Just about had it with Microsoft... thinking about converting to Apple!!!

by Elsewhere 18 Replies latest jw friends

• TD
    TD
    For years I have been waiting for MS to make Windows Mobil (for cell phones) into a system that actually works and is easy to use. For years I have been waiting for MS to make a sync system that allowed me to reliably sync my cell phone with my computer.

I'm so with you on that Elsewhere. I can connect a Blackberry device to an Exchange Server with my eyes closed. Connecting Windows Mobile devices to an Exchange server (Especially if there is an ISA Server involved) is a real struggle.

It's ironic. You would think Microsoft would have an edge over companies like RIM when it comes to their own products.....

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

30 years in the IT field has taught me:

I will never buy another Wintel box again.

My Wintel machines at home will diminish through attrition while the Apple hoard will expand to dominate every room of the house.

From a user point of view, Apple does everything I want at a fraction of the frustration.

Oh, Clippy...!

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I just bought a new Mac OS X two weeks ago and so far I love it. Not being a computer wizard, I can't make a comment on system comparisons, but this product is great. There is no doubt that when you buy a Mac, you buy the store. My local Apple Store must have 15 people or more working there and no matter when I go, the place is jammed with customers. I paid the extra $99.00 for the One to One instruction and so far I'm not disappointed. HappyDad

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I feel the need to chime in that I'm not much of a MAC guy, but I'm the very proud owner of an iPhone, and holy shit, if you don't have an iPhone you are a steaming, drooling, fumbling moron. The iPhone makes me suspect there may be a god out there afterall. Its that awesome.

I don't think I'll ever switch to the MAC OS for my computing. Apple's philosophy to keep things simple and easy to use might be the way to go for your mobile device, but I like the freedom to do "anything" with my desktop, even if there are some hassles involved. There are things you just can't do with a MAC.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I bought my first mac back in 2003. It was a powermac G4 tower. Ever since then I have been all mac all the time.

I'm no mac snob. I like the product, but have no intention of becoming part of the 'cult of mac' were I try and convert others. I think its a superior product and that's why I stay with it. If a better product comes along form another vendor, i'll move. At this point that seems like a far ways off. So I'm sticking with mac for now. Vista was interesting, but no where near what I thought it was going to be.

If you're looking at a desktop, go with the iMac, it is quite a bargain. The tower probably will be updated sometime late this summer so if you're not in a hurry I would suggest not going down that route. The Macbooks and Macbook pros are great machines as well, although they tend to really heat up after a while (i'm using a mac book pro). I would skip the mac book air, its a first generation machine and you will be paying for that privilege.

To get good tips on when to buy your mac use this site:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    My Wintel machines at home will diminish through attrition while the Apple hoard will expand to dominate every room of the house.

I'm guessing by Wintel you mean "windows, intel". Don't know if this is going to come as a shock to you but Apple computers as of a few years ago now all have intel chips in them ;)

• VM44
    VM44

Bring back DOS!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have a 6 mth old work laptop with XP that now takes 10 min to startup. It runs explorer which crashes everytime I open a tab - hence I use Firefox now.

I have a home laptop with Vista to gets gets the blue screen of death, plus the screen flickers black when launching programs. Not to mention the pop ups when I launch programs.

I too am considering a Mac next time around, particularly since 90% of my time on the computer is surfing the Internet. I have recently switched to Google docs, and love the offline feature that means it automatically backs everything up. So MS office is not going to be needed for much longer either.

• brinjen
    brinjen

I gave up on MS Office years ago. I use OpenOffice. It's a free download, has all the features I need (not much different from Office actually) and it comes in versions for Windows, Linux & Mac. Reads Office files too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit