a friend E-mail to a friend

Share this on:
    Mixx Digg Facebook del.icio.us reddit StumbleUpon Myspace | Mixx it | Share
  • nelly136
    nelly136

i now buy bootleg(duty free) baccy and the tax i'm saving on the price of fags more than offsets the extra on the diesel.

over here its the staples and everyday food that are going up,i've shopped own (cheapest) brands in supermarkets for years and i'm noticing that it costs at least a 3rd if not more than it did a short few months back.

I've started buying the odd extra bag of flour and yeast, rice and oil when i can, a 3 litre bottle of cheap vegetable oil has jumped from £1.69 to £2.98 which is the same price as sunflower oil in the past month or so. who knows it may have gone up again by the time i go shopping next week.

i watch prices each time i shop,from experience i know that the supermarkets are deliberately careless with making their prices and multibuys bogofs and offers on their shelves match the price you end up paying on your receipt.

Theyre also pretty careless and put a large amount of dearer items over the cheaper item price labels. multiply a few excess pence a week by a year and it all adds up. So i scrutinise every receipt before i leave the store.

Whereas you could once buy the large or multipacks knowing that it was cheaper (and the supermarkets have spent years training consumers that bigger is cheaper), i now do the maths on the large versus smaller packs because the supermarkets are being sneaky with their bulkier products and you can save a fortune buying the smaller packs on quite a few items these days.

i watch the weight on the packets too, cos some things look cheap but lb for lb work out a whole lot dearer. so i always look for the drained weight on tins jars etc

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

over here its the staples and everyday food that are going up,i've shopped own (cheapest) brands in supermarkets for years and i'm noticing that it costs at least a 3rd if not more than it did a short few months back.

I've started buying the odd extra bag of flour and yeast, rice and oil when i can, a 3 litre bottle of cheap vegetable oil has jumped from £1.69 to £2.98 which is the same price as sunflower oil in the past month or so. who knows it may have gone up again by the time i go shopping next week.

i watch prices each time i shop,from experience i know that the supermarkets are deliberately careless with making their prices and multibuys bogofs and offers on their shelves mis-match the price you end up paying on your receipt.

Theyre also pretty careless and put a large amount of dearer items over the cheaper item price labels. multiply a few excess pence a week by a year and it all adds up. So i scrutinise every receipt before i leave the store.

Same here as well. Staples have risen a great deal and sad to say, that many average people who used to buy organic or free range, are now switching back to the cheapest brands of food. I saw eggs at $4.57 for a dozen this past week and people are waiting and hitting the discount food or bulk food places to get them for half that. Coffee is taking a hit as well. The 12 oz bag that I would like to buy rose from $6.99 2 months ago to $10.59 in the store yesterday - needless to say I will wait. As for the receipts - I try to watch the items as they are rung in and in at least half the time, the pricing hasn't rang in at the lower price and it has to be corrected. One day we got hit 3 separate times with errors - the very last time we had actually got out to the parking lot and I realized that they had double charged for the laundry soap, so right back in, stand in line and wait for them to credit us back. It's a pain in the royal butt but the dollars add up if you aren't carefult, so that the amount you think you saved by buying specials, is negated by the incorrect/higher amount being charged at check out.

sammieswife.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I am making a freakload of money, and wrapping up my twenty year mortgage. Slowly chipping off any outstanding debts. All I have to do is keep doing what I'm doing and we will be fine. Too bad my JW hubby is oblivious to the bubble I'm keeping him in.

What kind of helped was to follow my passions and take opportunities as they came by. Nowadays, I'm an acknowledged expert and I can start calling the shots. Here are two links that really helped.

http://www.authentichappiness.sas.upenn.edu/Default.aspx

http://www.businessballs.com/sevenhabitsstevencovey.htm

• sacolton
    sacolton

My family has made some cuts ...

1. Netflix: From 4 out to 3. (Save $8)

2. Internet bandwidth from 15mbit to 9mbit (Save $23)

3. Cancelled gym membership (Save $32)

4. Cancelled HBO and SHOWTIME (Save $15)

Gotta trim the fat to survive.

• nelly136
    nelly136

i try and multi cook and freeze where possible too,

if i've got to cook 1-2 portions of rice i'll cook 2kg of the stuff and decant it in to portions in sandwhich bags and freeze it,

if i'm making spag bol i'll make 8-12 pints in one hit and freeze the rest in portions,

if i'm making frikadellas i'll make it in ratio of 1kg of pork mince to 1 economy loaf bulk it out with economy packs of stuffing lots of onions and then freeze the extra portions, last batch i ended up with 15lb of frikadellas to freeze in portions.

if i have potatoes growing arms and legs and excess veg on the turn in the cupboard i'll turn them into bubble and squeak and freeze those in portions too.

leftover veg from dinners also makes great bubble n squeak.

If i'm making one quiche i'll make 6 cook them all in one hit and freeze the excess.

half a tin of food left in a tin can turn so i decant into sandwhich bags.

pizzas...make own instead of buying.

when i can afford to i'll buy half a pig from the butchers, you pay one set price per kilo as opposed to paying the much higher rates for the posh cuts and the meat doesnt shrink like the supermarket water and fat pumped stuff. tastes better too. the butcher chops it ito the portion sizes you want per meal.

stale bread long as its not going mouldy makes great toast, homemade breadcrumbs, bread pudding, bread and butter pudding, french toast (toast now eat crunchy when cooled)

• nelly136
    nelly136

if you buy a loaf or rolls and theyre just on the stale turn you can give em a very quick douse or sprinkle under the tap, throw them in a very hot oven for a couple to few mins (pending on size) and they come out like fresh baked bread complete with recrisped crust.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I have become very cheap at the grocery store, and try not to throw away food. In other words eat what you have before buying more. I use to drop 150.00 a trip and throw out at least 1/3. Now....I use coupons, spend 50.00 and use everything I have.

We have 2 late model gas guzzlers....It has taken me 2 months to go through a tank of gas, and I'm wondering why we need the extra car. Maybe sell both and buy one that gets more gas mileage and save a heap on insurance too.

The gas is killing us literally. Filling a Ford F150 three times a week is sick, sick, sick!

I just recently thought about cancelling HBO....but we don't go out so I figure thats our entertainment budget. (have cancelled gym memberships and Netflix)

Our kids are on their own (supposedly) but drop in weekly to get $20.00 here or there to put gas in their tanks before their latest pay check. Also both wind up eating like horses. My youngest son just got a whopping ticket and he was told that if the insurance rates go up he's making up the difference, and no, we will not be paying the ticket for him. I would rather they move back home and pay rent. I'm real cheap when it comes to the power bill.....air is at 78 degrees and all lights off unless you are in the room.

r.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Last night I called my credit card company and told them if they didn't lower my interest rate I was going to switch cards to one of the those Free balance transfer and 3.9%, they lowered my interest rate 9% down, I am going to do that with my other card, I only have 2 and have been paying them down.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

It's up and down for me, now I am in a up but I'm trying to keep at that. We are expecting a baby girl in July so I must save as much as possible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit