What should I do with all of these books?

by Confession 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Confession
    Confession

While growing up, my dad maintained a rather huge WTS library. I liked the idea of being able to pick out one of those old books from the1940s or earlier and read what they were saying back then. Well for the first time, in September of 2006 at the age of 40, I finally became a home-owner. Life has taken its twists and turns since then, but I'm finally beginning to think I'm going to be here awhile, and am starting to actually put this place together, little by little.

Today my nice, sturdy 84" X 48" book case was delivered, and I've been busting out all those boxes of books that have been sitting in the corner of my front room for almost two years. I'm going to love putting together my library--and fully expect to purchase another of those book cases one day soon. But I came upon one large and one medium-sized box of WTS books, and I don't know what to do with them. I always considered it smart to maintain a small library of such books so that I could research or refute some of their writings should I be in the position to do so with friends or family one day. But now I'm thinking, "Why hang onto any of this stuff any longer? Shouldn't I just purge myself of all of it?" I've got lots of books, bibles and Kingdom Ministries--many from my childhood. Should I just toss 'em in a box and put 'em in storage?

What do you think?

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

If you have a January 15th 1983 Watchtower which has "Avoid Independant Thinking" article, you should send that to Bring_the_Light so he can include it in his sacriligious home decorating.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

File the whole works under a new category ( contrived bullshit ) and please make sure no children ever read them

• StAnn
    StAnn

I'm collecting JW literature because my family won't believe ANY scans, as they could be altered. You never know what kind of crazy things you might find in the literature, so I'm keeping anything I can get my hands on. You can try to sell this stuff on eBay, if you don't want it. Lots of people buy this kind of stuff.

• lilyflor
    lilyflor

Got rid of my collection just last week. Finally!

I had a whole bookcase full. i boxed everything up 2 years ago - I could no longer stand to look at it, but I still couldn't throw it out, you know just in case I put the boxes in the garage.

Last week, I finally got fed up. I already wasted 25 years, i am not wasting another day. If someone is going to believe what I have to say about the watchtower or the bible they can most certainly look it up in their own literature, if they are so inclined.

Of course I kept the 2004 CD, just in case.

lilyflor

• mind my own
    mind my own

Hmm, I'm not sure what you should do. Make sure no one else reads it though, you wouldn't want anyone getting any crazy ideas in their heads!

I also discovered a box of books and such a few years back. I took them all to the dump (instead of recycling) and took great pleasure throwing them out of my truck into the landfill...kind of wish I would have hung on to a few things at least, just for points of reference if I ever needed it. Oh well, I have all of you here should I ever need it. I must say, it felt GREAT to throw that crap away!

MMO

• loosie
    loosie

some of them can bring you some nice change on ebay.

• shamus100
    shamus100

I went through my books and took out any identifiable marks and left them at the kingdumb hall. There may have been people inside, but, with the lack of windows I was able to make a hasty escape without detection.

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

Other than keeping historically relevant books, here's a few ideas I have for them:

This could be an economically advantageous situation you have here. With the raise in gas prices, everything is going up these days, even toilet paper. Now, I know what you are thinking. "Wiping my butt with Watchtower pages is not going to be very pleasant." But have you tried it? I mean, have you really given it a chance? I would liken it to switching from Charmin to Scott, no worse than that surprisingly. You see, Scott toilet paper is not thick and soft, it is smooth and kind of shiny, just like Watchtower paper. You get used to it much quicker than you might think. Now, if you have a hankerin for paper that is more fluffy, look no further than your shelf of WT books. But, you might want to look at books pre-1970s. You see, the paper was thicker then and had more of a texture. My testimony here is that I actualy prefer the newer stuff, being raised a Scott man as I was. But in a pinch, no pun intended, that thick old yellowing paper does a might good job at cleaning out all those crevices. So, consider using WT toilet paper. If you do, it will all work out in the end.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

ebay

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit