My Elder Dad said "what changes"

by Champion 13 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

Yeah, I need the one that shows how the old WT lit says the same basic teaching as the new generation understanding.....so not NEW light but finally just recycled crap...........oompa

I will try to find it

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

How about this thread?

"This generation will by no means pass away . . ."

What did Jesus mean? What cause is there for confidence in the current JW interpretation of "This generation"?

Way back in 1927, this was answered in a segment entitled "Interesting Questions. "The irresistible conclusion therefore is that Jesus referred to the new creation when he said: 'This generation shall not pass until all these things be fulfilled.' This then would be a strong indication that some members of the new creation will be on the earth at the time of Armageddon." (The Watchtower, February 15, 1927)

From 1942 to 1995 the "generation" in question was interpreted as anyone, wicked or righteous, who saw 1914 and survives to experience the outbreak of Armageddon. After several minor revisions on who was old enough to have "seen" 1914, this doctrine was finally abandoned 80 years after 1914.

From 1995 to 2008 the "generation" in question was interpreted as "the evil contemporary generation" and "an evil 'generation'" of people identifiable by certain characteristics. (w95 11/1 p. 14 par. 18; w95 11/1 p. 16 par. 3, pp. 19-20 pars. 10-13)

A recent Watchtower study changed it to, "these anointed ones make up the modern-day 'generation' of contemporaries that will not pass away 'until all these things occur.' This suggests that some who are Christ's anointed brothers will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins." (The Watchtower, February 15, 2008, pp. 21-25, par. 15)

The doctrine from 1942 to 1995 is mutually exclusive of the doctrine from 1927 to 1942, the doctrine from 1995 to 2008, and the doctrine that returned to the 1927 explanation in 2008. If we accept the current doctrine as correct then we must believe the following:

1927 to 1942: Correct!

1942 to 1995: Wrong. (Not mistaken, just plain wrong)

1995 to 2008: Wrong. (Not mistaken, just plain wrong)

2008 to ????: Correct! Again, after 66 years of being wrong.

During that 66 years from 1942 to 2008, was the spirit guiding them into error? They had the EXACT same teaching on this point in 1927 that they promote as truth today, this is not an example of tacking (sailing term) toward the truth, this is a direct reversal of course to a previously taught and twice rejected doctrine.

What sort of light behaves this way? A strobe light.

How could anyone have any confidence that the current doctrine, harking back to 1927, is true? When will it change again, and to what? And when it changes, will that be truth or will this? Will it change back to this again later?

The 1927 doctrine called itself an "irresistable conclusion". Although this conclusion was plainly resisted for 66 years, eventually these words have apparently proved correct—but for how long?

To read the 1927 article in context, click Watchtower, February 15, 1927 "Interesting Questions"

• asilentone
    asilentone

the only change will be no more home book study groups effective January 2009. They think the end is near!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

No wonder. The organization has been making penny ante changes throughout all its time, and bigger changes when they were hijacked by Booze Rutherford. Such changes include the complete (double) donation arrangement, numerous changes in Kingdumb Hell construction and finance policies, having one of the Great Boasting Sessions downgraded to a Big Boasting Session, eliminating food arrangements at bigger boasting sessions, and nominal reduction in pioneer time requirements.

More recently, it has continued. Since 2006 began, they reduced the Asleep! to one issue a month instead of two. They also have more "special" campaigns designed to provide easy but stagnating field circus. They are cracking down hard on college and independent research. Just this year, they started one of the washtowels as a Showcase Edition and the other as a Kool-Aid Edition. In this constant flux, the deletion of the book study is just another of a seemingly endless series of changes.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Watchtower Comments 4.14.08 The Generation

"What we will find is that this is not a new understanding, but a return to older beliefs."

Good luck. I don't know your situation, but it's often better to frame information as a question. E.g. 'I'm having trouble understanding/believing this because of this. Can you explain?' It can seem less of an attack and be less likely to trigger the mind control defenses.

• logic
    logic

With all these changes maybe the light is getting brighter. I mean you got to admit it is getting easier to see how looney the whole watchtower thing is.

• still_in74
    still_in74
    He says "I don't know anything about that"?????

because most JW's dont listent to details, they dont understand them and just presume the elder giving the part has it figured out and the WTS would NEVER lie (deceive)

At my KH - when an elder reviewed the annual meeting change about the Generation I was at the edge of my seat elbowing my wife to listen. 2 Pioneers came to our house after and neither of them even heard it mentioned. I actually had to explain to them what the current/previous generation teaching was !

And as for 1935 - almost no witnesses understand this. They just kept repeating it cause they had heard it mentioned for so many years. This is likely the case for your father.

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

Arguing with a Jehovah's Witness is hard because you first have to teach them what their religion teaches.

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

B_Deserter you made me spit my pop all over the screen.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

My wife said - the scripture says do not forsake the gathering of yourselves together AND EVEN MORE SO ,as you behold the day drawing near.

So she was very shocked at no more bookstudy -she thought there would be an EXTRA meeting, not less

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit