Preparing for Armageddon

by Wordly Andre 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

man what paranoia - I remember it all. What a sick religion, scaring the bejabbers out of little kids on purpose. I had nightmares for years.

• JK666
    JK666

I have a nice pair of Revo's. Let the fireworks begin!

JK

• HB
    HB

It's not just JWs or other religious believers who are preparing for an apocalypse and have a suitcase packed.

According to a recent BBC article, there is a new breed of affluent and educated people who are stocking up and building bolt-holes with a view to surviving through impending doom, whether it be a natural disaster, a global pandemic, oil or food running out or general society meltdown.

This "cult of fear" is not a new phenomenon as such, but what is different is that the new breed of "survivalists" are afraid of everything, whereas previous generations focused on only one topic such as nuclear war.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7379741.stm

I suppose JWs would at best laugh at these people?

I feel there is something deep in the human psyche completely unconnected to religious belief which pre-disposes many of us, from the writers of Revelations and over the ages down to the present day (and quite feasibly including our pre-historic ancestors too), to believe in the possibility or even the likelihood of an Armageddon-like scenario happening in our own time.

• Highlander
    Highlander

My Grandfather built a secret hidden room in his house. This room was stocked with world war II food rations, a couple of guns, ammo, knives, ham radios, etc. On his property he also had two underground fuel tanks. I believe each had a few hundred gallons of fuel in them.

The witnesses of today are quite tame and lame compared to the older generations.

• oompa
    oompa
    chickpea: oompa.... what is the $300 for? i cannot imagine what sort of commerce is going to exist during or after the big A?! lmao!

Hookers.....in case my wife doesn't make it...........oompa

• LoverOfTruth
    LoverOfTruth

I wasn't raised a JW but I always believed in a God who loved me more than anything you could imagine. With that said, I never believed he would hurt people in such a cruel way the watchtower teaches. I often said, "the God I love doesn't act like that"

I never prepared for armageddon. Neither was I so foolish as to not prepare for the future. I know some who cashed out retirement accounts and so so forth. (One JW cashed his out and took the family to Disneyworld)

Many JWs didn't encourage their children to go to College; I didn't give my kids an option.

It's no wonder, I didn't make it as a "Good" Jehovah's Witness and never quite fit in.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I was told that the only way to prepare was to go out in field circus all the time, go to all the boasting sessions, and obey every single rule found in the Washtowels and Kingdumb Miseries, along with the ones Brother Hounder made up.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I wasn't afraid of it - I was looking forward to this new world! We didn't do anything weird though, like stockpile food / blankets and the like.

• deelly_mg
    deelly_mg

This is a story I heard while growing up. I was born in 76... I guess I was supposed to be a paradise baby. Growing up, I would hear the stories about how "ridiculous" things got in 75... and/or how misguided or misinterpreted the society was back then... they never said 75!!! anyway, moving on.

This brother in the congregations was prepping himself up for the upcoming great Tribulation... and how we're supposed to survive off the land live in the wilderness etc... so he would randomly pick a flower (a rose, daisy, what have you) look at it and say: "how beautiful is jehovah's creation" and proceed to eat it. He claimed we need to learn to eat whatever was available..

• Wordly Andre
    Wordly Andre

Yeah I'm not talking about having a Emergency kit, heck even I have one in case of Earthquake, Water, food, first aid kit, candles, etc. but I'v heard of families who practiced for when the Big A would hit, I also remember them talking about putting away cash and silver to use to pay off the evil worldly people who might come and take your kids away. I just remember as a kid it was talked about soo often that armageddon was just right around the corner and to be prepared for it and every night that you fell asleep you may be awaken in the middle of the night and the world would be over.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit