Any Lawyers here?

by dwtnphotog 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

I just have something running through my mind.

I heard through the grapevine that both of my grandparents died a couple years ago. The sad part is that it isn't a big loss.

My question come here: I know all of us grandchildren were in the will for $10,000. Unfortunately, my uncle is the executor of the estate. He is an elder, which makes me trust him even less.

As executor of the estate, can he decide not to give us our share since we are no longer associated with the truth? Personally, I think that might be illegal!

Any thoughts?

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Nope he has to do as the will says

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

if he even messes around with the will or the estate you can have the court turn over the estate in probate and that way everyone listed on the will, will get a fair share of the entire estate, IF he is found not to abide to the will.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Is it a will or did he have a living trust?

• nelly136
    nelly136

if they died 2 years ago wouldnt the people named in the will have been paid by now?

• llbh
    llbh

I am not a lawyer bit i do have an Hnours degree in Law from the Uk

In the Uk all trustees and lawyers have a fiduciary duty to carry out the wishes of the deceased as expressed in thier will. Having said i would see a registeed lawyer in your jurisdiction to establish your interest if you are at all worried

I would also contact your uncle as well letting him know what you are doing

2 years does seem a long time to wait to receive your inheritance

David

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

what state did the deceased live in? Sounds like a formal will if he has an executor, the executor only acts on behalf of the deceased party, has the responsibilty to carry out the will and to pay off debts, liens, claims etc. to the estate, but can not use the estate for his own benefit. If he trys you can contact lawyer to contest only if the party is not caring out the will. It will not hold up in court if the reason why he doesn't carry out is your standing in a religion unless it states in the will, and even then you can still contest.

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

actually can take up to 4 years to pay out, the estates responsibities has to be met before heirs are paid. Do you know if they left a lot of bills, taxes, etc. behind? Do you have a copy of the will? You don't have to contact the Executor to get a copy of the will if you are listed you can contact the attorney.

• dwtnphotog
    dwtnphotog

How would I even know who to contact? I know it was a will and it was in the state of California

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

do you know which county? I'd start with the superior court for that county, they are sure to have estate filings on file.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit