What happened when Jesus didn't COME BACK QUICKLY? History shows...

by Terry 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Terry
    Terry

Clearly people in the 1st Century who were Jews and Christians obviously felt THEY were living in the last days.

They lived in the Roman Empire. Jewish Apocalypticism influenced such thinking. It was a time of foment, upheaval and insecurity. The Sicarii and other Jewish militants were provoking a cataclysm with Rome (just as they had done in the time of the Macabees by provoking the Greeks.)

Predictions about THE END which come from the Bible must be read IN CONTEXT. They were spoken and written in a time and place in history.

Here is what happened.

The Jews, the transitional Jews-into-Christians and the Christians really, truly, honestly felt the Messiah was coming ANY MINUTE to bring about the restoration of God's righteous rule upon Earth.

The words, sentiments, expressions and famous scriptures we cite clearly express the actual viewpoint of NOW! (Their "now", not ours.)

But wait!

Jesus (nor any genuine Messiah) did NOT return.

Logically, you cannot stay on pins and needles waiting expectantly for an "impending event" which simply does NOT happen!

A change in viewpoint was necessary psychologically.

The imminent return of Messiah (Jesus or whomever) to END the world and start it anew---WAS GRADUALLY REPLACED.

By what?

A gradual Christianizing of the world by Saints!

This is what became the role of the Church under Constantine. The world would be changed by conversion and by good example!

The "soon he will return" became "we can bring about the new world through our own efforts".

Look at history. Read about the ideas, the theories, the movements within Christianity. See how they were thinking about things.

Every thought of Christians was to stay pure and undefiled (some becoming monks, recluses and such) until conversion of the world took place.

The Puritans thought they could become perfect! The New World (America) would be a shining City on the Hill run by Pure Christians and serve as a beacon to persuade the rest of the world to become Christianized and bring about the end of human corruptions!)

READ CHURCH HISTORY! It is all there.

By the time the 18th and 19th century rolled around: THIS THEORY HAD EXHAUSTED ITSELF AS WELL. People weren't becoming more and more nearly perfect. They were becoming tired of rules, punishments, isolation from enjoyment in life. Programs, charities, preachments had not brought about the perfecting of society at all. The wars proved it. Disillusionment was enevitable.

Then what happened?

Another change BACK TO THINKING IT WAS GOING TO COME ANY MINUTE NOW!

We've come full circle.

Remember, the Jehovah's Witnesses of today are merely a branch of the failed prognostications of William Miller and his subsequent 2nd Adventist followers!

Pastor Russell founded this religion on the castoff bunkum of charts about Pyramids, Dispensations, calculations and crackpot imaginations!

Russell caught people's fancy because they were damned well ready for an outside part (Jesus) to get it all over with while they were still around to see it happen.

The catch-phrase Rutherford banged into people's minds, you'll recall was: MILLIONS NOW LIVING WILL NEVER DIE!

Jehovah's Witnesses experienced in 1975 EXACTLY what the Jews and proto-Christians experienced in AD 70!

Now, another turning of the circle is about to take place.

The wheel of theory will turn back to "change the world through example, conversion and such."

The more things change; the more they remain the same.

Here is what we have:
    1.Jews, proto-Christians: cataclysm will bring about a violent end and restore God's kingdom
    2.None-event followed by new theory: change the world by conversion
    3. Tired of failure to change the world: change :the world will end soon by Armageddon (Catholicism failed. Protestantism flourished.)
    4.Pastor Russell: Armageddon will bring God's Kingdom (Soon!) Followed by non-Armageddon World War I
    5.Rutherford (after non-event) change: convert people by door to door preaching, THEN, ARMAGEDDON (combination of two theories)
    6.Back and forth from soon, soon SOON to a downtime of preaching and more human efforts

Christians all over the world are stuck between the non-event of the no-show Jesus and the conversion by example theories.

Jehovah's Witnesess managed to bring Jesus back in 1914, but can't get him to budge on Armageddon!

This leaves them with a conversion work, an example work and a constant cry of SOON! SOON! SOON!

The endless wheel of no-show Armageddon never seems to lose its appeal.

Why?

(Wait for it............................wait for it.......................wait for it......................................here it comes..............:OTHERWISE THEY ALL HAVE TO ADMIT IT IS ALL A MYTH!)

Conclusion: rather than admit this whole enterprise was doomed by Jewish Apocalyptic thinking from the start, nobody will admit their error and move on!

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I agree; a book I enjoyed was
    The Lost Gospel: The Book of Q and Christian Origins
    by Burton Mack; he discusses the layers of sayings attributed to Jesus, using the changing situation of believers from 33 to 150 as the background.

Christianity has always had an element of apocalypse, found in Jewish sects of the day.

It is fascinating to learn the origins of Christian belief; it was helpful for me to read this book.

Others I liked include The Gnostic Gospels and The Gospel according to ST Thomas, by Elaine Pagels; and Misquoting Jesus.

• willyloman
    willyloman
    nobody will admit their error and move on!

An all-too-human shortcoming. We see it all around us in both politics and religion where the strong tendency is to cling to the past and be terrified of change, or in an educational system devised for an earlier age and perpetuated by self interest, and so on.

Profound post.

• Quentin
    Quentin

I don't think Dominion Theology, or the "Shining City on the Hill" works either...Appears the only way any religion can bring change is by the sword.....

Below is how I think people see schreechers of the end times.....

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

-Are you telling me this wasn't written 150 years ago??

Rev. 22:20"He who testifies to these things says, “Yes, I am coming soon.” Amen. Come, Lord Jesus."

Just wondering; The Jews were waiting for a Messiah based on prophecy, but did old testament prophecy ever say there would be a second coming? Were they expecting the Messiah to just "drop by" and then come back again a couple thousand years later? More or less rhetorical questions, but...

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

It is the old,

'Do not put Jehovah your God to the test...' argument!

The,

'Do as you mother tells you and don't ask! argument!

Except the Biblical one is a lifetime achievement award.

I imagine many lived to a ripe old age 1900 years ago never once doubting the imminenece of Jesus arrival.

I'd like to see them come back just to see what they think of living a whole life, deluded by a framework of believe without questioning it!'

2000 years is a long time for billions not to ask any questions about the urgency of the last days everyone has lived through!

Are some of us still thinking that it was all divine expectation as a show of faith?

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Theres no end to human stupidity.

Monkey see, monkey do.

• Satanus
    Satanus

"This is what became the role of the Church under Constantine. The world would be changed by conversion and by good example!

The "soon he will return" became "we can bring about the new world through our own efforts"."

A loud cognitive dissonance, on a massive scale. The evangelization was an action to reduce the dissonance. The catholic church outlawed apocalypticism during one of the early centuries. It's PROTESTANTISM that has caught and spreads a new, more virulent strain of end times fever. Yuck.

S

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

There are many doubting Thomas' who are naturally justified in their skepticism, this is reasonable, don't believe something simply because someone says so, until it is revealed to you personally as in Saul 'seeing' Jesus, or the transfiguration. So the Parousia during the last days when Jesus comes along side his disciples would be a unique period of time, which clearly isn't now, which leads naturally to the thinking - 'maybe not in my lifetime', therefore, lets fix the problems that men have brought upon themselves, and lets stop making excuses for not getting off our asses and making a positive contribution towards a better world. Let's build something better while Jesus isn't here. http://www.thevenusproject.com/

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Don't forget that with the Lord, a day is as a thousand years and vice versa - ie he's outside time and not governed by it!

In that context, Jesus is coming back 'quickly' - sadly, it's the context that the apocalyptic believers seem to ignore.

Human existence on the earth is a mere speck on the 'timeline' of eternity and from that perspective, Jesus' words make sense (I'm not going down the right or wrong/truth or myth line, I'm just giving a Christian viewpoint!)

When we try to define God and Jesus within our human limitations - science, time, space etc - we just tie ourselves in knots (or as your post says, we go round in circles trying to make sense of it all). The truth is you simply can't put something far bigger than the box into it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit