Why I post about atheism

by nvrgnbk 64 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Where does your sense of a "positive outcome" come from? From the examples you gave, you see destruction as "bad". Like me, you view anything that harms the innocent as "bad". There is something in your soul that calls out for justice, for "good". Where does that feeling come from? It's not rational.

My sense of of a "positive outcome" comes from the commonality of all human experience.

Robust health is preferred over sickness.

The nurturing of children is viewed as positive while neglect and abuse is seen as negative.

A degree of material wealth is seen as positive in contrast with abject poverty.

That there are sick, neglected, abused, and poor people doesn't change the fact that we don't want to find oursleves in their predicament.

I know no one that is emotionally healthy that views the violent and sudden death of their fellow humans, especially the very young, as a "positive outcome".

Those brainwashed by nationalism or religious fervor may be desensitized to such things, but generally speaking, we don't need a Higher Power or any works of literature supposedly authored by Him to tell us how to react to a tragic waste of intelligent life.

Evolution has favored the human desire to perpetually improve ourselves and our world.

That some act in a way that is contrary to our shared common interest, we probably all have in one way or another at some point in time, hasn't prevented humanity from achieving continued progress in the preservation of life and the enhancement of its quality.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I tend to agree with you, nvr. Our sense of justice is a combination of our natural desire to protect the young and vulnerable, historical and societal norms. We are all a combination of all our experience and nature.

I would go a step farther and suggest that there is an external set of values of "good" and "bad", that transends our upbringing and natural nature.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    We are all a combination of all our experience and nature.

That's an excellent definition for Naturalism.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    Not true!!! Atheism is Faith that there is no God, and that it's OK, one is not required.

altSo not true.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Anyone who demands to be worshiped, or else he'll kill you, is a nutjob. If there is a god and he's a nutjob, I refuse to worship him.

I am with changeling on this one.

Philip

I agree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit